Apple's live events are probably a thing of the past, and that's sad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2023
This year's WWDC keynote was another shiny, practiced, and well-oiled presentation for a bunch of new things coming down the pipe. It's a clear sign that Apple's is probably done with the way it used to handle announcements -- and that's sad.

Tim Cook at WWDC 23
Tim Cook at WWDC 23

The coronavirus pandemic changed a lot of things, but in-person events were always expected to go back to normal. For the most part that has definitely happened, but it sure looks like Apple's not quite ready to jump back on that particular bandwagon.

This year certainly seems to cement that reality, with the company actually inviting people to Apple Park to watch the same video remote folks would watch of the big unveilings. They could have done it live, had people sitting in seats in front of the executives as they brought out hardware to demo, both the devices and new features.

But we're probably done with all that now. Apple has chosen to move away from keynotes and events that may invite potential issues, where the hardware and software might not work as intended and therefore raise concerns before anything launches.

Embrace the chaos

One can't really blame Apple for this. This is a company that, even when things go right on stage for everything else, they can get lambasted for their "courage."

But there's entertainment in embracing the chaos, letting there be some room to see how these devices and software work in the real world -- even if they're all still being tested. Apple might be in the entertainment industry these days, but apparently it's not willing to risk showcasing its features and hardware not working exactly how they should anymore.

It's not like there are a lot of examples to pull from. It's certainly not a secret these days that the original iPhone was basically working on a wing and a prayer when Steve Jobs demoed the device for the first time on stage.

Jobs also ran into an issue with Wi-Fi of all things when he unveiled the iPhone 4. One demo unit wasn't able to load content while connected to Wi-Fi, so he tried to switch to AT&T's 3G network -- which also failed. It was a genuinely funny moment that Jobs made the best of, and even got feedback from the crowd.

Craig Federighi tests TrueDepth Camera in iPhone X
Craig Federighi tests TrueDepth Camera in iPhone X

Years later, Craig Federighi would step up on stage to showcase Face ID in the iPhone X with a "failed" demo. He tried to unlock the device with just his face, like the feature is supposed to, but ultimately had to resort to using a passcode to get in.

There was laughter and plenty of finger pointing, but, in the end, it all worked out.

Thing is, in both those instances it actually wasn't the hardware failing. For the iPhone 4 there were just too many devices in the theater connected to Wi-Fi, and therefore the iPhone had trouble loading content.

And, the Face ID fail was actually the device working as it should, as too many people had been using the demo phone and Face ID kept trying to authenticate with Federighi's face. That led to the device demanding a passcode for security.

More of a refined look

That's probably the reasons why Apple wants to move away from the live events. Because other issues can crop up, which can weaken the demo of whatever new thing they are showing off.

Imagine Tim Cook on stage, wearing the Apple Vision Pro while it's connected to its portable battery and it just doesn't work. The battery's dead because someone forgot to double and triple check. He's up there with a dead unit, trying to talk about how great it is and how helpful it is.

Instead, Apple practiced and worked it all out in predetermined and controlled conditions. Everything was designed to work exactly the way it should, with pre-recorded demos and everything in between.

This is great for Apple, because it shows the strengths of what's to come -- but it does remove some of the fun, some of the entertainment. Not that anyone wants everything to fail in some way or another, but it is kind of sad to see that live events from Apple might have already gone the way of the dodo.

Plus, it's especially strange when Apple's primary competitors, Google and Samsung, are out there doing live events again. Apple is a company that touts its connections to people, but apparently live keynotes don't fall under that umbrella anymore.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    diman80diman80 Posts: 13member
    I would disagree with "over-produced" part, in many places audio needed cleaner cuts
    StrangeDaysiOS_Guy80Alex1Neriamjhbyronlnubus
  • Reply 2 of 44
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,861member
    Actually, I prefer these scripted, pre-recorded presentations to the old live events. I think they are able to present a lot more information more clearly and concisely than doing a live event allows. You also avoid wasting time with glitches that have nothing to do with the product or presentation. (Like Craig Federighi's "failed" Face ID demo, which only "failed" because the feature was working as designed and had been disabled because of stage hands handling it and looking at the screen before the demo.) The demos and presentations are also better and more compelling since they don't have the restriction of doing it on a stage in front of a live audience but can be more creative with it.

If one were attending in person, a live event would be more exciting, but how many of us actually ever have the opportunity to attend in person? And, frankly, even the live events were scripted and rehearsed, and the only person who was ever going to go off-script was Steve Jobs, so we aren't really missing anything in that regard. (I was at the WWDC right after Jobs returned to Apple, and I wouldn't have missed the Q&A session he did there for the world (the one where he talked about taking the Newton out back and putting a bullet in it's head, among other topics) but those days are, sadly, long behind us.)

