Apple loses third executive in two months in ongoing wave of company departures

Posted:
in General Discussion
Pete Distad, Apple's senior director of Video, Sports, and Apple TV+, is set to depart the company later in May.

Credit: Laurenz Heymann/Unsplash
Credit: Laurenz Heymann/Unsplash

Apple is losing yet another top executive following the departure of two executives in the last month.

Apple executive Pete Distad is leaving Apple after nearly a decade with the company. Distad joined up with Apple in August 2013 and led Apple's video and sports services. He also previously led the Apple TV hardware product marketing team.

Currently, it's not known why Distad is leaving Apple. There is no word on his future plans.

According to Bloomberg, Apple will be elevating sports content executive Jim DeLorenzo to replace Distad on the sports side, and it's now seeking a replacement for the TV business duties.

And, Distad's departure isn't the only one in 2023. Two prominent executives have headed out in the last month.

Vice President of engineering Mike Abbott recently departed Apple to lead auto maker GM's newly created software department. Sales executive Doug Beck left Apple to pursue a full-time position with the Department of Defense.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,359member
    In my opinion, none of these departures should come as a surprise, much less be seen as casting a negative shadow over Apple or its ability to retain top talent and high potential senior executives. These are all people who have climbed the ladder throughout their careers and still have more career remaining. There comes a time when they've been within the same organization for long enough to realize that the next rung, or perhaps the top rung, at their current employer isn't going to come anytime soon. Time to move on.

People leave for any number of reasons; better opportunity, more upside potential, more stability, big financial payday, less chaos, change of scenery, family (cough cough), better culture, etc. Occasionally, even people at this level get the message that their time at the company has come to an end - for any number of reasons. Sometimes it's a push to make room for an up and coming talent. Everyone is replaceable and it's not like Apple doesn't have a plan in place to handle departures at this level. Their departure may have been in-process well before any public announcements and suitably transitioned replacements waiting in the wings to step right in.

This is all very normal in a healthy organization like Apple. There's always a certain level of inflow and a certain level of outflow. Not everyone is going to be the top dog at Apple. The good thing is that having Apple leadership experience on your resume opens a lot of doors. In no way are these departures indicative of rats abandoning a sinking ship. 

Apple is in great shape and in very good hands, especially at the top.
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraiOS_Guy80beowulfschmidtradarthekathammeroftruththt
  • Reply 2 of 6
    No great lose. What happened to NFL football? Baseball sucks, soccer? the jury is still out on that one. A few hit series and a few hit movies. Streaming is about live sports and Apple has failed or not gotten in the race. College football? slopy seconds and thirds are left. Apple should compete with Google in live TV like YouTubeTV and Amazon with NFL football when a contract opens up.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 6
    No great lose. What happened to NFL football? Baseball sucks, soccer? the jury is still out on that one. A few hit series and a few hit movies. Streaming is about live sports and Apple has failed or not gotten in the race. College football? slopy seconds and thirds are left. Apple should compete with Google in live TV like YouTubeTV and Amazon with NFL football when a contract opens up.
    Streaming is about live sports???

For me, streaming is about choosing when to watch the content that I enjoy. I'm glad I can get sporting events, but there's no way I'm trying to watch them all live.
    williamlondonomasou
  • Reply 4 of 6
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Normal stuff - except the GM hire. I think GM killing CarPlay - then hiring an Apple guy to lead software isn’t just about vehicle infotainment. Mary let the cat out of the bag when she mentioned a forthcoming Apple car means they are offering infotainment from a competitor (a Stupid take). So now GM may be looking beyond vehicles. 

It will suck of course, but everyone thinks customers will come to them and pay all over again for what they’re getting already. 

Buh Bye GM. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 5 of 6
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 618member
    No need for layoffs if they go willingly.
    grandact73
  • Reply 6 of 6
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Normal stuff - except the GM hire. I think GM killing CarPlay - then hiring an Apple guy to lead software isn’t just about vehicle infotainment. Mary let the cat out of the bag when she mentioned a forthcoming Apple car means they are offering infotainment from a competitor (a Stupid take). So now GM may be looking beyond vehicles. 

It will suck of course, but everyone thinks customers will come to them and pay all over again for what they’re getting already. 

Buh Bye GM. 
    GM has always been arrogant.
    Look at the Saturn. They made that thing just different enough to gouge you when buying parts. They are the ones who want to lock you in. Soon I can see them selling subscriptions so you can use your car. So now your car is like a printer and GM wants to sell you the privilege to use it (ink).