Microsoft & Activision Blizzard merger is a go with conditions, says EU regulators

Posted:
in General Discussion
Microsoft's $68.7 billion acquisition of Activision Blizzard has been given the go-ahead by the European Commission, removing one more obstacle from the deal reaching completion.

Microsoft and Activision Blizzard logos
Microsoft and Activision Blizzard logos

On Monday, the European Commission approved the proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard by Microsoft under the EU Merger Regulation. The approval is one where conditions have to be met to address the Commission's competition concerns.

The commitments "fully address the competition concerns identified by the Commission and represent a significant improvement for cloud gaming as compared to the current situation," the regulator said.

The decision was made following an investigation into the proposed acquisition, which initially found Microsoft could harm competition in the console and PC game market, as well as in the supply of operating systems for PCs. An in-depth market investigation then found Microsoft wouldn't harm rival consoles or rival multi-game subscription services.

However, that in-depth investigation also determined Microsoft could still harm competition in the distribution of games via cloud game streaming services, and that its PC OS market position would be strengthened.

To counter the concerns, Microsoft offered licensing commitments that would last for ten years. This included a free license to EEA consumers to stream all current and future Activision Blizzard PC and console games where they already own a license, and a free license to cloud game streaming providers to allow gamers to stream those same games.

"Video games attract billions of users all over the world. In such a fast-growing and dynamic industry, it is crucial to protect competition and innovation," said Margrethe Vestager, executive VP in charge of competition policy at the Commission.

"Our decision represents an important step in this direction, by bringing Activision's popular games to many more devices and consumers than before thanks to cloud game streaming."

While Europe has given the stamp of approval, it doesn't help Microsoft's situation in the UK, which has already been halted by regulators over potential reduced competition in cloud gaming. On May 5, the Competition and Markets Authority went further, publishing an interim order limiting acquisitions between the companies by forcing them to obtain "prior written consent" from the regulator.

Microsoft plans to appeal against the CMA.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,858member
    Microsoft, please complete the deal, please….

What a waste Microsoft just pissed $69 billion dollars down the drain, exceeding, Google, and HP in one shot, this waste of money means don’t expect any significant hardware development for Microsoft in the future.

The Microsoft boneyard gets bigger

* The big Acquisition losers of Microsoft Over the years…..

Web TV $425 million dollars.
    Hotmail. $500 million dollars.
    Vizio $1.4 billion dollars.
    Titus communication $1 billion dollars.
    Navison $1.4 billion dollars.
    *aQuantive $6.4 billion dollars wrote off in 2012 i.e. (a completewrite off shortly after acquiring)
    *Skype Technologies $8.5 billion dollars.
    *Yammer $1.2 billion dollars.
    *Nokia $7.2 billion dollars.
    *LinkedIn $26.5 billion dollars
    *Git hub $7.2 billion dollars.
    *ZeniMax Media 8.1 billion dollars.
    *Nuance Communications to $20 billion dollars.
    ****Activision $69 billion dollars (Biggest in Microsoft history)****

Note, most were software acquisitions, which upon completion, most of the value of the software company dissipates rapidly, similar to Twitter, as an example.

Most of Microsoft acquisitions were complete right offs in the end. You certainly did not see most of the so-call tech implemented into their finished software i.e., their desktop OS or their web services division software in any meaningful way that justified the inflated prices that they paid for these boondoggles.

In contrast, Apples largest merger in the last 25 years was only $3 billion dollars, Apples best acquisition cost $400 million but it came with the best CEO in the last 25 years, and three other acquisitions, PA Semi, Intrinsity, and Anobit critical to Apple’s, Arm SOC’s development, cost Apple a total of 1.1 billion dollars.
    edited May 2023 hydrogenapplebynatureelijahgwilliamlondonlolliver
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Nikon8Nikon8 Posts: 47member
    danox said:

What a waste Microsoft just pissed $69 billion dollars down the drain, exceeding, Google, and HP in one shot, this waste of money means don’t expect any significant hardware development for Microsoft in the future.

*aQuantive $6.4 billion dollars wrote off in 2012 i.e. (a completewrite off shortly after acquiring)

Note, most were software acquisitions, which upon completion, most of the value of the software company dissipates rapidly, similar to Twitter, as an example.

Most of Microsoft acquisitions were complete right offs in the end. You certainly did not see most of the so-call tech implemented into their finished software i.e., their desktop OS or their web services division software in any meaningful way that justified the inflated prices that they paid for these boondoggles.

