Withings Body Smart scale review: Consistently inconsistent

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2023
The Withings Body Smart scale tracks body composition metrics to reach your fitness goals, but its drawbacks may outweigh its benefits.

Review: Withings Body Smart scale
Review: Withings Body Smart scale

You might need more than a standard bathroom scale for fitness objectives like losing fat or gaining muscle. A basic body scale can only tell you how much you weigh, but not how much of that weight is fat or muscle.

The Withings Body Smart scale does more than measure your weight. It also measures your body composition, which can help you monitor and achieve your health goals.

For instance, the Body Smart scale can show you that your weight is low, but your fat percentage is high, which may not align with your fitness targets. You can then adjust your diet and exercise accordingly.

Despite its potential benefits for your well-being, the scale has some drawbacks that could deter you from buying it.

Design and features

The Body Smart scale comes in black or white in a sleek and sturdy design. It has a tempered glass top, a circular metal centerpiece, and a digital display to show your stats.

The platform measures 12.8 x 12.8 x 1.1 inches, and you can measure your weight in kilograms, pounds, or stones. It can support up to 440 pounds.

The Body Smart scale has a glass top and comes with AAA batteries and carpet feet.
The Body Smart scale has a glass top and comes with AAA batteries and carpet feet.

The Body Smart tracks metrics such as your body fat percentage, bone mass, muscle mass, fitness level, and heart rate. You can view these data on the Withings app, where you can also customize your goals and get personalized insights.

You can adapt the scale according to your needs and preferences. For example, if you have a pacemaker or other internal medical devices, they might interfere with the electrical signal that the scale uses to measure your vitals. In that case, you can enable the Weight-Only Mode.

Another feature is the Eyes-Closed Mode, which hides your weight on the scale display and only shows you other measurements. This way, you can focus on the overall health trends rather than obsessing over every pound or ounce. But, of course, you can always access your weight and other data on the app whenever you want.

The scale runs on four AAA batteries, already included and installed. According to Withings, the batteries can last up to 15 months, but after that, you must replace them with new ones -- which can be a downside for users who prefer to recharge an internal battery.

The Body Smart works best on a hard, flat surface like a tile or wood floor, but if you have a carpeted floor, you can use the carpet feet that come with the scale.

Usability and performance

The Body Smart recognizes different users and displays their names on the scale, so you can keep track of your data without confusing it with someone else's. It can identify up to eight users and sync their data to their respective Withings accounts.

The Withings app shows body composition metrics and other data that can help the user reach fitness goals
The Withings app shows body composition metrics and other data that can help the user reach fitness goals

The scale's accuracy was tested by two users of different ages, heights, weights, and fitness levels. On various days, the users weighed themselves multiple times, ensuring that the scale was placed on a hard, flat surface and standing still and centered on the scale when taking a measurement. Then, they compared the readings for consistency.

The results were disappointing. The scale consistently showed weight variations from 0.1 to 0.2 lbs. for both persons on different days.

This variation might be tolerable for users who want a ballpark figure of their weight, but they can buy a standard scale for much less and avoid the extra cost and complexity. On the other hand, health-conscious users who value fitness metrics enough to purchase a $100 scale may find these discrepancies unacceptable.

Yet, this does not mean that the scale is worthless. It can still provide a general idea of your health trends and alert you if you get closer or further away from your fitness goals -- but don't expect the scale to give precise measurements every time.

The Withings app

One of the benefits of the Body Smart scale is that it can connect to the Withings app on your phone via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. This way, you can see your health data on your iPhone and access personalized insights and tips.

The Withings app is compatible with Apple Health
The Withings app is compatible with Apple Health

The Withings app is compatible with Apple Health, and it was easy to set up and sync data during the initial setup, but there is a catch.

The scale only offers a free trial of the Withings app for one month. After that, you must pay a monthly fee of $9.95 or an annual fee of $99.50 to keep using all the app's features.

These costly fees can be downright maddening for users suffering from subscription fatigue, who have already paid about $100 for the scale.

The Withings Body Smart scale can measure your body composition metrics that would be hard to track otherwise. Still, these benefits may not justify the trouble of dealing with a scale that gives inconsistent readings and the extra cost of subscription fees.

Withings Body Smart scale -- Pros

• Measures body composition metrics

• Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled

• Integrated with the Withings app and compatible with Apple Health

Withings Body Smart scale -- Cons

• Inconsistent weight readings

• A subscription fee is required for full access to the Withings app

• No rechargeable internal battery

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Where to buy

You can buy the Withings Body Smart scale exclusively from their website for $99.95 and subscribe to the Withings app for $9.95 monthly or $99.50 yearly.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 135member
    Surely you jest when writing a 0.1-0.2lb variation is problematic?!  That is friggin’ good accuracy!  Go ahead, tell me any consumer level scale that does better than 0.1lb in accuracy.
    blathermouthLuisPadHerLEWIS3000USwatto_cobrajingoGraeme000gatorguyapplebynature
  • Reply 2 of 13
    There must be an error in the text. 0.1 to 0.2 lbs of variation in different days is absolutely normal in any person. Even in the same day these variations in weight are bigger! I don’t understand. 

