Why ISP email services are terrible, and what to use instead

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    There are huge tradeoffs to using Google or Microsoft, and support is nonexistent.

Actual good email services: Fastmail.com, Proton.me
    Gmail is good, so long as one realizes the tradeoffs (ie. it's stable, probably isn't going away, etc.)

But, I agree on Fastmail or I switched all my stuff to Zoho a year or two back and have been quite happy.

Proton looks like cream of the crop, but it is kind of pricy and complex compared to others (if you don't need the extreme privacy).

boing said:
    I would never recommend you use an email service without using your own personalized domain.
    Yeah, same here... except I'd substitute 'use' for 'recommend' as Chasm will be pointing out, this gets too complex for a lot of users to do correctly. I think it should be done correctly, but too many won't.

chasm said:
    You are — quite clearly — not the target audience for this article.
    Yeah, the old trade-off between 'should' and the reality. They should be using password managers and stuff too, but won't.

I think the article might want to address this differentiation. People who are technically capable, or will pay a service for it, should absolutely get a domain name and apply it to their email. If you get a domain name at a place like Namecheap, they'll help on the technical side setting it up. Then you can have your email any number of places, and move it (have it moved) without too much pain.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Heh, just a funny little anecdote... but I just caught up the other day with an old friend who works in top-tier tech support of a big multinational IT service (ie. he does tech support when the tech support at companies or vendors get in over their heads) and he's still using an email address from his ISP he got back in the 90s.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 30
    XedXed Posts: 2,814member
    cgWerks said:
    boing said:
    I would never recommend you use an email service without using your own personalized domain.
    Yeah, same here... except I'd substitute 'use' for 'recommend' as Chasm will be pointing out, this gets too complex for a lot of users to do correctly. I think it should be done correctly, but too many won't.
    I would definitely recommend using a free email service over telling the average person who isn't very tach savvy to purchase a domain, purchase an email service to use with their domain, and to set it all up on their own. My mother doesn't need to do all that to have a good email experience. Even with the ease of modern setups for Gmail, iCloud, etc. it's still a daunting task for the average person.
    edited May 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Xed said:
    I would definitely recommend using a free email service over telling the average person who isn't very tach savvy to purchase a domain, purchase an email service to use with their domain, and to set it all up on their own. My mother doesn't need to do all that to have a good email experience. Even with the ease of modern setups for Gmail, iCloud, etc. it's still a daunting task for the average person.
    Yes, it is slightly more complex, but not really that much. The bar is just horribly low for this kind of user.

I mean, you buy a domain, pay for an email service (domain connection is typically a paid feature). There might be a 'push button' setup if you've picked popular services, and if not, a tech support person can setup the email in the domain in their sleep in a minute or two.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    cgWerks said:
    Xed said:
    Yes, it is slightly more complex, but not really that much. The bar is just horribly low for this kind of user.

I mean, you buy a domain, pay for an email service (domain connection is typically a paid feature). There might be a 'push button' setup if you've picked popular services, and if not, a tech support person can setup the email in the domain in their sleep in a minute or two.
    Um, no. The average user doesn't know what MS records are and I'm not going to walk an octogenarian through that when the iPad and Apple TV are already a lot for them to handle. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Xed said:
    Um, no. The average user doesn't know what MS records are and I'm not going to walk an octogenarian through that when the iPad and Apple TV are already a lot for them to handle. 
    True, but in that case, so is using email.
    (And, my point was that the average user doesn't need to understand MX records.)

Is AI readership now non-tech-savvy elderly people?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 30
    cgWerks said:
    Xed said:
    (And, my point was that the average user doesn't need to understand MX records.)

Neither you nor Bloing mentioned AI readers as your target group for your comments. The statement was "I would never recommend you use an email service without using your own personalized domain" which is a very unreasonable recommendation for the average email user.

Again, no, getting your own domain, using a 3rd-party email server (or setting up your own servers) by editing MX records to tie domain to email server, as well as paying for appropriate subscription services is not as easy as signing up for Gmail or iCloud and signing in with them with an iPad or other device.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    boingboing Posts: 5member
    Xed said:
    cgWerks said:
    Xed said:

Neither you nor Bloing mentioned AI readers as your target group for your comments. The statement was "I would never recommend you use an email service without using your own personalized domain" which is a very unreasonable recommendation for the average email user.

Again, no, getting your own domain, using a 3rd-party email server (or setting up your own servers) by editing MX records to tie domain to email server, as well as paying for appropriate subscription services is not as easy as signing up for Gmail or iCloud and signing in with them with an iPad or other device.
    I wouldn't think I would need to point out my target group is AI readers, when I posted it in the AI forums, that should be a given. The same people that you mention that can't handle the simpleness of purchasing a domain name and an email service, and then letting the email service techs connect the email service to their domain (setting up the MX records for them, etc..)  are the exact same people that are probably not going to be reading comments on AI. If they were then either they have some knowledge how things work, or they are willing to learn something new about the topic being discussed.

