Apple Vision Pro headset will get its own App Store featuring apps for visionOS

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2023
Apple Vision Pro will launch with its own App Store featuring apps created for the new visionOS platform.

Just as with the
iPad when it launched, Apple is including a dedicated App Store. That's much sooner than how long it took the Apple Watch to get its own store, and even the original App Store came a year after the iPhone launched.

"Apple Vision Pro will have a brand new app store where users can discover and download all the apps built for visionOS," said Susan Prescott, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations, "as well as compatible iPad and iPhone apps."

"We can't wait to see what developers will do with this groundbreaking platform," she continued. "Our amazing developer and app ecosystem is one of the reasons people love their Apple products."

Apple Vision Pro will be available from early 2024. More information about visionOS and its App Store will be revealed closer to the headset's launch.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    My order will go in the second they are available.  Truly stunning.  I won't be buying any more monitors or TVs!  I was left wondering if input from a mouse or an Apple pencil is going to be supported for using the likes of Photoshop.  I can't see that done with fingers.
    edited June 2023 JP234CluntBaby92williamlondonKierkegaardenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    coolerkidcoolerkid Posts: 18member
    I was almost certain I was going to buy it no matter what, until I saw the price. Overdelivered on features, really amazing, but was hoping they would surprise on the price and come in below $3k. No way I would strap $3500 to my head in public. Gonna be many years for the price to come down enough for this to get mainstream adoption. 
    JP234CluntBaby92williamlondonentropys
  • Reply 3 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    I don't know much about optics so I don't know how people with prescription lenses can get this device to accommodate their eyesight. Are those lenses in the Vision Pro replaceable with custom prescription lenses? In any case clearly Apple has made this device with features to accommodate people who need corrective vision, so that probably won't be a reason for this device to fail. I'm not worried about that now.

Apple did a lot of things right. If it works well, the Vision Pro may be able to replace a display. But I'm not sure if eye fatigue will be a problem. And for those of us with eczema who scratch our foreheads, eyebrows and noses a lot, that may also be a problem. (Skin fatigue?)

I did predict that Apple would make it work with Facetime by assembling your eyes with your face using an external camera. I just didn't realize the camera would be mounted on the external frame of the device. (I thought they would use some sort of selfie stick contraption.) I also predicted correctly that the new chip would be called the "R1."

Is it possible to link the device to my iris in such a way that a thief would never be able to use my device if they happened to grab it and run away? Or can a thief do a factory reset and match it to his own iris? I would be afraid to use it in public without this.
    edited June 2023 CluntBaby92watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    DUDE… it’s called VISION PRO, not Reality Pro.  That was the name the Internet made up before it was unveiled, so you can stop calling it that now.  

Btw, I have the Meta Quest 2, Meta Quest Pro, and PS VR 2.  A complete set of Zeiss prescription lenses only costs $75-$100 for each separate device.
    edited June 2023 baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Given the high performance capabilities (complex sensors, complex chips, 2 4K microOLED displays, high quality comfort head scarfs, etc) of Apple Vision Pro, do you honestly expect Apple to sell for less???? 

Apple is essentially revolutionizing the whole AR world and manages to take privacy and security seriously.  

Apple does the AR right and nailed it perfectly with UX, unlike many failures of other companies that just don't really think about the whole UX. Their platforms always feel disconnected, incoherent, and awkward. 

CluntBaby92danoxwilliamlondonbaconstangiqatedoKierkegaardenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    DUDE… it’s called VISION PRO, not Reality Pro.  That was the name of the Internet made up before it was unveiled so you can stop calling it that now 
    Fair enough. I guess I should edit my post so that people don't get angry at me. Thanks.
    Kierkegaardenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    apple1991apple1991 Posts: 35member
    Imagine figma illustrator and photoshop in Vision pro
    CluntBaby92watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    coolerkid said:
    I was almost certain I was going to buy it no matter what, until I saw the price. Overdelivered on features, really amazing, but was hoping they would surprise on the price and come in below $3k. No way I would strap $3500 to my head in public. Gonna be many years for the price to come down enough for this to get mainstream adoption. 
    I didn't get the impression it was meant to be worn out & about in public. 
    williamlondonbaconstangKierkegaardenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member
    coolerkid said:
    I didn't get the impression it was meant to be worn out & about in public. 
    Home, airplane, train, office, library, classroom, conference room, in short indoors.
    williamlondonbaconstangRudeBoyRudywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    If you watch the State Of The Union video there are some clips of xCode where visionOS is called xrOS.  Must've been a fairly recent change.

edited June 2023 applebynatureiqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    This thing is incredible. Will it get the military 10% discount? Probably not. But I want. This is exactly what I had wanted and more but never thought it would be that. It just played Battleship with Quest and blew it out of the water. I'm not a gamer but with this I just might consider some. 

The $3500 price did take my breath away for a second but I recovered. Is it AC and DC powered or just DC powered. Not being tied to a wall cord is great but that battery will be pricey. If DC only I might want a spare.

Btw, I have the Meta Quest 2, Meta Quest Pro, and PS VR 2.  A complete set of Zeiss prescription lenses only costs $75-$100 for each separate device.
    By prescription lenses this means ground to an Rx that included correction for astigmatism? $100 isn't bad at all.

The line at an Apple Store to try this will be huge. Maybe Apple should run a credit check (anybody know the move reference?) to see if everyone qualifies for a preview.

The fascinating thing to me is once a user positions their "screens" and "windows", what "anchors" them in place relative to the user's head movements? Anyway these can't get here soon enough.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    a_harolda_harold Posts: 2member
    As amazing as it is ... it does come across to me as the bubbly version, something like the first iPhone, of a product that will eventually be great. It will take a couple of versions to realize how limited this first version really is. It's functionality really doesn't make it seem like a 'Pro' device, that signature is really just a compliment for early adopters willing to pay the premium for something that will be outdated within a couple of years.