Apple Store tipping, watchOS 10 at WWDC, Google Passkey support

Posted:
in General Discussion
Rumors say widgets could be coming to Apple Watch and Final Cut Pro to iPad, all while a unionized Apple Store is seeking customer tips -- all on the AppleInsider Podcast.

watchOS 10 could feature widgets
watchOS 10 could feature widgets

WWDC is only a month away, and rumors are everywhere. Your hosts discuss watchOS 10 and the diverging reports about widgets versus folders.

An increasingly shaky source suggests Final Cut Pro is coming to iPad -- eventually. While this rumor isn't new, 2025 feels like a long time to wait when iPad Pro is approaching its tenth anniversary.

The unionized Apple Store in Towson, Maryland, is entering negotiations with Apple again. The most noteworthy request is for the ability to receive customer tips at checkout.

Twenty games launched for Apple Arcade at once. Wes and Stephen share the games they are interested in and discuss the merits of Apple's gaming service.

Contact our hosts

Sponsored by:

• Kolide: Kolide ensures only secure devices can access your cloud apps. Plus, it's Zero Trust, tailor-made for Okta. Book a demo today when you visit: kolide.com/appleinsider

Links from the show

Support the show

Support the show on Patreon or Apple Podcasts to get ad-free episodes every week, access to our private Discord channel, and early release of the show! We would also appreciate a 5-star rating and review in Apple Podcasts

More AppleInsider podcasts

Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.

Subscribe and listen to our AppleInsider Daily podcast for the latest Apple news Monday through Friday. You can find it on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or anywhere you listen to podcasts.

Podcast artwork from Basic Apple Guy. Download the free wallpaper pack here.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]

Subscribe to AppleInsider on:

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    While I tip pretty well overall. I’m not in favor of,tipping in a store. I could see,this leading to tipping everywhere. It’s just too much. As it is, tipping in restaurants has gone overboard. It used to be that a 15% tip was considered to be good. I’ve been tipping 20% for a long time. But now, with the handheld payment machines, like they have in the EU and elsewhere, it starts at 18%, goes to 20, then 23 and even 25%. Whoa!

how do I decide to tip in a store? If I pick a product, and then someone checks me out, do I really have to tip for that? No, that’s not right. Maybe if they helped me extensively, but still… Apple needs to pay these people properly. Maybe take a billion from their 90 billion buyback and give it to store workers. Seriously, they can afford it. And as a shareholder, I would applaud it.
    edited May 2023 mark fearingmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Dooofus said:
    Shareholders want a return on their investment.  Why should Apple pay workers any more than they do now? The stores are fully staffed by people working there of their own free will. That means they are already paying the right amount. Any more would be pissing away profit.
    I'm as big a capitalist fanboy as anyone, but this is nonsense.

Without speaking to the Apple Store situation, of which I know nothing, just because an employer has employees doesn't mean they are paying "the right amount."  I'm sure if Google (or Apple) capped it's pay at $100K, they would still have no trouble hiring 10s of thousands of human beings. Would they be world-class engineers, etc.? Probably not. And if they were, would they be as content and productive as if they were making a salary commensurate with their skill set? I doubt it.

It is very possible for an employer to be underpaying people and still have employees. Therefore, it can be in the best interest of a company (and its shareholders) to increase employee pay even if all their positions are currently filled. If nothing else, employee turnover is very expensive (as is churn in most contexts).

Here's an extreme example. Suppose the Golden State Warriors (the NBA team closest to Cupertino) decided to not pay any players more than the league minimum. Would they be able to field a team of 15 players?  Absolutely.  There are thousands of former Division 1 hoopsters who would be happy to be professional basketball players, regardless of the salary. Would the owners profit from this move? Probably not.
    hammeroftruth9secondkox2muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mark fearingmark fearing Posts: 420member
    I think tipping is a bad idea for a number of reasons, not the least of which is - which employee earns the tip? Are they breaking tips out? What about the employee who spends all day with someone to make a sale vs the person who moves through 20 customers? It will lead to problems. One of the best things about the Apple Store experience is that there is no pushy sales stuff. Some employees are going to push for tips and cause issues. And the customer does not benefit. Fight for a higher wage. Not the right to shake down buyers.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Dooofus said:
    Shareholders want a return on their investment.  Why should Apple pay workers any more than they do now? The stores are fully staffed by people working there of their own free will. That means they are already paying the right amount. Any more would be pissing away profit.
    That’s ridiculous! People get jobs because they need jobs. Even seemingly happy working for Apple, they could easily be underpaid. That’s not right no matter how you think about it. Apple is the worlds richest company. So there’s no excuse.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Dooofus said:
    Dooofus said:

