'Ted Lasso' stars aren't ruling out more from AFC Richmond in the future

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2023
"Ted Lasso" started off as a comedy bit, turned into a silly premise for NBC to promote Premier League matches, and eventually became an Apple TV+ darling many of the stars are not ready close the door on.

Apple TV+ series
Apple TV+ series "Ted Lasso"

Unfortunately, the series recently wrapped up its third season, which is expected to be the last. The show did a worthwhile job tying up all the loose threads, so if this is the last season, it goes out on a high note.

And yet, there might be hope for more "Ted Lasso", if you ask series star Brendan Hunt.

When asked if there will be a season four, or if there are any spin-offs planned moving forward, Hunt says the "pat answer, that is also 100% true" is that no one knows right now. Hunt does add that everyone involved with the show is going to take a break, and that "everything is possible."

But, that also means it's possible the show is done, and there won't be any additional episodes of "Ted Lasso" in the future.

As it stands, most of the cast of the show has commented positively about any potential episodes, or spin-offs. Juno Temple, who plays Keeley Jones, has previously told Deadline that a female-led spin-off would be "amazing" to see how "they would continue to do wonderful things together and also how that then would bleed out into other women passing that on to other women."

The other potential lead in that spin-off would be Hannah Waddingham, who plays Rebecca Welton in the show. She visited "The Kelly Clarkson Show" to talk about the season/series finale, and said she'd be just as devastated as the show's fans if this really is the last season.

"I feel like trapping him in a dungeon with a notepad and a pen and just going, Dude, what are you doing?' You can't step away from it," she goes on to say. "The characters are so beloved, and we all love it."

As it stands right now, there's no official word yet whether or not this is the end of "Ted Lasso." Apple TV+ has not renewed the series for a fourth season, nor has it said it is the end of the series.

The streamer also hasn't officially announced any spin-offs.

"Ted Lasso" has been a big hit for Apple TV+, with the show recently picking up its highest-record Nielsen rating in April, with viewers watching a total of 795 million minutes of the show.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Any spinoff will probably be worth watching, but it won't have the same magic with out Coach Lasso. The entire cast was an excellent ensemble, but Lasso was the ingredient that made the sum greater than its parts. If it happens, I'll watch with with no Lasso it just won't be the same.
    balmattarCluntBaby92ITGUYINSD
  • Reply 2 of 8
    trrosentrrosen Posts: 32member
    I for one, would love to see a follow up where we see the creation of the Richmond women’s team. I think having it coached by Nathan Shelly would make for some wonderfully awkward interactions. And may be a relationship between Jamie tart and a member of the women’s team. 
    Now am I the only one who thinks it’s weird that Ted didn’t show up to Coach Beard’s wedding?
    tmay
  • Reply 3 of 8
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Brilliant series. As a foreigner of part British descent and American affections, the humility, wit and cleverness of the series was a joy to behold.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    Nice sentiment but poor execution throughout; a series that consistently disappointed in my opinion. Maybe a fourth season with a different approach would get it right. 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    trrosen said:
    I for one, would love to see a follow up where we see the creation of the Richmond women’s team. I think having it coached by Nathan Shelly would make for some wonderfully awkward interactions. And may be a relationship between Jamie tart and a member of the women’s team. 
    Now am I the only one who thinks it’s weird that Ted didn’t show up to Coach Beard’s wedding?
    Because it happened on Ted’s flight home?
    /s
    That was a weird follow on, but yeah, that was interesting.

Also…
    I thought Nate’s redemption story fizzled out.  He went from equipment guy to head coach to unemployed, back to equipment guy.  I thought he’d at least come back as an assistant coach, but I do like your idea of him coaching the Women’s team.

Other thoughts:
    Roy Kent and his niece’s teacher
    Keely and a “normal guy” - just a normal guy that catches her eye
    Exploring Rebecca’s relationship with the airline pilot and his daughter - explaining how he flies and has his daughter… did the mother and him split up, or is he a widower?
    iqatedo
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 510member
    chutzpah said:
    Nice sentiment but poor execution throughout; a series that consistently disappointed in my opinion. Maybe a fourth season with a different approach would get it right. 
    Given the popularity of Ted Lasso and three seasons, I'd say they did get it right and maybe you're taste is just off from the majority.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    chutzpah said:
    Given the popularity of Ted Lasso and three seasons, I'd say they did get it right and maybe your taste is just off from the majority.
    I’ve heard quite a lot of distaste with the third season, and it echoed what I said about the first two. I’m comfortable in my opinion.