Apple Watch Series 9 may get speed boost from new chip based on A15

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2023

Apple will be making a big update to the chip used in the Apple Watch Series 9, with the model's S9 chip apparently to be based on technology used in the A15, says Mark Gurman.

Apple Watch Ultra
Apple Watch Ultra

Apple's updates to the Apple Watch lineup typically has the company introducing a new S-series chip for the model. While the S8 used in the Apple Watch Series 8 wasn't much of an update from the S7 in the previous generation, the next Apple Watch range may take a leap forward.

In conversations within the "Power On" Discord channel for Bloomberg's newsletter by Mark Gurman, the writer responded to questions about the Apple Watch Series 9's chip. After confirming new models are "due for the updated SoC," Gurman offered the chip could be a lot more powerful than the change from S7 to S8.

"I think it'll be a new processor, not just a re-brand of the previous generation," he offers. When asked directly if he thinks the new Apple Watch chip could be based on the A15 Bionic, Gurman says "yes, I believe it is!"

From a power consumption standpoint alone, it won't be the A15 directly inserted into the device.

This is not the first time Gurman has discussed the next generation of Apple Watch models. On April 2, the newsletter talked about watchOS 10, and that it will include a "fairly extensive upgrade" with many "notable changes to the user interface."

At the time, Gurman proposed that it is "important" for watchOS to have a big year for the tenth version "given that Apple Watch hardware updates will be anything but major."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,247member
    Probably a cost savings measure? The watch doesn’t seem to need much more power unless it has to do support new usecases? 
  • Reply 2 of 12
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    The SoC is likely going to be significantly upgraded to run videos and animations more efficiently. Or even process bigger images than possible so users can zoom in with more details. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Rumors are just that, so it's a wait-and-see.   I have my Apple Watch 4 which still works quite well.  I think this is the year for an iPhone upgrade as my iPhone Xs will be 5 years old at that point.  I'm in the 5th year of using it.  I think it's time.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    I have the SE1, and it does all I need. I can’t see where it’s even slow enough to justify a speed boost. However, a smaller CPU process that leads to better battery efficiency is the best reason for a speed boost…just don’t boost it and let the efficiency take hold.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I don't care about added speed, my S7 is fast enough that there are no tasks where I wish it was faster. Battery, however, can use a ton of improvement. Hopefully this would facilitate greater battery life instead of speed improvements. I really don't want to have to get the Ultra just for it's battery life, but if there are no improvements in the regular models' battery, I'll be forced to when I next upgrade. As a runner, battery life is a constant struggle and balancing act.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I'm still on a Series 3 but then again, my Mac is a 2012 mini and my phone an Xs Max.I never thought as a 'techie' that I would fall so far behind.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 12
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 820member
    FINALLY a genuinely new SoC! Because it has been a bitch running FCP on my Apple Watch. Seriously, though, why? I mean, I get it from a marketing perspective--you need to have at least one reason for people to upgrade. And since it seems like the design will be relatively unchanged, plus no big breakthroughs like blood sugar or blood pressure sensors on the health front. there's always, "But it's faster!" If they can seriously improve the battery life with a new SoC, THAT would be a much more persuasive upgrade reason than more speed, which the Watch doesn't currently need. It would be like the faster chips they keep dropping in iPad, when that platform still can't make use of the horsepower it has had for several years. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    sloth77sloth77 Posts: 23member
    I don't care about added speed, my S7 is fast enough that there are no tasks where I wish it was faster. Battery, however, can use a ton of improvement. Hopefully this would facilitate greater battery life instead of speed improvements. I really don't want to have to get the Ultra just for it's battery life, but if there are no improvements in the regular models' battery, I'll be forced to when I next upgrade. As a runner, battery life is a constant struggle and balancing act.
    Interesting.  I use mine (in Workout mode) on cycle rides and never really notice any increased battery usage.  Maybe it polls more frequently when running....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    A15 has better instruction set architecture, neural engine and process node than A13, right? Much better battery life and more oomph.

If they are giving the neural engine a boost then we are in for a treat as Siri on the Apple Watch will become more meaningful and offline. Maybe this is the extra muscle the Apple Watch needs to throw off the shackles of iPhone and become a stand alone platform segment.

Very good news if true.
    mattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,120member
    sloth77 said:
    Interesting.  I use mine (in Workout mode) on cycle rides and never really notice any increased battery usage.  Maybe it polls more frequently when running....
    I've noticed some difference between days when I sit on my ass and days when I go on a 20 mile bike ride.  It's not enough different that I'd call it a "struggle" though.  However, it's possible that the OP lives in an area with coverage issues; I've noticed a difference on my phone, if not my watch, when I'm in an area where service is spotty.  Also, a GPS only watch might have different usage characteristics than one with a phone connection.  I suspect the temperature of the environment in which one is exercising might be a factor as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    sloth77 said:
    I've noticed some difference between days when I sit on my ass and days when I go on a 20 mile bike ride.  It's not enough different that I'd call it a "struggle" though.  However, it's possible that the OP lives in an area with coverage issues; I've noticed a difference on my phone, if not my watch, when I'm in an area where service is spotty.  Also, a GPS only watch might have different usage characteristics than one with a phone connection.  I suspect the temperature of the environment in which one is exercising might be a factor as well.
    I’ve noticed a big reduction in battery run time when I use my LTE Apple Watch alone (no iPhone) in an area with spotty cellular coverage, which for me unfortunately, is close to home.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFellerbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 12 of 12
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    On Series 6. Need to charge twice a day. Want better battery life.
    applebynature