Huanuo lap desk review: Comfort and convenience for MacBook users

Posted:
in General Discussion
If you're a MacBook user, the Huanuo lap desk could allow you to work comfortably from your couch or bed, providing a convenient alternative to sitting at a traditional desk.

Review: Huanuo lap desk
Review: Huanuo lap desk

While working on your MacBook from a couch or bed may not be the best for your posture, a lap desk can help alleviate some of the strain. It can reduce neck strain and improve your overall workflow by elevating your MacBook screen to eye level.

The Huanuo lap desk offers a versatile and convenient way to work on your MacBook. However, some features may not be suitable for everyone.

Huanuo lap desk -- features and usability

When shopping for a lap desk, you must ensure the surface is large enough to fit your MacBook. The lap desk tested for this review has a surface measuring 21.65 inches x 14.57 inches, just enough to hold a 16-inch MacBook Pro while not leaving much room for other accessories.

The Huanuo lap desk is just large enough to fit a 16-inch MacBook Pro
The Huanuo lap desk is just large enough to fit a 16-inch MacBook Pro

The Huanuo lap desk is available in three natural wood grain colors: light brown, dark brown, and black. It is lightweight for its size, weighing in at 4.5 pounds.

This lap desk features a cushioned wrist rest that supports your wrists and arms while you work. Not only does it prevent your MacBook from sliding, but it also runs along the width of the desk to keep you comfortable as you type or scroll.

Two cushions underneath the lap desk raise your MacBook about 2.5 inches, providing stability without causing fatigue.

There are two comfortable cushions underneath the Huanuo lap desk
There are two comfortable cushions underneath the Huanuo lap desk

The Huanuo lap desk also features a built-in, non-removable mouse pad. The surface of the mouse pad is a shiny, textured faux leather material.

However, the mouse pad takes up a lot of space on the desk, so your laptop has to sit on the left side, causing the weight to rest more on your left leg than your right.

If you have a larger laptop, it may overlap with the mouse pad, reducing your workspace. Despite this, a 16-inch MacBook fits just fine during testing.

The Huanuo lap desk includes a non-removable mouse pad
The Huanuo lap desk includes a non-removable mouse pad

This lap desk features slots at the top that is wide enough to hold accessories such as an iPad, iPhone, Apple Pencil, or other small items like a notepad or paper clips.

These slots provide a convenient place to store your devices and accessories while you work. However, they are not ideal as a stand for watching videos, as your iPad or iPhone may tilt forward when the desk is on your lap.

During testing, an iPad and iPhone kept tilting forward in the storage slot
During testing, an iPad and iPhone kept tilting forward in the storage slot

While the built-in mouse pad may be a bit large for some, and the slots may not be ideal for others, this lap desk is still a practical choice for those looking for a no-fuss, portable option.

The Huanuo lap desk offers straightforward functionality for MacBook users. Its plush cushions provide a comfortable surface for your arms and legs, making it easy to work for hours on end -- or at least until your Apple Watch reminds you to get off your couch.

Huanuo lap desk -- Pros

• Cushioned support for arms and legs

• Large enough to fit a 17-inch laptop

• Has a handle for easy carrying or storage

Huanuo lap desk -- Cons

• Non-removable mousepad might be too big for some

• Devices tend to tilt forward inside the storage slots

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Where to buy

You can buy the Huanuo lap desk from their website or from Amazon for $66.99.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    halfmachalfmac Posts: 7member
    What about Left Handed people?
    BiC
  • Reply 2 of 6
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 838member
    Cool product and thanks for the review of it! Considering that laptops have trackpads, the inclusion of a permanent mouse pad which takes up that much real estate in a fixed position seems odd. Simply leaving that space free would have left its use for a mouse pad or not up to the buyer and would allow lefties to put a mouse pad where they need it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I have owned one of these for quite some time and really like it as I work remotely and prefer the flexibility this lap desk provides. I currently have an Acasis docking station connected via a 6 ft USB-C cable so I have an active Time Machine backup as well as Ethernet connectivity. This allows me to have my 16" MacBook Pro in my lap for video calls. Just a great way to have portability and the security of an ongoing local backup. The lap desk lets me keep several accessories handy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    BiC said:
    halfmac said:

I'm not left handed - But that's actually really funny!!  What about them lefties!
    I imagine you can just turn it upside down? You wouldn’t get the padding but, compromises?
    edited June 2023
  • Reply 5 of 6
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    JinTech said:
    BiC said:
    halfmac said:

I'm not left handed - But that's actually really funny!!  What about them lefties!
    I imagine you can just turn it upside down? You wouldn’t get the padding but, compromises?
    And the two slots shown holding an iPad and iPhone would be useless. At least there's a mousepad for a trackball. LOL. $67 is a lot to spend for what would then be just a wooden plank with a mousepad glued on.

I'd like something similar to hold a non-Apple keyboard and trackpad. But that needs to be a DIY project.

AI said:
    However, the mouse pad takes up a lot of space on the desk, so your laptop has to sit on the left side, causing the weight to rest more on your left leg than your right.

Most people sit squarely in front of a keyboard/notebook to type. Who's going to type on a notebook that far to the left of center? That's going to be shifted over to the right after a few minutes of use.

The weight will probably be slightly more on the right leg than the left, not that it makes all that much difference. Maybe if a Wallstreet or Pismo class notebook were used there might be an actual issue.