Samsung's new 27-inch monitor competes with Apple's Studio Display at half the price

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    reason88 said:
    entropys said:
    The yet to be released 5K Viewsonic S9 is the studio dis0ay competitor.
    this is a 4K display. 

I feel tricked by this headline.
    You mean Samsung “Viewfinity” S9 not Viewsonic right?
    Why yes, yes I did! In fact I thought that is what I wrote. Must be some sad kind of motor memory.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    avon b7 said:
    sflagel said:
    PASS.
    I want a good looking, reasonably accurate dumbass monitor.  No cameras.  No mics. No speakers.  
    Sigh...

I always wondered why so few monitors ship with integrated camera and mic. We demand these things in our laptop, why do you not want them on your monitor? 
    Basically because laptops are portable devices that are encapsulated in functionality terms (keyboard, storage, camera, ports, screen etc) so we expect them to have certain features. 

A monitor only really needs to be monitor as it is a stationary device. 'Extras' like cameras can simply be hooked up to them, allowing users to pick and choose what they prefer. 
    Ok, makes sense that laptops must have these things included. But don’t you find that these peripheral devices on monitors seldomly work well, at least microphones and speakers? What microphone / speaker could you recommend?
  • Reply 23 of 29
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,666member
    sflagel said:
    avon b7 said:
    sflagel said:
    PASS.
    I want a good looking, reasonably accurate dumbass monitor.  No cameras.  No mics. No speakers.  
    Sigh...

I always wondered why so few monitors ship with integrated camera and mic. We demand these things in our laptop, why do you not want them on your monitor? 
    Basically because laptops are portable devices that are encapsulated in functionality terms (keyboard, storage, camera, ports, screen etc) so we expect them to have certain features. 

A monitor only really needs to be monitor as it is a stationary device. 'Extras' like cameras can simply be hooked up to them, allowing users to pick and choose what they prefer. 
    Ok, makes sense that laptops must have these things included. But don’t you find that these peripheral devices on monitors seldomly work well, at least microphones and speakers? What microphone / speaker could you recommend?
    I'm sure that many monitors that do have them, have them as afterthoughts and likely poor quality.

Personally I gave my monitors away as I used the laptops more and more. 

Moving forward I think we'll see more and more hardware 'abstraction' where the cameras and screens (and audio/mics) are 'pooled' from the various devices you have on hand. That might mean using a real speaker for audio output (maybe on a TV/HomePod/AirPods etc), the mics on the laptop, HomePod etc and the best camera available (be it on a TV, phone or dedicated external camera for conferencing etc). 

Creating a 'super device'. 

For Zoom type calls I currently use my tablet because the audio and mics are so good even if the camera isn't the best. 
  • Reply 24 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    PASS.
    Sigh...

Same here. No camera, no speakers, just a great hi-res, responsive, and color-accurate display please. I don't even need a lot of nits, always doing my image editing in a relatively darker environment anyway. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 190member, administrator, moderator, editor
    It’s baffling to me how many people here commented about clickbait because they either disagree with the article or don’t understand the meaning of the word “compete.” 

Anyone can compete with another with anything. We didn’t say Samsung won. The monitor has some features and a price that might draw customers in rather than spending $1500 on a studio display.

I wouldn’t personally buy one. I love the studio display and want retina. But there are people who would see the $700 price point and consider buying two, even.

that’s competition. Samsung will no doubt get some of the market to consider its monitor over Studio Display.

nothing in this article suggests that Samsung’s offering is superior. Words matter people.
    gatorguywilliamlondonroundaboutnowmuthuk_vanalingamStrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 29
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,847member
    Apple curated monitors are the best, but you end up paying more, no surprise for a better quality monitor designed to work with Apple computers, Samsung and LG have to compete in the lowest common denominator PC market where price is king.
    edited May 2023 baconstangwilliamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 29
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    One major difference is the camera is attached instead of builtin. The camera is not related to the monitor. 
    The camera comes with the monitor, and is designed to be used with it.  It is very much related. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 29
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    It’s baffling to me how many people here commented about clickbait because they either disagree with the article or don’t understand the meaning of the word “compete.” 

Anyone can compete with another with anything. We didn’t say Samsung won. The monitor has some features and a price that might draw customers in rather than spending $1500 on a studio display.

I wouldn’t personally buy one. I love the studio display and want retina. But there are people who would see the $700 price point and consider buying two, even.

that’s competition. Samsung will no doubt get some of the market to consider its monitor over Studio Display.

nothing in this article suggests that Samsung’s offering is superior. Words matter people.
    Utterly disagree. This is a good monitor worth a look for anyone looking for a 4K monitor.
    to imply it is like a 5K monitor is a downright false comparison though.  I feel insulted.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 190member, administrator, moderator, editor
    entropys said:
    Utterly disagree. This is a good monitor worth a look for anyone looking for a 4K monitor.
    to imply it is like a 5K monitor is a downright false comparison though.  I feel insulted.
    No one implied that. It isn't "like" a 5K monitor, it "competes" with the 5K monitor. These statements have completely different meanings.
    roundaboutnow