Georgia residents can now add a driver's license to their iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone
The state of Georgia has officially enabled support for digital driver's licenses and state IDs to be stored and used on Apple devices in airports.

Georgia digital IDs
Georgia digital IDs

It's the fourth US state to offer compatibility with Apple Wallet. Arizona was the first state to implement this feature in March 2022, followed by Colorado and Maryland.

Now, residents of Georgia can add their driver's license or state ID to their iPhone or Apple Watch, which can make passing through Transportation Security Administration (TSA) checkpoints faster and more secure. However, it's worth noting that the digital ID on the device is not intended to replace a physical ID.

Storing your digital ID on an iPhone is private, secure, and user-friendly. The acceptance of digital IDs at TSA checkpoints is limited but is expected to expand over time.

How to add a license to Apple Wallet

1. After opening the Wallet app and tapping the "+" icon in the top right corner, users can select "Driver's License" or "State ID."

2. Choose Georgia, and then follow the instructions to scan both sides of the physical ID.

To add a Georgia license to an iPhone or Apple Watch, users must have an iPhone 8 or later with iOS 15.4 or an Apple Watch Series 4 or later with watchOS 8.4.

TSA maintains a list of participating programs and airports that accept digital identification.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    boxcatcherboxcatcher Posts: 267member
    JP234 said:
    Good news for Georgians. Still waiting for Illinois to enter the 21st century.
    I’m still waiting for the “validation app” that allows bars, rental car agents, grocery store clerks, … basically anyone besides TSA… to “receive” / “accept” these digital IDs.

I feel like the org that designed the standard on which Apple built did a decent job [designing a neat digital ID implementation], but a terrible job [designing a digital ID implementation that works in a world where many people will continue to use physical ID]. 

Unfortunately, the latter is what they should have been aiming for..
    JP234
  • Reply 2 of 6
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 814member
    JP234 said:
    Good news for Georgians. Still waiting for Illinois to enter the 21st century.
    Likewise waiting for New York to get with it.
    JP234
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I just added my GA license but I was surprised at all the photos it takes. Of course you capture the front and back of license but then you have to take several photos in motion with your eyes closed, head down, and a few more. Unfortunately it doesn't add it to the wallet right away. They will send me a paper document by mail to verify before it appears in the wallet. But overall still a very cool feature. Does this also work for traffic stops with cops while driving or is it just for TSA at airports?
    edited May 2023
  • Reply 4 of 6
    gwmac said:
    I Unfortunately it doesn't add it to the wallet right away. They will send me a paper document by mail to verify before it appears in the wallet. But overall still a very cool feature. 
    I just added mine a few minutes ago. About 1 to 2 minutes after submitting it I got notification that it was verified and was in my wallet. Checked and sure enough it was there. 
    Smooth and seamless.

• Reply 5 of 6
    kurai_kagekurai_kage Posts: 105member
    Apple needs to convince its home state.