Is Jaguar done?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So, what do folks think? We're up to 10.2.5, and this release seems very polished from my perspective...will it go higher, or will we get Panther as the next upgrade?

10.1 went up to 10.1.5, and 10.0 went up to 10.0.4...so we're in the neighborhood of the past, if that is any indication.

If we see a demo of Panther in June, it'll probably ship in...um..September? October? Does anyone remember when 10.1.5 hit the streets, and how long it was before 10.2?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think Jaguar has at least one more revision due. Even though I haven't had any problems with any of the releases, it seems as if some people have.

The most any version of the Mac OS was revised was 6.0, going all the way up to 6.0.8. I really doubt Jaguar will go that high - it's usually about 2 months per update, and they probably won't update it shortly before Panther. So maybe 10.2.6, but that'll probably be it.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    It is hard to tell. We may see 10.2.6 and I think that it is a slight possiblity. I think with the 10.0 line they went to 10.0.4 and then to 10.1. 10.1 went to 10.1.5 and then to 10.2. Maybe 10.2 will go to 10.2.6. Maybe that is a trend to increase one .1 release every major upgrade.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

It is hard to tell. We may see 10.2.6 and I think that it is a slight possiblity. I think with the 10.0 line they went to 10.0.4 and then to 10.1. 10.1 went to 10.1.5 and then to 10.2. Maybe 10.2 will go to 10.2.6. Maybe that is a trend to increase one .1 release every major upgrade.

Riiight

When was 10.1.5 released in relation to Jag? I think that would give us a better estimate than counting numbers.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    10.1.5 was released sometime near May 20, 2002.

Apple has never followed a pattern with the amount of updates released. The most they ever did was 6.0 to 6.0.8, and there was also 7.5 to 7.5.5, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern. For a while, they didn't have any 0.0.1 releases, just 0.1 and 0.5 releases (for example, there's no 8.0.1, 8.1.1, 8.6.1, or 9.1.1). They release updates as needed.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    10.2.5 is rather buggy. A 10.2.6 would be very welcome.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Apple has never followed a pattern with the amount of updates released... They release updates as needed.

There is no point in planning the number of bug fix updates. If tomorrow they find that something is very wrong, 10.2.6 will be here in a week.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well sometimes bugfixes from the next major update trickle down. I am sure there will be a 10.2.6 because there is just too much left to fix in 10.2.5. Plus it looks like Panther will wait for G5s at the end of the Summer. Anyone expecting the G5 at MWNY is on crack, but at the end of the summer it looks reasonable to "announce" shipping in "4-6 weeks" which means 6-8 weeks.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    I think I'm patient enough to wait for another minor bump or two.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    10.2.6 for PPC970-based towers
  • Reply 10 of 29
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Well sometimes bugfixes from the next major update trickle down. I am sure there will be a 10.2.6 because there is just too much left to fix in 10.2.5. Plus it looks like Panther will wait for G5s at the end of the Summer. Anyone expecting the G5 at MWNY is on crack, but at the end of the summer it looks reasonable to "announce" shipping in "4-6 weeks" which means 6-8 weeks.

Now now, I know many decent people who are on crack. You really shouldn't put them down like that. Heck, one day you may be on crack too.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    10.2.5 is no more buggy then 10.2.4 was i dont think...least not for me...still have to figure out why i get kernal panics...stupid no good impossible to figure out UNIX haha
  • Reply 12 of 29
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

still have to figure out why i get kernal panics...stupid no good impossible to figure out UNIX...

Probably one-a dem CStO errors.

• Reply 13 of 29
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Umm, there was an 8.5.1, an 8.5.2, and 8.6.1, a 9.0.1, 9.0.2, 9.0.3 and 9.0.4, there's also been a 9.2.1 and a 9.2.2.

But of course you're right about there not being a pattern. Those incremental updates are made available for bug fix purposes mainly but also have been (small & bigger) feature upgrades since 10.0.

There might be a 10.2.6 if there are still many bugs found that can be fixed with minimal effort. Guess the devs are at Panther now mainly.

Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

10.1.5 was released sometime near May 20, 2002.

Apple has never followed a pattern with the amount of updates released. The most they ever did was 6.0 to 6.0.8, and there was also 7.5 to 7.5.5, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern. For a while, they didn't have any 0.0.1 releases, just 0.1 and 0.5 releases (for example, there's no 8.0.1, 8.1.1, 8.6.1, or 9.1.1). They release updates as needed.

• Reply 14 of 29
    Well givin the quality rate of Apples previous updates, I say no I don`t want a 10.2.6, In fact I`m afried of how crappy 10.2.6 would be. Whats wrong with Apple and these updates latly?
  • Reply 15 of 29
    I'M NOT A long time Mac user but how often does the new windows have updates ?And if mac released a new platform called Panther would that leave supped up G3 users out in the cold?I for one felt screwed that I even bought OS 10.0 to only have to buy 10.2 .If this happens I really think a plan of action should be taken to let apple know the displeasure of its users .I would even think of buying the next level PC.If this is normal dropping 200.00bucks every time I turn around.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by shamen56

If this is normal dropping 200.00bucks every time I turn around.

Only $120, and for teachers free, and for students a mere $60. Jaguar ROCKS and was worth cover price. If you don't want the update, don't buy it. As for me, I'll be first in line to shell out for Panther. G3s should rightly be left out. They are far too old to be up to stats for a top of the line OS.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

G3s should rightly be left out. They are far too old to be up to stats for a top of the line OS.

Actually the g3 is a good chip, but apple has to nuter it so it does not look better thant the g4 with its faster bus and whatnot. The main thing that makes the g4 better than the g3 is its use of altivec.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    True that. Crippleware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reminds me of the USB2 thread. I digress.

Jaguar is not done and I would welcome at least one more update. Hopefully it will be better than 10.1.5, which wasn't done. They should focus on fixing bugs and wait for more features like BlueTooth for example for Panther.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

G3s should rightly be left out. They are far too old to be up to stats for a top of the line OS.

Panther will have to support g3s, due to the fact that Apple is still selling g3s. They would be angering a lot of iBook users if they made Panter g4 and above only.

If you bought a new mac today and Apple rolled out a new OS less than 6 months later that would not run on your machine, wouldn't you be pissed?

I'm sure the min. requirements for Panther will be a fast g3, maybe 600+mhz, but i will be quite surprised if Panther cannot run on g3s that are less than 6-8months old.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    I think its wrong to have to buy a new OS every year.Call me crazy but I think every two years would be sufficient.Also where I live it was 200.00 I'm not a teacher ,or a student .

I noticed no one said anything about the windows comment.