A new Targus backpack can connect to Apple's 'Find My' network

Posted:
in General Discussion
Laptop bag manufacturer Targus has introduced an environmentally friendly backpack with a built-in Find My locator compatible with Apple's network.

A Targus backpack with Find My
A Targus backpack with Find My

By employing recycled materials certified by GRS (Global Recycled Standard), 26 plastic bottles were shredded into small flakes, followed by re-polymerization into plastic chips. These chips were then heated, spun into yarn, stitched, and sewn to form the fabric of the Cypress Hero Backpack.

Through the use of Low Energy Bluetooth, the integrated location module of the backpack effortlessly and securely connects with the Apple Find My network. This enables users to conveniently track the whereabouts of their backpack using the Apple Find My app.

Designed to accommodate laptops with a screen size of 15.6 inches, the backpack offers a specialized padded compartment to hold and protect a laptop securely. It includes a spacious main compartment, a secondary compartment equipped with a workstation, and a convenient front quick-stash pocket to accommodate gadgets.

The module for Find My
The module for Find My

With its clever design, the backpack features adjustable and ergonomic shoulder straps and a padded back panel, ensuring a comfortable fit during use. It also incorporates a pass-through trolley strap, allowing users to attach it to luggage for effortless transport conveniently.

Pricing & Availability

The Cypress Hero Backpack with Find My Locator is available to purchase for $149.99.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    Products like this might largely solve the stalking vs. theft problem, because a stalker is unlikely to try to hide a backpack on the person they are trying to stalk, so presumably the backpack wouldn’t have to alert a thief to the fact that they were being tracked. Of course, a stalker could probably cut the electronics out of the bag to use it for unsavory purposes, and it doesn’t look like Targus is trying to be discreet about its capabilities. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    Products like this might largely solve the stalking vs. theft problem, because a stalker is unlikely to try to hide a backpack on the person they are trying to stalk, so presumably the backpack wouldn’t have to alert a thief to the fact that they were being tracked. Of course, a stalker could probably cut the electronics out of the bag to use it for unsavory purposes, and it doesn’t look like Targus is trying to be discreet about its capabilities. 
    They aren't? The module is on the top under the handle where the button doesn't stand out. I don't see any other logos or flashes on the exterior of the bag to highlight that there's a built in tracker. I'd say it's very discreet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    No thanks. I’d rather have a much nicer looking bag that costs a third of this and put in it a $25 (or less) AirTag. 
    watto_cobra