I get your point, but trust me those same people you mention are going to have trouble setting up Gmail or iCloud also. There have been recent articles about Passkeys and Oauth, etc.. Do you think the users you are talking about are going to know how to setup Passkeys for their Gmail?  I support users like this and trust me they won't, along with even getting their iOS Mail client to connect to any email service without help.

The thing is there is complexity in anything computer related, and it is a learning curve. My hope by recommending using your own domain for email is to teach anyone that would otherwise not have known that by having your own domain name you can always move your email service to anywhere you want. Someone that didn't know about that, might find that a good solution to keeping their email address names should their email service go away, or the service quality gets really bad. This article was about terrible email services, so I was trying to explain one way around that is to use your own domain name. Due to those reasons I "recommend" if you're serious about your email service, then get your own domain. It can be as simple as signing up for new email service which also allows you to pick a domain, and then it is automatically connected for you, so you only have to login to their webmail or connect any email client you want to their servers in the same way that would be required if connecting to GMail or iCloud. You're creating complexity unnecessarily, trying to drag out the technical requirements which most users will never have to deal with just to make your point heard.

muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondoncgWerks
  • Reply 29 of 30
    OssieOssie Posts: 1member
    If only the world were so simple...
    First of all, there are multiple and conflicting reasons to change email. If you try to escape stalkers, spam and the like, following Points 4-5 is a really bad idea. Did you really want to drag with you all the crap from earlier?
    4. "Set up automatic forwarding (if supported) from your old email address to your new one to catch any emails still being sent to the old one."
    5. "Set up automatic replies (if supported) from your old email address, informing any senders of your new address."

Second, an "email address" can be a trap for the unwary in so many ways. It is in fact not always used as an "address" but is your identity with some services. The best advice in the article may be this: "It's the last step that takes the most time — sometimes years — so you'll hold onto your old email address for a while. Of course, that is if your ISP keeps it around."

Personal examples: Some poorly resourced vendors of software register your purchase to your email address. It is your only ID with them. Time to upgrade? They'll require a confirmation mail - to and from your old address of course - and if you cannot get hold of it, tough titties - you are no longer a bona fida owner.
    The same has happened with various organisations and commercial providers of any manner of goods: you want to change the email address registered with them but cannot. It was in fact your "ID". I have had to write to some and beg them to do it for me. It may be your access to a warranty, an upgrade.
    Worse still: how long is your memory? I've had friends, colleagues and memberships going back 10 years or way more, some with only rare contact. Did I remember to include them when I notified "everyone" of my new address? Disconcerting when you find through a fluke encounter that "I thought you were dead."
    On one particular forum I had been very busy a decade ago, but when renewed interest caused me to pick up again it was impossible to access my earlier identity and posts.

Holding on to your old address for a couple of years at least is highly recommended, even if it is a pain.

XedcgWerks
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Xed said:

Sorry, that was just kind of assumed, as the article was here on AI (not Homes & Gardens), but I realize the discussion went more general. (I'm just expressing I'm a bit surprised by the article on AI, I guess.)

Never is too strong, but my point is that they don't need to know about MX records. If they are using a known platform for their domain name and email ISP, they can simply ask support to make it work, if they can't figure out the near-push-button interface to do it.

I do agree that it isn't as easy, but it's also not much harder. It's a fairly small step if the person wants it and recognizes it as good practice. They do all sorts of other things in life that are equally (or more) complex.

boing said:
    My hope by recommending using your own domain for email is to teach anyone that would otherwise not have known that by having your own domain name you can always move your email service to anywhere you want. Someone that didn't know about that, might find that a good solution to keeping their email address names should their email service go away, or the service quality gets really bad.
    Exactly.... best practices. I used to deal with the same stuff when I was doing web-design/hosting. Someone would tell a client or potential client... hey, it's way easier to just put your site on Wix or SquareSpace. Maybe it did look more straightforward, but the devil is often in the details. Or, we run into this in podcasting with people setting up on Anchor or Spotify (or now YouTube bumbling into the space). It looks easier, better, or cheaper until you hit the wall or downsides... and sometimes it isn't even easier, better, or cheaper, it just looked that way (even if you don't hit that wall).

Ossie said:
    Holding on to your old address for a couple of years at least is highly recommended, even if it is a pain.
    Really great points! Yeah, I've had the same email address for over 21 years now. And, I've had to move it 3 times over those years.