Third ex-Apple engineer charged over Apple Car technology theft

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    It reminds me back in the old days when Soviet Union stole lots of American and European inventions and ip. Concord airplane and Manhattan Project's Atomic bomb are just to name a few.
    It’s not exactly unusual for a young, undeveloped country to steal from a more industrialised one…

https://apnews.com/article/north-america-us-news-ap-top-news-theft-international-news-b40414d22f2248428ce11ff36b88dc53
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 22 of 28
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,696member
    Industrial espionage is universal.

Apple may be found wanting in this case or maybe not. No one knows the details. 

I have experience in PV for classified positions but a PV for a position in a place like GCHQ is overkill for a private company.

That said, I know of far smaller tech and fintech companies where the kind of theft mentioned here would be very difficult to pull off without getting noticed.

On the subject of Apple and China, Chinese nationals or people with Chinese heritage, you only need to take a look at a random selection of Apple's patent filings to see Chinese names on many documents.

The US cannot match China for the pool of available qualified talent.

The Trump era shenanigans also provoked a bit of an exodus of Chinese talent that was already working in the US. 
  • Reply 23 of 28
    If you look at the Hyundai Ionic series you'll see Apple's minimalist design language written all over it. I believe this is one of the reasons why Apple broke ties with Hyundai-Kia a couple of years ago, shameless idea theft.
    If that's the design language that Apple was going for, then I'm glad that they haven't made their own vehicle yet.  Personally, I think that the Ioniq is fairly hideous.  Also, the fact that they didn't better utilize the LED matrix lighting on the front and rear is a lost opportunity.
    programmer
  • Reply 24 of 28
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    This sort of industrial/government espionage is going on constantly.  Its easy to point a finger and say that Apple (or whatever company is the victim) should have prevented, but the reality is that doing so is extremely difficult.  The people stealing these materials are smart and technically very capable engineers -- if they want something, they're going to get it.  The fact that the thieves are being discovered and prosecuted means Apple is doing their job.  Locking down completely is very counter to being productive and able to develop bleeding edge state of the art technology.  It is a delicate balancing act for companies, and can be an existential threat to them... the sad case of Nortel being a prime example (i.e. if you invested in Nortel at its height and held on until the end, you would have been better off buying beer and returning the cans for the deposit).

Similarly, it is impossible to hire entirely US engineers in a company of any significant size.  The number of skilled engineers required simply does not exist.  A huge fraction of the employees in US companies come from outside of the US -- Europe, India, China.  And they are paid the same as any US worker (i.e. very well as these skill sets are in high demand, and short supply).  The fraction of the available engineers that are from the US has been in a steep decline for 30+ years, and I have personally observed this first hand. I'm sure everyone has their favourite target to blame for it, but the problem is very real and will take decades to fix (if even possible).

edited May 2023
  • Reply 25 of 28
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 697member
    If you look at the Hyundai Ionic series you'll see Apple's minimalist design language written all over it. I believe this is one of the reasons why Apple broke ties with Hyundai-Kia a couple of years ago, shameless idea theft.
    To me, Hyundai Ionic looks more like Ford Mustang (the sport car, not SUV). I double Apple will go for that look. On top of that, Tesla already has that minimalist design look from the start.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,872member
    ralphabet said:

Despite the abundance of evidence and the search, Wang was still able to leave the country, after promising he wouldn't. Wang left on a flight to Guangzhou, China, making prosecution difficult. 
    So they knew he was a criminal but decided to believe him when he "promised" he wouldn't leave? Who made that decision?
    White collar crime……
  • Reply 27 of 28
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,872member

hekg said:
    Hey American companies, how about you stop hiring Chinese employees?   

Everything high tech that china has is all a bad copy of an American product.  Including and especially military technology which one day they soon they will use against the US!

Stop hiring chinese people that still have any ties to china.
    They shouldn’t be hiring anyone who isn’t a citizen of the United States, particularly from countries known to hold family members hostage, China, Russia, and probably Turkey. For example.
    ronnwilliamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 28
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    danox said:

hekg said:
    Hey American companies, how about you stop hiring Chinese employees?   

Everything high tech that china has is all a bad copy of an American product.  Including and especially military technology which one day they soon they will use against the US!

Stop hiring chinese people that still have any ties to china.
    They shouldn’t be hiring anyone who isn’t a citizen of the United States, particularly from countries known to hold family members hostage, China, Russia, and probably Turkey. For example.
    Will make it pretty hard to staff the stores in China and Turkey.
    williamlondon