13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    Too Good To Be True?
  • Reply 42 of 43
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

It's not a marriage. A single person should pay less because their expenses are greater than for a dual person household. It's not a marriage tax, but exemptions for singles.

Your gas bill doesn't cost twice as much with two people. Your water bill doesn't cost twice as much with two people. Your rent doesn't cost twice as much with two people. Your income is double.

Oh.

So, it's to help offset the cost of living for an individual.

Okay so my wife and I are living on two different location due to a job change. So we are paying two different rents, gas, phone ... Can we have a tax break?

ALSO singles that live with roommates should pay more under your reasoning.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Okay so my wife and I are living on two different location due to a job change. So we are paying two different rents, gas, phone ... Can we have a tax break?

ALSO singles that live with roommates should pay more under your reasoning.

Bunge is just talking out of his butt again. (Bunge knows I have a fascination with his butt )

I have never had a federal tax form ask me what I pay for rent, utilities or my phone bill. Have you? As a single person or married couple, none of these things are deductable. They might be deductable if you can show they are job/work related (home office) but this is true regardless of maritial status.

I also take exception to the fact that he assumes a) things get cheaper when you are married ( ) and b) that your income automatically goes up when you are married.

Married does not automatically equal two incomes. In fact in my case it equals 4 people living under one income. Likewise if you are single guys renting a room or even an apartment, you can likely assume your wife will want something decidedly better. Start saving for that "less expensive" four bedroom tile/stucco house there bucko!

Nick