In contrast, Apples largest merger in the last 25 years was only $3 billion dollars, Apples best acquisition cost $400 million but it came with the best CEO in the last 25 years, and three other acquisitions, PA Semi, Intrinsity, and Anobit critical to Apple’s, Arm SOC’s development, cost Apple a total of 1.1 billion dollars.

it doesn't matter.  as long as they have office monopoly.  the cash will continue to come in.  
    williamlondonDooofus
  • Reply 3 of 12
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member
    Are there still Apple users fighting some kind of Apple vs. Microsoft holy war? Really? really? 
    muthuk_vanalingammulasienwilliamlondondewmebeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 4 of 12
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    It's a fitting union. Using Microsoft products gives me the chills. 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    danox said:

I would say the purchase of GitHub was not a loser at all. Most of all open-source software development uses GitHub as their Git repository in the cloud. And they "gave away" the ability for users to have Private Repos, a paid subscription service. Also, their purchase of Vizio hasn't been unprofitable at all. It hasn't been a significant cash cow for them, but it also hasn't been a loser by any standard.  I agree that almost everything else hasn't panned out for them.
    dewmeStrangeDaysFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,858member
    danox said:

I guess with your business acumen you are running the world’s third largest company. On no wait, what’s the third largest company again… something seems to be working for them. 

Whoops, hit a nerve Mr. one post.

A gaming company, software company, or a TV/Movie content company, are the worst, because the value in most cases (people) dissipates immediately upon the acquisition. 

Most of the critical talent can go elsewhere, almost immediately. Within a year most of the people at Activision/Blizzard will be let go, most of the game companies that Activision uses/employs are used on a per game basis, which means once they finish programming the game they are gone in most cases.

If Microsoft was acquiring Unreal Engine (a game OS maybe the best?) that would be a different story.
    edited May 2023 williamlondonlolliverJaphey
  • Reply 7 of 12
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    danox said:
    danox said:

I guess with your business acumen you are running the world’s third largest company. On no wait, what’s the third largest company again… something seems to be working for them. 

Whoops, hit a nerve Mr. one post.

A gaming company, software company, or a TV/Movie content company, are the worst, because the value in most cases (people) dissipates immediately upon the acquisition. 

Most of the critical talent can go elsewhere, almost immediately. Within a year most of the people at Activision/Blizzard will be let go, most of the game companies that Activision uses/employs are used on a per game basis, which means once they finish programming the game they are gone in most cases.

If Microsoft was acquiring Unreal Engine (a game OS maybe the best?) that would be a different story.
    I get what you are saying but I don't this will be the case with Activision. They make some popular titles that are in demand and have been around for years raking in cash. So call of duty and other big titles from A/B should be around making them money for the forseeable future. COD makes about 8B annually and that is just one title. I am a Playstation guy so I don't really care much for the merger, but as long as the games continue uninterrupted and maybe with some proper organization of the ranks and focus for developers the could make them better than ever.. fingers crossed...

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 12
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Once this acquisition is completed, I expect a feeding frenzy will begin with many of the larger or more prestigious studios getting scooped up in short order. With streaming services facing stagnant subscriber growth across the board, gaming is the next logical place for them to turn as they look to bolster their bundled offerings and make it harder for people to leave. And obviously, raise prices. 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I want the acquisition to go through because it will mean Kotick is gone.  I realize he'll get a golden parachute instead of what he actually deserves, which is a long stint in a place where he'll be treated like he's treated his employees, but he'll be gone, and Microsoft can start attempting to repair the damage he's done.  I still hope for that.
    jcs2305FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 12
    danox said:

Hotmail into Outlook is a loser?
    Vizio is still used today, how is that a loser?
    Skype became Lync which was used for Teams, one of the largest collaboration apps, but somehow that's a loss?
    Yammer is used as an "internal Facebook" for companies, how is that a loser?
    Nokia got them patents and an in on hardware
    LinkedIn is doing quite well
    Same with GitHub
    You say people don't see these implementations in desktop Windows, but you don't see how this stuff is implemented internally or through business software. 
    StrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 11 of 12
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    danox said:

Hotmail into Outlook is a loser?
    Vizio is still used today, how is that a loser?
    Skype became Lync which was used for Teams, one of the largest collaboration apps, but somehow that's a loss?
    Yammer is used as an "internal Facebook" for companies, how is that a loser?
    Nokia got them patents and an in on hardware
    LinkedIn is doing quite well
    Same with GitHub
    You say people don't see these implementations in desktop Windows, but you don't see how this stuff is implemented internally or through business software. 
    Navision was probably a good buy in hindsight too, as it gave them a springboard to build their Dynamics business suite off of.  That's a multiple billion dollar per year revenue stream.
    FileMakerFeller