Anyway, I have been using a Withings smart scale for years and I have never paid anything. Don’t know if this is an exclusive service and app for this scale, but… again, I don’t understand. 
    edited May 2023 blathermouthLEWIS3000USwatto_cobrajingoGraeme000
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I’ve had one of their scales and the BPM Connect, and have used the app for several years and have never been asked to spend $99/year for a subscription of any kind. I can’t even locate an option for it in the app. The Withings site describes the Withings+ service as an added coaching or guidance service. Maybe the service is specific to this particular scale? Regardless, I’d hardly call that “required for full access to the Withings app”, as it’s an extra and, for most folks, unnecessary service. 
    LuisPadHerLEWIS3000USwatto_cobraGraeme000
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I have been using my one Withings scale since December of 2011.  I do notice some variations, even when I weigh myself twice in a row.  But the variation doesn't really bother me.  

The point of tracking your weight is to see trends, and for this task the Withings scale and app work quite well for all of us in the family.

I have never paid for the subscription, but the basic app features are all I want.  That includes support for IFTTT.  Most importantly we have historical data in all its glory.  The scale recognizes multiple people well as long as each person does not go too long without weighing themselves.  You can assign unrecognized weights to a person to get the system back on track.

Strongly recommended.
    watto_cobraGraeme000
  • Reply 5 of 13
    i’ve been using a wiithings smart scale for over 10 years now. Not sure what kind of research/review this is - it seems very uneducated and/or biased. 2.5/5!! such fail.  I have spent $0 on the app and it has and is continuing to serve me well. All the data gets exported to Apple HealthKit as well, so there’s no fear of vendor lock-in to keep using your data. As for the “disappointing” 0.1lb inconsistency….. lolol. dunno what to say about that. Can we get more information about these testing methodologies? Literally 0 info given with respect to how far apart in time these two measurements occurred, whether they were back to back or interspersed with other measurements… Can the author recommend a scale in the same price range which does not exhibit these characteristics? It kind of makes me reconsider all the other reviews I’ve read by the author.
    LEWIS3000USwatto_cobrajingoGraeme000
  • Reply 6 of 13
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 872member
    There must be an error in the text. 0.1 to 0.2 lbs of variation in different days is absolutely normal in any person. Even in the same day these variations in weight are bigger! I don’t understand. 

Anyway, I have been using a Withings smart scale for years and I have never paid anything. Don’t know if this is an exclusive service and app for this scale, but… again, I don’t understand. 
    I believe the new Withings Body Comp scale requires a subscription to take advantage of its advanced features.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    i left the batteries out of mine for about a week after years and years of use, and now it doesn’t recognize anybody or pair with the app. It just shows weight now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    charles1charles1 Posts: 87member
    Plus or minus 0.1 to 0.2 pounds?!? Normal human body weight can vary throughout the day more than 0.2lbs. I used to sweat off 2lbs of water weight every time I went running. 
    jingo
  • Reply 9 of 13
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,561member
    charles1 said:
    Plus or minus 0.1 to 0.2 pounds?!? Normal human body weight can vary throughout the day more than 0.2lbs. I used to sweat off 2lbs of water weight every time I went running. 
    I assume they are talking about one measurement taken after the other. I own these scales and it is not unusual to see a 1lb shift in just 5 seconds. I tend to take the average of two readings.

Interestingly my dads cheap £5 scales give the same read out 5 seconds apart, so are actually better in that regard.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    saarek said:
    charles1 said:
    I assume they are talking about one measurement taken after the other. I own these scales and it is not unusual to see a 1lb shift in just 5 seconds. I tend to take the average of two readings.

Interestingly my dads cheap £5 scales give the same read out 5 seconds apart, so are actually better in that regard.
    It clearly says “on different days”:

The results were disappointing. The scale consistently showed weight variations from 0.1 to 0.2 lbs. for both persons on different days. 
  • Reply 11 of 13
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,561member
    saarek said:
    charles1 said:

It clearly says “on different days”:

Ah well, I can confirm that you can expect the same fluctuation within around 5 seconds. :-)
  • Reply 12 of 13

Perceived differences in measurements depends on the accuracy of the scale. The greater the accuracy the more noticeable the variation. 

So a cheap low accuracy scale can appear more constant in weight measurement than an accurate one.

jingogatorguy
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I agree with the other comments.  this is a very poor review and isnt representative of the scales that I use every day.

ive used many different withings scales for the last 14 years - since they first came out, and I have found them the most accurate of any scales ive tried, especially the recent models including this one.

body weight naturally fluctuates throughout the day, as normal, as there are differing hydration levels.  best to weigh yourself at the same time each day, soon after waking, and just after going to the bathroom, to get the most consistent reading.

This discussion has been closed.