Apple accidentally releases public iOS 17 beta early [u]

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2023
The developer-only beta of iOS 17 is available to all users, seemingly by mistake.

Apple announced at WWDC 2023 that a public beta, or test, release of the forthcoming iOS 17 would be released in July. But it is now already available in what has to be a simple but colossal mistake.

As first spotted by Twitter user Connor Jewiss, iOS 17 is listed as available for download in the beta section of Settings. This is the same release that has been, correctly, released for developers.

Apple's iOS 17 beta is available early, by accident
Apple's iOS 17 beta is available early, by accident

Doubtlessly, Apple will pull the release shortly, but in the meantime, AppleInsider recommends -- urges -- that no one download it. Beta test versions are, by definition, far from ready for general use and it is possible to permanently lock up an iPhone if there is a problem.

Apple's iOS 17 will enter public beta in July and then iterate through many versions until the final release, which is expected around September or October 2023.

Update: Apple has introduced a free tier for the developer program that includes beta access, so this wasn't a mistake. All users need is a free Apple ID to enroll in the free tier of the developer program.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Downloading now.

It shows up as a developer beta even though I don't have a paid developer account.  We'll see what it does.

(Yes, it's my secondary iPhone.  I don't even really care if it's mostly broken.)
    edited June 2023 appleinsideruser
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Guys, we know what beta means and we know the risks of downloading beta software!!
    darkvaderJaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Ok, it's installed.

It seems fine.  The new features are about as exciting as I expected them to be (which means they aren't).

It doesn't seem significantly slower, so there's that.  As always with betas, the first thing you have to do is go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Analytics & Improvements and make sure you turn off everything.

I haven't noticed any stability problems yet.  It's probably safe to disregard the dire warnings and go ahead.  I mean, I'm not putting it on my primary iPhone, but my primary iPhone is an 8+, so I don't think it'll even run it.
    appleinsideruser
  • Reply 4 of 10
    nicktennnicktenn Posts: 1member
    Putting it on main ipad and iphone and 1 tv, LEEROOOY JENKINS!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 508member
    darkvader said:
    Ok, it's installed.

It seems fine.  The new features are about as exciting as I expected them to be (which means they aren't).

It doesn't seem significantly slower, so there's that.  As always with betas, the first thing you have to do is go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Analytics & Improvements and make sure you turn off everything.

I haven't noticed any stability problems yet.  It's probably safe to disregard the dire warnings and go ahead.  I mean, I'm not putting it on my primary iPhone, but my primary iPhone is an 8+, so I don't think it'll even run it.
    iPhone 8 and x are no longer getting new major versions of iOS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    GGNORE252 said:
    darkvader said:
    Ok, it's installed.

iPhone 8 and x are no longer getting new major versions of iOS.
    Get owned darkvader
    Riveting first post. 
    appleinsideruserAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 383member
    I'm being offered the iOS 17 Dev beta on my iPhone X, even though it's not supposed to be supported there.

No, I'm not going to risk installing it.
    edited June 2023 chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    bonobob said:
    I'm being offered the iOS 17 Dev beta on my iPhone X, even though it's not supposed to be supported there.

No, I'm not going to risk installing it.

Same
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    Looks like this isn't a mistake, See tweet Apple has officially made the developer betas available for free.
    appleinsideruserwatto_cobra