Apple headset must battle 'design quirks' to be a success

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple's long-awaited mixed-reality headset launch on Monday will be a "risky endeavor" for the company, a leaker claims, but "design quirks" will be worked through in future revisions as the offering is refined over the coming years.

A render of a potential Apple headset [AppleInsider]
A render of a potential Apple headset [AppleInsider]

After years of development and speculation, there is a general consensus among rumor-watchers that Apple will finally show off its AR and VR-capable headset during the WWDC keynote on Monday.

In Sunday's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg discussing WWDC itself, Mark Gurman writes about how the headset could "usher in a new era" for Apple, shifting how people interact with devices. Gurman also warns it is "also a risky endeavor that could backfire for Apple," due to headsets still being a "nascent field."

As part of the Apple VR headset offering, Gurman indicates the headset will have some "design quirks" that Apple will have to overcome for it to become a success, such as the rumored external battery pack and $3,000 price tag. The lack of a "killer app" is also a potential issue for the headset.

However, Gurman is bullish in saying "the headset could be the future of the computer and that the company needs to start somewhere." Expecting the first model will be a flop in unit sales compared to other Apple product lines, Apple may still become the top company in the market "within a matter of quarters."

Apple is also expected to fix problems from the first model in subsequent releases. These include potential nausea complaints, performance issues, a lack of cellular connectivity, and the pricing issue.

Gurman concludes that, though it could take three or five years for the headset to actually become a hit, it would be unwise to bet against a marketing and engineering juggernaut like Apple. "If anyone can make this product category a success, it's Apple," he writes.

For the event itself, Gurman says Apple will have two demonstration areas, with the Steve Jobs Theater used to promote new Mac models. A second, a temporary structure on the Apple Park soccer field, is expected to house the headset for the launch.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,746member
    Personally, I see no issues with these so-called quirks if the end product does what it aims to do.

No SIM is perfectly fine if the device is focused on consumer home use. Yes, IMO, that would restrict it's scope a lot in terms of general XR use but if that is the focus, I can't see any problem. 

Likewise a tethered battery is definitely a non-issue if the alternative is adding more weight (and therefore less comfort) to wearing the device. If use time is extended as a result, then better still. There are solutions to that particular problem that are 'ready' but just haven't come to market yet. Like ceiling mounted, laser charging (which has the advantage of charging multiple devices at the same time. Of course, that would add to cost so traditional charging (hopefully ultra fast for once) would be fine. 

There will be some people, like those who claim Apple only releases products when they are fully baked, who might feel a bit conflicted by a product that possibly isn't mature enough to hit the ground and all  its goals at the outset but there is no better way to improve a product than by using it in the real world. And actual production plus sales help to bring prices down as the future generations improve. 

Until we see the checkboxes of what they aim to do, it's impossible to know how many didn't get checked, got partially checked or are checked completely. 
    edited June 2023 slprescottmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 15
    designr said:
    Apple's long-awaited mixed-reality headset launch on Monday will be a "risky endeavor" for the company, a leaker claims, but "design quirks" will be worked through in future revisions as the offering is refined over the coming years.
    Doesn't this describe almost every product from Apple already?  :|
    Yes. And also, one man's quirk is sometimes another man's design hit.

The rounded iPhone design is something I've always thought was incredibly slippery without a case. 

Yet, the squared off design was always my favourite so I prefer the current models but understand that as phones are now larger in general they are probably more uncomfortable without a case for most people. 

In terms of modern ergonomics for average hands it was probably a hard sell to get the flat sided design back. I'm still glad they did it though. 

But then, ergonomics aside, there were supposed internal design wins in terms of space.

On the other hand I've always detested the indent on the bottom casing (for screen opening) with those sharp edges on either side. I could never see the need.

