Tim Cook: Apple Vision Pro tech is mindblowing, and will be too expensive for many

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2023
Speaking on "Good Morning America," Apple CEO Tim Cook has acknowledged that Apple Vision Pro will be too expensive for many, but says the cost is because of the "mind-blowing" engineering in it.

Tim Cook on
Tim Cook on "Good Morning America"

Following the launch of Apple Vision Pro at WWDC, Tim Cook has been interviewed by ABC News "Good Morning America" co-anchor Robin Roberts, who also got to try out the device. Roberts says she was immersed in its mindful app, amongst others, and that the device is "surprisingly lightweight" and comfortable.

"It's a beautiful object," Cook said to her in the full video. "The real thing, of course, that it does is enable you to see, hear and interact with digital content right in your physical spaces as if it's there."

"That's spatial computing," he continued. "And it is a big idea."

Roberts pressed Cook about whether Apple really believes people will pay $3,500 for the headset. "Do you think this is something that the average person will be able to afford?" she asked.

"I don't know," admitted Cook. "I think people will make different choices depending upon their current financial situation and so forth."

"[But the] engineering and depth of engineering in it is mind blowing, you've got more than a 4k experience in each eye," he continued. "And of course, it doesn't come for free."

"It costs something to do that," said Cook. "But I think it's a great value."

Roberts also asked about users becoming isolated from the real world, and Cook said that had been a concern during the development of the Vision Pro.

"It's a major point that was a design point of ours from the start," he said. "This is not about isolation, this is about connection."

"This is about having people there that feel like they're there with you," continued Cook.

Read on AppleInsider
darbus69

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 620member
    "[But the] engineering and depth of engineering in it is mind blowing, you've got more than a 4k experience in each eye," he continued. "And of course, it doesn't come for free."
    For reference the human eye has an approximate resolution of 32K.
    davgregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 45
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,702member
    Cook in Marketing Mode. I get it but it still irks.

It definitely is about isolation. There is no other way out of that. It can be about connection too, though. It's both. 

Trying to deflect like that really doesn't help very much.

There are dangers but also a lot to be positive about (except the price, of course. LOL) 
    byronlgrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 45
    $3500 in 2023 isn't really that expensive relative to the history of personal computing. It's not a price point for everyone but it's nothing outrageous especially when you start including inflation as part of the calculations. And one look at the pricing for really large 4K OLED TVs and you start to see the "value" aspect pretty quickly. LG 77-83 inch TVs in that size are easily in the $3500 range...and they don't include an M2 spatial computer as part of the deal. 
    edited June 2023 StrangeDaysdewmegregoriusmbyronlblastdoorwilliamlondonmacxpressbaconstangBiCradarthekat
  • Reply 4 of 45
    darbus69darbus69 Posts: 33member
    [edited by moderator to remove copy of entire article.  Please don’t do that, it means everyone has to scroll passed the whole article a second time just to read your comment.  - Radar]
    Why the squealing about price when you can pay $2200 for a Samsung Fold??? Easy choice to live in the future today…

edited June 2023 dewmerobin hubergregoriusmwilliamlondonbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 45
    darbus69 said:
    Speaking on "Good Morning America," Apple CEO Tim Cook has acknowledged that Apple Vision Pro will be too expensive for many, but says the cost is because of the "mind-blowing" engineering in it.

Tim Cook on

Following the launch of Apple Vision Pro at WWDC, Tim Cook has been interviewed by ABC News "Good Morning America" co-anchor Robin Roberts, who also got to try out the device. Roberts says she was immersed in its mindful app, amongst others, and that the device is "surprisingly lightweight" and comfortable.

"It's a beautiful object," Cook said to her in the full video. "The real thing, of course, that it does is enable you to see, hear and interact with digital content right in your physical spaces as if it's there."

Roberts pressed Cook about whether Apple really believes people will pay $3,500 for the headset. "Do you think this is something that the average person will be able to afford?" she asked.

"I don't know," admitted Cook. "I think people will make different choices depending upon their current financial situation and so forth."

Roberts also asked about users becoming isolated from the real world, and Cook said that had been a concern during the development of the Vision Pro.

"It's a major point that was a design point of ours from the start," he said. "This is not about isolation, this is about connection."

"This is about having people there that feel like they're there with you," continued Cook.

Read on AppleInsider
    Why the squealing about price when you can pay $2200 for a Samsung Fold??? Easy choice to live in the future today…

It will definitely Appeal to the same crowd with the same disposable income. 

In terms of unit sales, I'm sure it will outrun the Mac Pro. 
    gregoriusmbyronltokyojimuradarthekat
  • Reply 6 of 45
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    avon b7 said:

It definitely is about isolation. There is no other way out of that. It can be about connection too, though. It's both. 

There are dangers but also a lot to be positive about (except the price, of course. LOL) 
    You could literally say the same thing about any new technology, including newspapers. Cry me a river and clutch them pearls. 
    dewmerobin huberwilliamlondonbaconstangbestkeptsecretradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 45
    avon b7 said:

You could literally say the same thing about any new technology, including newspapers. Cry me a river and clutch them pearls. 
    Are you saying newspapers are immersive? 

Some things isolate by definition. Trying to argue otherwise is not a good idea. 

• Reply 8 of 45
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    When you consider that the goggles literally give you a high quality monitor the size of your entire width and depth of vision, it's way cheaper than a Pro Display XDR. That feature alone justifies the pricing.
    tokyojimuwilliamlondonbaconstangradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 45
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,326member
    How many times does he get the “spatial computing” buzzword in on average during his interviews?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 45
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    avon b7 said:

When books were first made, everyone probably said the same thing about books, you’re sitting, you’re isolated. What are you doing? Are you a bookworm? The more things change the more they remain the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFvXuyITwBI

The Vision cost that much for a reason, and in the first eight minutes of this video, it’s very evident why and it has a new OS designed just for it.

