Full-featured Final Cut Pro & Logic Pro coming to iPad in May

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    It's a reasonable price for a subscription to use a professional tool. I feel somewhat guilty opening FCPX everyday having paid c.$400 for it around 10 years ago and not a cent since. The subscription model also puts some pressure back onto Apple to keep the updates/improvements coming.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    csimmons said:
    Subscription from Apple for an app?
    No thanks. F*cking subscriptions everywhere for an app I sometimes use everyday, sometimes not for months.

If this happens with FCPX for macOS as well I’m off to Resolve. A shame because FCP is an excellent NLE (just very behind competitors in features) 
    There’s always one. Today it’s you, I guess.

I use Logic and FCPX every day. 49$ a year is less than I pay for 1 halfway decent third party plug-in. For pros / semipros, the software pays for itself. 
    Any word yet no how plug-in work with the iPad because apps having there own scripting support has been not allowed to date in iPadOS and is basically the main roadblock to pro-software (and better games)?

Given both Apple titles really need their plug-ins this could be a huge give away of a new future to drop at WWDC for iPadOS and MacOS. Mobable sandboxes. 
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Marvin said:
    No thanks. F*cking subscriptions everywhere for an app I sometimes use everyday, sometimes not for months.

If this happens with FCPX for macOS as well I’m off to Resolve. A shame because FCP is an excellent NLE (just very behind competitors in features) 
    This is the only way it could be done on iOS. If it was priced at $299 up-front like on the Mac App Store, almost nobody would buy it. Loads of people are willing to pay $4.99/month on mobile apps.

Also, part of the reason paid up-front software falls behind is because it eventually runs out of buyers. No recurring revenue means investing in it becomes an ever-growing loss.

FCP X would be fine as a $5/month subscription on Mac too or free with in-app purchase for higher-end features.
    The Apple allows for purchasing an App across all platforms. So I buy the Mac version and the price includes the iOS and iPadOS versions. So this isn't the only way this could be done. They could just sell FCP across all their platforms for 300 dollars. 

That said, I don't think subscription is unreliably priced and for people that are intermittent users they can cancel the subscription when they don't need it. Which would likely keep it much cheaper than buying it outright. 
  • Reply 24 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

A few years back, I would have agreed with you.  Now, after having Adobe's Photographer's subscription plan, I feel the constant updates make it worthwhile.  I think the same will be true of the pro apps from Apple.  Of course, the core utility apps that ship with Apple devices will continue for free, but I am sure any pro using the software can easily justify a small monthly fee for always having the updates.  It also means more likely the products won't suffer an EOL
    CheeseFreeze
  • Reply 25 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Dooofus said:
    The Logic Pro screen looks like it's mostly a rebranded Garage Band with a few extra features. There has always been some overlap and likely even shared code (Smart Drummer, etc.) over the years. The 2021 MacBook Pro in maxed out configuration makes it possible to effectively record at 96/24 with less than 5 milliseconds of latency. It prompted a lot of people to sell off their UA hardware. You can also put stacks of plugins on dozens of tracks without slowing things down. I seriously doubt this would be remotely possible on an iPad unless it is similarly provisioned (64 GB RAM, M? Max or Ultra, etc).
    Speaking of which, I wonder what the future of iMovie and GarageBand will be, now that FCP and LP are available on iPad.  
    I expect they will continue as is; they are a great introduction to the pro applications and a huge selling point for the hardware.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    mattinoz said:
    csimmons said:

There’s always one. Today it’s you, I guess.

I use Logic and FCPX every day. 49$ a year is less than I pay for 1 halfway decent third party plug-in. For pros / semipros, the software pays for itself. 
    Any word yet no how plug-in work with the iPad because apps having there own scripting support has been not allowed to date in iPadOS and is basically the main roadblock to pro-software (and better games)?

Given both Apple titles really need their plug-ins this could be a huge give away of a new future to drop at WWDC for iPadOS and MacOS. Mobable sandboxes. 
    Hopefully this answers some of your questions

Final Cut and Logic arrive on iPad: Questions and (some) answers – Six Colors
  • Reply 27 of 33
    shoeweeshoewee Posts: 3member
    Dooofus said:
    The Logic Pro screen looks like it's mostly a rebranded Garage Band with a few extra features. There has always been some overlap and likely even shared code (Smart Drummer, etc.) over the years. The 2021 MacBook Pro in maxed out configuration makes it possible to effectively record at 96/24 with less than 5 milliseconds of latency. It prompted a lot of people to sell off their UA hardware. You can also put stacks of plugins on dozens of tracks without slowing things down. I seriously doubt this would be remotely possible on an iPad unless it is similarly provisioned (64 GB RAM, M? Max or Ultra, etc).
    Speaking of which, I wonder what the future of iMovie and GarageBand will be, now that FCP and LP are available on iPad.  
    I don't see how they will ever remove iMovie or Garageband.  From an education perspective, it is a huge component of so many iPad deployments at schools.  FCP and Logic are just too complex for an elementary school student. Not to mention the issue I already shared previously is that we cannot purchase FCP or Logic as a school if they only have the in app purchase methodology.  There is no way to make in app purchases using School Manager.  I don't think Apple would cut these Apps and cripple a large part of how they are used in education. 
  • Reply 28 of 33
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,721member

Marvin said:

This is the only way it could be done on iOS. If it was priced at $299 up-front like on the Mac App Store, almost nobody would buy it. Loads of people are willing to pay $4.99/month on mobile apps.

Also, part of the reason paid up-front software falls behind is because it eventually runs out of buyers. No recurring revenue means investing in it becomes an ever-growing loss.

FCP X would be fine as a $5/month subscription on Mac too or free with in-app purchase for higher-end features.
    Subscription sucks. I was excited until I saw that. 
    You'd think Apple could charge less for those who already have it on Mac.  

A one-time fee for pro apps is fine - even on mobile. It's not like the iPad is some measley mobile afterthought. People paying for iPad pro are. already willing to spend to get the good stuff. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 33
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,255member

FYI: it wasn't that long ago that purchasing Logic Pro for Mac = $1000. 

I think I paid $500 for Logic Studio 8 and then another 300 or so for the LPX, plus a few plugins here and there, so the new price model isn’t too bad. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 33
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member

This is such a great deal for you!  $5 for the month you use it, then cancel for the months that you don't.  Final Cut Pro X (and Da Vinci Resolve Studio) on the Mac costs $300, but at that rate of subscription you won't spend the same amount for decades.  With free upgrades that entire time!
    spheric
  • Reply 31 of 33
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member

Er. It WAS that long ago, actually. 

The Logic Studio bundle cut the price to 500€, and that came out in 2007

Emagic Logic Platinum was $1000, naked (with only the most basic plugins). The full version, when you bought all available plugins, ran about $5000. But that was more than twenty years ago. Then Apple bought the company in 2002 IIRC, rolled all the plugins into the application and sold it as Logic Pro for $1000. 
  • Reply 32 of 33
    TinCookTinCook Posts: 11member
    It's past time for Final Cut lol. I'm glad it's here, but I wish we had it before. There should be an option to purchase it once.
    edited May 2023