Final Cut Pro said to be available for Apple Vision Pro at launch

Posted:
in General Discussion
According to YouTuber and filmmaker Matti Haapoja, Final Cut Pro will be available for the Apple Vision Pro at launch -- but it's not clear exactly how.

Final Cut Pro running on a Mac screen on the Apple Vision Pro
Final Cut Pro running on a Mac screen on the Apple Vision Pro

On Monday, Apple announced Vision Pro, a mixed-reality headset that marks Apple's official entrance into the AR/VR market. One of the largest selling features is the ability to work in a virtual space with a series of digital "monitors."

The announcement profiled a number of apps, including Mail, TV, Safari, and Freeform. However, according to Matti Haapoja, Final Cut Pro will also be available for Vision Pro -- at launch.

I just tried Apple Vision Pro and it's gonna completely change filmmaking, storytelling and content creation.

I've never experienced that sort of presence, feeling like I'm there in the scene.

-- Matti Haapoja (@MattiHaapoja)
It's currently unclear how this would be accomplished. During Monday's presentation, a video showed a creative working on Final Cut Pro via a Mac window.

However, it is possible that the Vision Pro could use the iPadOS version of Final Cut Pro, or perhaps even a standalone version designed specifically for the device.

In May, Apple released Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro for the iPad. Users are able to purchase a subscription to either app for $4.99 per month or $49 per year.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    The actual tweet where he made the "available at launch" claim:
    And editing in Final Cut Pro in AR will be available for launch  editing with eyes and gestures. We freaking finally get to edit minority report styles.
    Quite the scoop for a random YouTuber.
    edited June 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    He’s not some random YouTuber, he’s got a decent number of subs and is big into video editing and production etc. But I stopped watching him a long time ago after he sold out to Premiere Pro so I’m a little shocked to see him saying anything about Apple products. Cool, I guess. 

I could care less who reported on it, the prospect of editing in FCPX with the Vision Pro sounds amazing, in theory. We’ll just have to wait and see how Apple have executed it. 
    ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I know next to nothing about video editing, but this seems like a pretty big deal. Certainly bigger than the small number of comments would suggest. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    DoctorQDoctorQ Posts: 51member
    I assume it’s for producing Vision Pro media.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I couldn't imagine how uncomfortable this would be at the end of a 10 hour edit day. Previewing your work perhaps, but actually editing all day? No thanks. Maybe a few edits here and there for simple social media post, but we're working on a documentary or serial for TV workflow? I have serious doubts and expect some serious caveats. 
    edited June 2023 williamlondonAlex1Ndav
  • Reply 6 of 8
    owen35owen35 Posts: 15member
    Apple didn't really go into details on this, but they have this on their website: "All‑new Apple Immersive Videos are 180-degree 3D 8K recordings captured with Spatial Audio."  Who knows if the only method of recording is via the headset, but it is VERY intriguing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,872member
    These are the Apple devices that use the base M2 chip, Final Cut should easily work on day one, unless there’s some unforeseen problem.

The Vision Pro uses the entry level M2 along with the new R1 SOC co-processor, if it performs as well as some of the people, who have used it just for a brief time at WWDC have said, it means Apple has plenty of headroom to increase the Vision Pro performance in the future.

PS: memory capacity, for the base chip is 8-24 gigabytes    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_M2

M2 computers that currently use the chip.
    • MacBook Air (M2, 2022)
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch, M2, 2022)
    • iPad Pro (11-inch, 6th generation) (2022)
    • iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 6th generation) (2022)
    • Mac Mini (2023)
    • Vision Pro (2024)

edited June 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,257member
    It really underscores what a great job Apple has done developing the M-Series. 
    It reminds me of how the Amiga got such great performance. You have the M2 running the show, so to speak, and then various custom co-processors to do specialized tasks. 
    We went from the G5 which had nine fans and a power brick that got stove hot playing Quake on a CRT monitor, to a device you wear on your head with no fans that has 1000x the computing power. Amazing. 
    StrangeDays