Apple TV app and Apple TV+ were down for two hours on Tuesday [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2023
Users across the globe reported that Apple TV+ and its app failed to load content for a period of about two hours on Tuesday.

Apple TV services were down
Apple TV services were down

Apple TV+ is a streaming service available across multiple platforms for watching original TV shows and movies. Users reported that the Apple TV+ service and app, also called Apple TV, weren't loading content.

According to Downdetector, users began reporting outages for the Apple app and service at about 4:52 p.m. EST. Apple acknowledged the outage at 5:06 p.m. EST.

Apple's System Status page showed Apple TV Channels, Apple TV+, and iTunes Match were down. Users were expected to experience intermittent outages where Apple TV app data would not load for Channels or TV+.

iTunes Match is a system that syncs a user's local music library to Apple Music so it can be streamed. It appears to have been down in an unrelated issue.

It seems this was a global outage, not just one centered in the United States, suggesting this was a greater service issue and not tied to a specific server.

Readers from around the globe saw an outage as well
Readers from around the globe saw an outage as well

Apple's range of services has seen an increasing level of outages since the start of 2023. There isn't a clear reason for this, though speculation suggests the increasing volume of users may be overwhelming the services.

Update 6:30 p.m. EST: Downdetector shows limited reports of an outage still coming in, though Apple hasn't updated its outage page. The issue likely hasn't been resolved outside of the US.

Update 6:50 p.m. EST: Apple updated its System Status page to show no outages are present. Users should have access to the Apple TV app, Channels, Apple TV+, and iTunes Match again.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Bad timing!

Season finale of the only AppleTV+ show watched by more than a handful of people drops in 3 hours!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 5
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,267member
    Bad timing!

Season finale of the only AppleTV+ show watched by more than a handful of people drops in 3 hours!
    Actually, you are wrong about that. While the lasso named Ted is indeed a very popular show, other Apple TV+ shows have appeared on a regular basis in the Nielsen streaming surveys’ top 10 or top 20.

As of last year, Apple TV+ was reported to have at least 40M paying subscribers, so that’s a wee bit more than a “handful.” Excluding services only available in China, Apple TV+ is the #6 most popular streamer (and will soon be #5 thanks to both growth and HBO Max shooting itself in the head).
    edited May 2023 napoleon_phoneapartwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    In my case I’ve been watching Prehistoric Planet since before 5:30pm EDT on the Apple TV box for what it’s worth.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,968member
    chasm said:
    Bad timing!

Actually, you are wrong about that. While the lasso named Ted is indeed a very popular show, other Apple TV+ shows have appeared on a regular basis in the Nielsen streaming surveys’ top 10 or top 20.

As of last year, Apple TV+ was reported to have at least 40M paying subscribers, so that’s a wee bit more than a “handful.” Excluding services only available in China, Apple TV+ is the #6 most popular streamer (and will soon be #5 thanks to both growth and HBO Max shooting itself in the head).
    I only have ATV+ as part of my AO family subscription. The sub works out cheaper whether ATV+ is included or not. I, and I am sure a lot of that 40 million, would prefer it wasn’t included and the sub cheaper as the service is dross. 
    You don’t have to like it, Sparky. Others clearly do, so it will continue to exist. It must be hard for you when the world doesn’t just show up with the things you want and disappear for the things you don’t. 
    ITGUYINSDwilliamlondonwatto_cobra