A new ecosystem has just been created…… many will discounted it at first but Apple may have did it again, and after watching the first eight minutes of that video and Apples presentation, I really do need to buy more Apple shares.

edited June 2023 robin hubergregoriusmbyronlwilliamlondonbaconstangbestkeptsecretradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 45
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Interesting device. Not for me.
    williamlondonhselburn
  • Reply 12 of 45
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    It won't be a headset on every head, like the iPhone or the Apple Watch, but it will have broad appeal in 5 years to 10 years. I love the weight: at 453g it is only 70g heavier than the AirPods Max. Not featherlight, but perfectly wearable without straining your neck.
    gregoriusmbyronlwilliamlondonbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 45
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    This is the direction of the future of technology, like it or not. Apple is now publicly in the game. Vision Pro is both evolutionary AND revolutionary. As they used to say in print advertising, “watch this space.”

As the product evolves it will become smaller, lighter, less obtrusive, and cheaper. Just like all other Apple products. Their first step looks pretty well thought out to me. I will likely buy one, just as I have every other Apple “first:” Macintosh (actually IIsi), iPhone, iPad, Watch, HomePod, and AirPods. Not a one was a disappointment. 
    edited June 2023 rjacobsongregoriusmbyronldanoxbaconstangkestralradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 45
    rjacobsonrjacobson Posts: 12member
    avon b7 said:

Well put, indeed it makes the isolation worse and at 72 what I have found what is of most importance is being in present relationships with friends and family, with nature and other creatures, with life not a cool device that presents a “feeling” of being present which is bull crap. 

Yes lots of positive stuff and if I were not retired and on a pension I could see this as a great work device for me personally as a geologist. But that day is long gone so for me it would be fun to play with but not a device to improve time watching shows with family.
    williamlondonradarthekat
  • Reply 15 of 45
    $3500 in 2023 isn't really that expensive relative to the history of personal computing. It's not a price point for everyone but it's nothing outrageous especially when you start including inflation as part of the calculations. And one look at the pricing for really large 4K OLED TVs and you start to see the "value" aspect pretty quickly. LG 77-83 inch TVs in that size are easily in the $3500 range...and they don't include an M2 spatial computer as part of the deal. 
    Well that would be true if my disposable income as a retiree from the State of Illinois were enough to have a house to have such of large TV/home theatre let alone pay the money for such a setup.  I have to plan my apple device purchases  and do my Mac and ipad every 4-5 years (just did with money saved over the time since last getting them) The iphone upgrade program made iphone affordable to me ect.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 45
    darbus69 said:

Tim Cook on

Read on AppleInsider

But if you cannot afford the $2200 either and do not have a big enough house/living room to put it then even harder to see the price of $3500 plus prescription lenses and taxes a real deal.
    williamhwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 45
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    Being in thinking of finally changing my ‘stupid’ Samsung 32” fullHD TV for something newer and seeing the prices of 4K TVs with more than 70” screen, well, this isn’t that much more expensive. When i know this ‘TV’ i can take anywhere with me 😎 but yes, it is hell of money indeed…
    williamlondonkestralwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 45
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Many commenters here have hit the points well, but any tech is a personal choice about the value. Yes, $3500 is not a trivial amount, but there are plenty of other entertainment systems (or work platforms) in this range that offer less capability. There are many potential users that will feel $3500 is a bargain. Others less so. My guess is that this will go like Apple's other tech innovations, notably the watch. Panned at first (as was the iPad) and now are ubiquitous. 

What I saw revealed looked like a predicted any competitor would have been thrilled to release as a final product, but my suspicion is Apple sees this as an entry to a new platform early as something of a beta product. (Compare that original Apple Watch to the current generation device for a good example.) It may take a few years, but there lots of room for this to get better...and Apple is a company that can and will actually do it. 

All that said, I don't see myself standing in line on launch day. But i'm intrigued. There is plenty of Apple products I can't say that about (Watch Ultra, Mac Pro/Studio, MBP) as I have no actual need or use for...but of course thrilled that others have them available and value them. 
    rjacobsongregoriusmbyronlradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 45
    kestral said:
    When you consider that the goggles literally give you a high quality monitor the size of your entire width and depth of vision, it's way cheaper than a Pro Display XDR. That feature alone justifies the pricing.
    If you have the money, which I do not as a retiree. I do good to update my MacBook and iPad Pro every 4-5 years, pay for iphone upgrade program with monthly payments.  And as a retiree does not fit with what I do at home with my wife (kids all grown and gone) in terms of watching TV or whatever.  Now as retired geologist if I were working  (maybe consulting) I could see some cool computing uses and not needing space for all the big displays. But at 72 not planning such any more (thought about consulting when I retired in 2007 but things did not work.  So probably not justifiable for us right now or near future. Down road who knows.
    byronlwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 45
    JP234 said:
    Future tech is never cheap. When the future becomes mainstream, the price drops, usually precipitously. Every $500 drop in the price of Vision Pro (or Vision Amateur, whatever they decide to call it), will bring in tens of thousands of new endusers. My price is about $1,500-1,750 (AppleCare included) same as a new laptop. And I need to see new, dedicated apps that I can't get anywhere else. I may have to wait a long time, may never at all. I'm OK either way.
    Yeah maybe then.  $1K (applecare and such included) and on a plan or way to update my iphone also every other year and you got me LOL but also need to see as retired geologist what use one of these would have for me.
    williamlondonJP234