The hockey puck mouse probably stands out as an example of how to get things wrong. 
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Regarding nausea - 
    I was in a room with a bunch of "higher ups" watching a demo of someone wearing an AR headset with what he was seeing on projector screens.  Up to about a minute in, everyone was enthusiastic about what the tech was doing: installing parts.  Then, I started looking at them... one by one they started looking away, until all of them were intentionally shadowing their faces from the screen.  One or two left the room and din't come back in until they were made aware that the projector was now showing a PowerPoint.

I asked about that, and everyone was getting nauseous, mainly because the micro-movements of our heads are well accounted for by our brains and the AR headset, but to those watching, it looked like he was on the water, but they were on land, so the movement didn't match what they were seeing.

They technician had no issues, nor did most of the people when they tried the headset on.

There is a phenomenon where the users do get seasick, claustrophobic, or have other issues when wearing AR/VR headsets, and one thing I believe can help solve this is not having cameras display on the screen, but have clear screens that project the images needed, and let the user see reality with no delay.

I do fly FPV drones, and it's a lot of fun to do that, and every 8-9 minutes I have to take the goggles off and maybe that's the eye-rest I need.
    designrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,359member
    Regarding nausea - 
    I was in a room with a bunch of "higher ups" watching a demo of someone wearing an AR headset with what he was seeing on projector screens.  Up to about a minute in, everyone was enthusiastic about what the tech was doing: installing parts.  Then, I started looking at them... one by one they started looking away, until all of them were intentionally shadowing their faces from the screen.  One or two left the room and din't come back in until they were made aware that the projector was now showing a PowerPoint.

I asked about that, and everyone was getting nauseous, mainly because the micro-movements of our heads are well accounted for by our brains and the AR headset, but to those watching, it looked like he was on the water, but they were on land, so the movement didn't match what they were seeing.

They technician had no issues, nor did most of the people when they tried the headset on.

There is a phenomenon where the users do get seasick, claustrophobic, or have other issues when wearing AR/VR headsets, and one thing I believe can help solve this is not having cameras display on the screen, but have clear screens that project the images needed, and let the user see reality with no delay.

I do fly FPV drones, and it's a lot of fun to do that, and every 8-9 minutes I have to take the goggles off and maybe that's the eye-rest I need.
    Seasickness is caused by when the visual information from the eyes received by the brain doesn’t match what the inner ear senses.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    SkepticalSkeptical Posts: 183member
    Dear God it’s a headset, not a cure for cancer, or Alzheimer’s cure. FFS, what does this thing do for humanity except represent another money pit for Apple. Having first world worries about something that really benefits no one must be nice. 
    designr
  • Reply 6 of 15
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,259member
    • Apple enters the PC market and now every PC longs to be just like a Mac.
    • Apple enters the MP3 player market and now every music player must live up to the standards set by the iPod.
    • Apple enters the mobile phone market and now every mobile phone must live up to the standards set by the iPhone.
    • Apple enters the tablet market and now every tablet longs to be an iPad.
    • Apple enters the wireless earbuds market and now every wireless earbud release longs to match the AirPods design and convenience.
    • .... you get the idea.
    Apple won't have any problem becoming the defining standard in the extended-reality market. They are rarely first into a market, but when they do enter one, they take it by storm. Every time.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,344member
    • Apple enters the MP3 player market and now every music player must live up to the standards set by the iPod.
    • Apple enters the mobile phone market and now every mobile phone must live up to the standards set by the iPhone.
    • Apple enters the wireless earbuds market and now every wireless earbud release longs to match the AirPods design and convenience.
    • .... you get the idea.
    Apple won't have any problem becoming the defining standard in the extended-reality market. They are rarely first into a market, but when they do enter one, they take it by storm. Every time.

Left out laptops. Every laptop looks like a Powerbook is there anyone putting keyboards at the front anymore. 

Fingers-crossed the talk of underpowered and expensive means we are seeing the release a general computing platform like the Laptop or the All in one from the late 90's again with this device. Not the accessory platforms (iPod, iPhone,iPad*) we have largely seen in the mean time.   It might take a while too mature but out of the gate it should be interesting. 

