watchOS 10 runs on Apple Watch Series 4 and newer models

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple's milestone watchOS 10 update will be usable by all current Apple Watch models that can run watchOS 9, the company has revealed.

Apple Watch Series 4
Apple Watch Series 4

Following the announcement of watchOS 10 at WWDC 2023, Apple has confirmed the compatibility requirements for the wearable device's operating system. It was good news, with no drops in support for any devices that already run watchOS 9.

That means watchOS 10 will be available for all models from the Apple Watch Series 4 and later, including the Apple Watch SE and newer models like the Apple Watch Ultra. However, it will require an iPhone Xs or later running iOS 17.

Apple last dropped support for some models with watchOS 9, deciding at the time to eliminate the Apple Watch Series 3 from the compatibility list.

The update will, as usual, be free to download sometime this fall.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Apple sold the Series 3 for far too long.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,138member
    entropys said:

Yes, Apple sold a very good option for many people, at a price many people found reasonable, for far longer than they should have.  They should have pulled that model from the market years ago, and made everyone upgrade.  In fact, they probably should have remotely disabled all the ones currently in the wild so that people would be forced to upgrade.  Why on earth Apple waited so long is beyond me...
    /s
  • Reply 3 of 3
    entropys said:

Yes, Apple sold a very good option for many people, at a price many people found reasonable, for far longer than they should have.  They should have pulled that model from the market years ago, and made everyone upgrade.  In fact, they probably should have remotely disabled all the ones currently in the wild so that people would be forced to upgrade.  Why on earth Apple waited so long is beyond me...
    /s
    Ridiculous response to a well reasoned post. If I remember correctly, Series 3 was having performance, storage and battery issues, particularly with later versions of Watch OS.