Mac gaming staple 'Marathon' is being resurrected by Bungie and Sony

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    This is going to be interesting because a lot of Marathon’s soul went into Halo BEFORE Microsoft bought Bungie and fucked it up. It’s ironic because it appears they did that after Steve Jobs showed it during a Macworld keynote. I wonder if Microsoft will sue Sony if it’s just Halo for the PS. 

Btw I still have all my Marathon CDs and Myth too. Loved Marathon’s intro music!
    I have kept around a few old 24 inch iMacs with the Myth image still attached. Still play over LAN on occasion. It would be cool to have more Bungie games resurrected. (I know not gonna happen but I can dream)
    hammeroftruth
  • Reply 22 of 27
    doggonedoggone Posts: 380member
    I loved playing Marathon.  Used to play in the lab on high end Macs.  Also loved Spectre and Prince of Persia.  Only the latter has been re-released on iOS.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    chutzpah said:

Nonsense.  "Pre-rendered video" as you've said there is the right term to use.  That or "in-game cinematic".  CGI is not at all the right term to user and you've just made up that it's "used commonly in gaming lingo".  You talk like a grandpa roughly approximating what he's heard the kids talking about on the interwebs.

I'm here to have conversations and some fun.  Don't be so fricking uptight, there's a real immaturity and insecurity in these new AI writers.
    It's called being respectful. Don't like it, then you don't have to use our forums.

I'm 31. I've worked here since 2019. And CGI is a commonly used term. You're wrong on all accounts.

You can look up "CGI video game trailer" and industry sources like Polygon and IGN use that phrasing. There are numerous posts on Reddit, Twitter, and other places where people discuss the prevalence of "CGI trailers" that lack gameplay.

There are ways to discuss these things without being insulting.

Have fun. Have conversations. But don't be so uncivil. Thanks.
    To be honest though, while CGI can cover a lot of ground, it has consistently meant footage created on CGI workstations separate and apart from real-time engine footage. Such footage is usually of far higher quality than the game engine could create. With the advancements in engines like Unreal, this isn’t necessary any longer. 

As much as the member you quoted my have worded their post in a certain way, let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water. It’s most definitely helpful to know whether this trailer was created with one-off CGI footage or was rendered using the actual game engine. - even if it was recorded to ensure flawless playback for a trailer. Do we have that info? 

It looks like a mix of CGI and real-life practical footage. But I’d love to know concrete details since the trailer is completely void of any plot, story, reason for being, and is just dry vague all the way around. 
    edited May 2023
  • Reply 24 of 27
    I played Al 3 marathon games over two weeks in a very rough period of my life. It was nice to escape into the games for a bit while healing. 

But this was in 2008, so it was also very rough in terms of gameplay, graphics, and any discernible storyline. 

I’ve always thought marathon should be remade and now it is! Can’t wait to see how it turns out. But lack of single player may be a deal breaker. I thought destiny was a pretty marathon successor (well until the lazy and just plain lame disaster that was light fall.), but apparently the actual marathon is going to do the job. Hopefully they change their minds  about a campaign quickly. 

Sony games often end up on pc. Hopefully this one gets to Mac before too long. I thought Apple should have bought Bungie and the Star Citizen folks if they were serious about gaming. Hopefully they can still make a serious run in that segment. 
  • Reply 25 of 27
    sevenfeet said:
    Back in 1992, I had the pleasure of eating dinner with the Bungie team at Macworld Boston. One of my questions for the team was who did a very memorable scream from the game. Sure enough, that scream came from the guy sitting next to me. Much laughter ensued.

”Thank God it’s you!!” <BOOM>  This was the OG of dirty tricks from a game designer in a 3D game. Man I miss the original Marathon.
    That’s awesome. 
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 190member, administrator, moderator, editor

As much as the member you quoted my have started their post in a certain way, let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water. It’s most definitely helpful to know whether this trailer was created with one-off CGI footage or was rendered using the actual game engine. Do we have that info? 
    It is clearly a pre-rendered non-engine trailer. The game is an extraction shooter. The trailer shows nothing of the sort. While the game may have this art style, there is little chance these detailed assets and lighting will work in real time.

I appreciate that unreal allows some amazing stuff, but it is also much more difficult and time consuming to create a trailer in-engine this way. It’s too cinematic. Look at the camera movements and lighting.

and those stylized bugs aren’t going to be gameplay elements. Lol

it is barely a teaser too. Gameplay likely isn’t even through alpha stages yet. I doubt the game is done enough to create such a trailer in engine. No, this is a CGI trailer for sure. Likely containing content earmarked for some kind of opening cutscene or credit roll.

I don’t believe anyone was debating whether or not this was a pre-rendered video.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I’d deploy the trih xeem on this laughable project.