Porsche Taycan gets Apple Maps EV routing with CarPlay update

Posted:
in General Discussion
Owners of the Porsche Taycan can now get routes in CarPlay via Apple Maps based on their vehicle's charge level.

Apple Maps EV routing comes to Porsche Taycan
Apple Maps EV routing comes to Porsche Taycan

Vehicle manufacturers have been placed in the spotlight after GM's public move away from Apple CarPlay. However, Porsche has doubled down on its commitment to CarPlay with Wednesday's news.

According to the Porsche website, all models of the Porsche Taycan have gained support for Apple Maps EV routing via CarPlay. This feature was announced during WWDC in 2020, and Porsche is only the second company to adopt the feature.

Once the update is installed, Apple Maps will use real-time vehicle information to display battery and map routes. The feature gives EV drivers the ability to plan longer drives with charging stations in mind based on the vehicle's battery drainage rate and current charge.

Apple Maps EV routing was built with privacy in mind. So, data about a selected route isn't shared with Porsche, while battery information isn't shared with Apple.

Porsche Taycan owners still have access to Porsche Charging Planner within the product software. The inclusion of Apple Maps EV routing is for customer convenience and choice.

This story was first shared by 9to5Mac. As they stated, Ford was the first to add the Apple Maps EV routing feature, and Porsche's update today shows the company's commitment to Apple CarPlay.

If you're in the market for a luxury electric vehicle, the Porsche Taycan starts at $90,900. It has an estimated 282-mile range on a single charge.

Read on AppleInsider
lolliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I haven’t had a vehicle with CarPlay yet, but hopefully soon. I paid the dealership $500 to put my name on the list for an Integra Type S which is coming out in June. But pre orders started on Thursday and I didn’t find out about it until Sunday and there are only 200 vehicles available. Hopefully some of the people ahead of me drop out. I originally wanted the Civic Type-R but the dealership was demanding $15,000 over MSRP. Hopefully everything works out and I can finally experience CarPlay.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    *This* is important to roll out to all EVs. I use A Better Route Planner for long journeys, but there is always a mismatch between actual battery state of charge and the ABRP estimate. I am sure I could save stops if the two were aligned in real-time. 
    (Does Apple Maps habe built in EV routing?)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    looplessloopless Posts: 330member
    sflagel said:
    *This* is important to roll out to all EVs. I use A Better Route Planner for long journeys, but there is always a mismatch between actual battery state of charge and the ABRP estimate. I am sure I could save stops if the two were aligned in real-time. 
    Apple Maps has EV routing, but the key to the above enhancement to CarPlay is linking to the **actual** state of charge. That requires the changes to the manufacturers interface to CarPlay to provide that information. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    loopless said:
    sflagel said:
    Apple Maps has EV routing, but the key to the above enhancement to CarPlay is linking to the **actual** state of charge. That requires the changes to the manufacturers interface to CarPlay to provide that information. 
    I can’t find it. And everything I find on the Internet states that Apple Maps needs to be connected to the car app in order to get EV routing. This means that the Taycan is not the only car that does this. Apparently, this is also possible with BMW and Ford. Apple Maps does not feature EV routing based an estimated battery state of charge. Like ABRP. 
    edited May 2023 watto_cobra