*sadly iPad is only now maybe hopefully finally going to unshackle and become the flatscreen counterpart to this new platform. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,422member
    • .... you get the idea.

From what I know, there a long list of PC's that are completely different from Mac's.  And while I agree with your list, I don't think evert Apple device takes the market by storm.  Two example that came to my mind is the Apple TV and HomePod.  Will this new AR/VR device be like an iPhone / iPad or like and Apple TV / HomePod?  We'll see in the next few years.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 15
    XedXed Posts: 2,619member
    Regarding nausea - 

Seasickness is caused by when the visual information from the eyes received by the brain doesn’t match what the inner ear senses.
    I imagine that would still have the same nauseating effect because the brain is registering a lot of jagged movement while the inner ear isn't.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,765member
    Only Two Apple products come to mind that register as “quirky. 

The G4 cube… and the lamp stand iMac. 

With polar opposite levels of success. 

It’s going to be interesting tomorrow! 

I’m guessing a “Minority Report” type of computing experience - with Apple AI coming later to fill in the pre-cog position. 

Personally, I’d rather have a mouse and keyboard. My iPad touch screen is fun and everything, and the pencil is fantastic. but every time I need to create something precise and spectacular, it’s back to the mouse and keyboard. 

If Apple can make this thing truly compelling to pry creative pros and engineers away from keyboards abs mice, that will be something. Eye tracking, with mind reading? Interesting. 
    edited June 2023
  • Reply 11 of 15
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 934member
    I’m getting a Lisa vibe: so I’ll look forward to the Mac. 

And it’s price in 2022 dollars: $29,370. 
    edited June 2023
  • Reply 12 of 15
    JP234 said:
    designr said:
    JP234 said:
    Skeptical said:
    Dear God it’s a headset, not a cure for cancer, or Alzheimer’s cure. FFS, what does this thing do for humanity except represent another money pit for Apple. Having first world worries about something that really benefits no one must be nice. 
    Worries about a headset that won't benefit anyone is one way to look at it. But what about the worries that all these headsets are showing up around the same time as everyone in tech is working on artificial intelligence? And that their inevitable confluence may have catastrophic consequences for humanity. I think that's another, equally concerning way to look at it. And damn, it's worrisome!
    I'm personally much less concerned about AI—and the hysteria surrounding it. However, I am growing much more concerned about technologies that seem to pull people away from real-life, in-person interactions. What's already happened with the smart phone is a bit sad (e.g., seeing 5-6 people sitting together at a restaurant all focused on their phones, etc.) but even something as seemingly innocuous as AirPods—worn in public walking around, in their own little world, disconnected from anyone around. This new device promises more of this.
    Now imagine that a bad actor with access to an advanced AI is able to infiltrate even the most tightly encrypted data stream in just seconds. And that actor starts to subliminally send disinformation directly to your retinas and ears, while you're isolated from events actually happening around you because you just can't get yourself to take those headphones off and lose your place in some game. It's time you got concerned about the potential of AI, particularly the misuse of it.
    You are both right to a point and there are risks ahead us on a societal level but we just have to adapt and put the right protections in place. 

What is ironic (and it's happening now in digital security) is that the protections will be AI based too. 

AI vs AI. 

When it comes to interaction, I grew up with physical contact/communication and think we are better off for it. 

That makes it difficult for me to accept a world of interaction in VR bubbles and avatars but maybe it isn't all as bad as I imagine it. 

Loneliness for example among the elderly is a major problem that many want to sweep under the carpet. 

I imagine that when I'm much older, a VR environment could come in handy. 

By then the experience will be very lifelike, too. I just wonder how I will want my avatar to look. 

Right now there is an overwhelming trend towards to digitally 'improving' ourselves. Will there be pushback against that at some point? 

muthuk_vanalingamJP234
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Another non-story from Gurman. Nothing he said in his profound newsletter is actually news. He writes what everyone already knows. 

Gurman is a hack. His “news”letter is garbage. Stop quoting him!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 810member
    Cannot wait to buy. Nice!😁👍