Switchers away from Android boosted Apple marketshare in still-collapsing smartphone marke...

Posted:
in iPhone
The US smartphone market remained tough for manufacturers in the first calendar quarter of 2023, but Apple's market share grew as Android users moved to iOS.

iPhone shipments fell but Apple's market share grew anyway
iPhone shipments fell but Apple's market share grew anyway


Once again, Apple was the only company to see growth during a smartphone market contraction. As a result, it took the top place for global smartphone market share, and it also grew in the US, according to Counterpoint Research.




In the first quarter of 2023, smartphone shipments in the US fell by 17% compared to the same period in 2022. The decline occurred due to manufacturers' correction of high channel inventory and a decrease in consumer demand. All major manufacturers experienced a drop in shipments after a robust first quarter in 2022.

But Apple managed to grow its market share to 53% in the first quarter, up from 49% in the first quarter of 2022, although it saw a yearly decline in shipments. Samsung and Google were flat at 27% and 2%, respectively, neither growing nor declining in shipments.




Meanwhile, Motorola dropped from 10% to 8%, and TCL declined to 2% from 3%, year-over-year.

As is typical, the decrease in sales can be attributed to reduced consumer demand brought about by economic uncertainties like rising inflation. As a result, consumers refrained from buying new devices, especially in the prepaid market.

Analysts noted that young and first-time smartphone users propel the shift from Android to iOS and remain a significant challenge for Android manufacturers. However, some niche categories, such as foldable smartphones, may continue to perform well despite overall weakness.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 442member
    Way to go Apple. 
    watto_cobrajas99lolliverBart Y
  • Reply 2 of 8
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,043member
    Apple is headed to Japanese level smartphone marketshare in the United States.

    https://gs.statcounter.com/vendor-market-share/mobile/japan
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 3 of 8
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 760member
    danox said:
    Apple is headed to Japanese level smartphone marketshare in the United States.

    https://gs.statcounter.com/vendor-market-share/mobile/japan

    And when you look on China you see share jumped 10 % withing month
    https://gs.statcounter.com/vendor-market-share/mobile/china
    and therefore share in whole Asia.

    jas99lolliverBart Y
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jas99jas99 Posts: 158member
    Apple is dominating the industry. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 8
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,799member
    jas99 said:
    Apple is dominating the industry. 
    Let's not get carried away. This is the US market. Things are not the same elsewhere. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 8
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,580member
    avon b7 said:
    jas99 said:
    Apple is dominating the industry. 
    Let's not get carried away. This is the US market. Things are not the same elsewhere. 
    That comment was literally a reply to a post stating that China is seeing the same phenomenon. 

    https://gs.statcounter.com/vendor-market-share/mobile/china
    lollivertmay
  • Reply 7 of 8
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,799member
    spheric said:
    avon b7 said:
    jas99 said:
    Apple is dominating the industry. 
    Let's not get carried away. This is the US market. Things are not the same elsewhere. 
    That comment was literally a reply to a post stating that China is seeing the same phenomenon. 

    https://gs.statcounter.com/vendor-market-share/mobile/china
    As the post wasn't quoting anyone, I took it as a general comment on the article but my logic is that 19% is not dominating anything. 

    Also, if we take a peek at the Chinese market and include that information, it breaks the claim from the main article that 'Apple was the only company to see growth during a smartphone market contraction' as Counterpoint data indicates that Huawei Chinese sales were up 41% during the same period. 

    That claim is only valid in the context of the article which is limited to the US market. 

    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 8
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,398member
    avon b7 said:
    spheric said:
    avon b7 said:
    jas99 said:
    Apple is dominating the industry. 
    Let's not get carried away. This is the US market. Things are not the same elsewhere. 
    That comment was literally a reply to a post stating that China is seeing the same phenomenon. 

    https://gs.statcounter.com/vendor-market-share/mobile/china
    As the post wasn't quoting anyone, I took it as a general comment on the article but my logic is that 19% is not dominating anything. 

    Also, if we take a peek at the Chinese market and include that information, it breaks the claim from the main article that 'Apple was the only company to see growth during a smartphone market contraction' as Counterpoint data indicates that Huawei Chinese sales were up 41% during the same period. 

    That claim is only valid in the context of the article which is limited to the US market. 

    Well according to the link above, for April of this year, Apple's WW market share is around 30% and Huawei's is around 4%. Given that Huawei is forced to use Qualcomm SOC's lacking 5G for anything competitive, I'd have to state that is a better result than I would have expected.
Sign In or Register to comment.