Without speaking to the Apple Store situation, of which I know nothing, just because an employer has employees doesn't mean they are paying "the right amount."  I'm sure if Google (or Apple) capped it's pay at $100K, they would still have no trouble hiring 10s of thousands of human beings. Would they be world-class engineers, etc.? Probably not. And if they were, would they be as content and productive as if they were making a salary commensurate with their skill set? I doubt it.

It is very possible for an employer to be underpaying people and still have employees. Therefore, it can be in the best interest of a company (and its shareholders) to increase employee pay even if all their positions are currently filled. If nothing else, employee turnover is very expensive (as is churn in most contexts).
    From a September, 2022 article on Shopify.com:

"Apple generates $5,500 per square foot, and Tiffany & Co.brings in nearly $3,000 per square foot. There is a stark difference in brands from other sectors. Walmart and Target, for example, reportedly generate $400 and $300 per square foot, respectively."

So yes, they are absolutely doing it right. They don't need smarter or happier employees, and apparently they are also good at managing turnover.
    That’s nonsense. Maybe they would generate $6,000 per square foot. And, by the way, the number for Apple used to be even higher. I believe at one point it reached $7,500 per square foot. Apple throws money away. Buying back another $90 billion in shares. They also have around $130 billion in debt to help buy shares back over the years. Do we really need that? No. There wouldn’t be unionization efforts if Apple just did the right thing for their employees.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 9
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,666member
    Tipping an Apple retail worker? Are you kidding? The pay scale doesn’t rely on tips and they want to pressure you to just give them your money? The heck? I’ve heard of entitlement, but sheesh. 

It’s not as if they slaved over your product. No one wants to. Spend an arm and leg on electronics and then get pressured for more from a money grubbing shark. That’s what Subway and used car lots are for. 

Gross. 

They are actually purposely trying to ruin the Apple experience. 
    edited May 2023
  • Reply 7 of 9
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,303member
    From what I’ve been told, a retail employee is not allowed to receive tips and can get terminated for it. It’s not like you’re going to see a tip recommendation on your receipt like at a restaurant.  
    I believe what the unions are asking is that if a customer wants to tip an employee for going above and beyond, it would be ok for said employee to accept it. 

I have seen a customer try to slip an employee a cash tip and got upset when the employee kept kindly rejecting it. It wasn’t until the employee told his customer he was not allowed and could get fired that the customer stopped.
    this happened at the Genius Bar when a customer thought he lost all his pictures on his iPhone that wouldn’t power on and the technician was able to help the customer get the device to power on and backed up his photos to an external drive that he purchased during his appointment. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Dooofus said:
    melgross said:
    Dooofus said:
    Dooofus said:

From a September, 2022 article on Shopify.com:

"Apple generates $5,500 per square foot, and Tiffany & Co.brings in nearly $3,000 per square foot. There is a stark difference in brands from other sectors. Walmart and Target, for example, reportedly generate $400 and $300 per square foot, respectively."

So yes, they are absolutely doing it right. They don't need smarter or happier employees, and apparently they are also good at managing turnover.
    That’s nonsense. Maybe they would generate $6,000 per square foot. And, by the way, the number for Apple used to be even higher. I believe at one point it reached $7,500 per square foot. Apple throws money away. Buying back another $90 billion in shares. They also have around $130 billion in debt to help buy shares back over the years. Do we really need that? No. There wouldn’t be unionization efforts if Apple just did the right thing for their employees.
    As I always say, start your own retail business and you can pay your employees a million bucks a year. I wish you the best of luck with it. In the meantime, Apple will continue to be one of, if not the most, successful companies in the world with out any help from you. LOL
    I had two companies. My last one, which was around for about 28 years, until my partner and I sold it, had 85 employees at its peak, including a bunch serving customers. Yes, I understand how it works, do you, really? I’ve also been a shareholder of Apple for many years as those who have been around here know. I’ve got a fair number of shares, so I do believe that Apple knows how to run its business. But nevertheless, cheating out with employees isn’t the answer. The amount needed to make them happy is trivial to Apple.
    muthuk_vanalingam