There is some irony, though, that the Steve Jobs Theater was designed and built to host live events and they stopped doing them almost immediately after it was "opened".
    iOS_Guy80avon b7williamlondonjibAnilu_777Alex1Ncitpekssloaahradarthekatjony0
  • Reply 3 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,891member
    Disagree with the bellyaching. These pack in more relevant information in less time. Why on earth should any of us care that they’re more scripted!? Talk about hand-waiving. 
    anonymouseXedwilliamlondonjibAlex1NClarusradarthekatwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 44
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,723member
    designr said:
    What is particularly sad about it is how over-produced and perfectly scripted and choreographed these are. They feel inhuman, inauthentic, and insincere. They are attempting to evoke a Steve Jobs vibe with an abundance of superfluous adjectives (as if that's what Steve was about). It all feels so artificial. It's like going to Disney's EPCOT Center's World Showcase and thinking that you really traveled the world to those countries. It looks (sorta) real but there's this uneasy, sanitized vibe of superficiality.

Apple needs a new vibe with these. Something not Steve™ and something not this.

Apple, get back to being human and real.

P.S. I do think these recorded "events" are a symptom of Apple's hyper-conservative nature. They want control over every tiny detail of their image in a way that leads to crap like this. They want it scripted and controlled and polished in a way that feels not quite human.
    I couldn't agree more, and yes, it's sad. 

Presentations, especially product presentations and keynotes, should be live and with a live audience.

I cringed every time Craig said 'next!'. He just looked unnatural as did most of the people chosen to present something. 

It was almost pantomime style energy. 

Something was wrong and the musical lead ins were just awful IMO. 

Bring back the edge, tension and nerves of truly being up on stage! 

designrcommand_fAlex1Nbyronl
  • Reply 5 of 44
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 823member
    Was fortunate to attend the first shareholders meeting held in the Steve Jobs theater February 13, 2018. Plenty uses for the theater, including large employee gatherings, which apples has held in recent years.

Having pre-recorded presentations like WWC allows for more information to be conveyed in precise, concise fashion, using graphics to help illustrate all the technical reformation. Live is good but pre-recorded is better. Just like meetings Zoom, Webex, FaceTime etc. is the new norm one of the benefits of the pandemic. Can’t wait to attend a zoom meeting using Vision Pro.

StrangeDaysjibAlex1Nradarthekatbyronlwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 44
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,071member
    This was scripted and produced way ahead of time...and it ran for 2 hours. I do think there is value in live presentations and demos, but the risk is all on the producers (as the article rightly describes.) Maybe there's a way to combine, incorporate both elements.

What I *do* think is coming is events produced specific for watching on the Vision Pro; likely not exclusively so, but "here's the cool feed link." Pretty sure Steve would have enjoyed that demo/unveiling of the first iMac in 3-D. Remember the camera guy walking around stage? We were wowed.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 44
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    The fact of the truth is I actually enjoyed watching the VP presentation. 
    jibAlex1Nradarthekatwatto_cobrapichael
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Disagree with the bellyaching. These pack in more relevant information in less time. Why on earth should any of us care that they’re more scripted!? Talk about hand-waiving. 
    Sorry. You cannot be serious. Lest we forget... 

The nerves. The emotion. The drama. 

It could have gone terribly wrong. That's the point. 

A sterile, scripted, advertisement just wouldn't be the same!

And then there is audience engagement. If you have people watching at the place don't play them a video! 

Some of my best memories are from connecting with someone on stage. 

Four minutes into this song at the Marquee, I was a jumping, screaming, fist throwing MF! 

Be warned. Lots of swearing! 

Maybe too much for Tim (LOL) but when you're up there you give it your best. Even when your best might end up a bit wacky. Yes, Steve Ballmer, I'm talking about you! 

edited June 2023 designrcommand_fAnilu_777Alex1Ndarkvaderbyronl
  • Reply 9 of 44
    XedXed Posts: 2,580member
    I couldn't agree more. While I miss the auditorium full of spectators—which is mostly just imagining what it would be like to see these presentations live—these are so much better in their content, delivery, and organization The occasional failed demo or 3rd-party presenters stumbling over their words with a live audience don't help sell product.
    edited June 2023 williamlondonStrangeDaysjibAnilu_777Alex1Nradarthekatwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,891member
    avon b7 said:
    I absolutely can be serious. I think some people have absolutely nothing better to complain about than a computer make using a scripted presentation for a developer conference. Get. Effing. Real. lol. But hey I get it, no matter what Apple does, a segment will always find things to clutch pearls and moan about on their way to the feinting couch.
    edited June 2023 jibAlex1Nwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 44
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,704member
    designr said:
    What is particularly sad about it is how over-produced and perfectly scripted and choreographed these are. They feel inhuman, inauthentic, and insincere. They are attempting to evoke a Steve Jobs vibe with an abundance of superfluous adjectives (as if that's what Steve was about). It all feels so artificial. It's like going to Disney's EPCOT Center's World Showcase and thinking that you really traveled the world to those countries. It looks (sorta) real but there's this uneasy, sanitized vibe of superficiality.

P.S. I do think these recorded "events" are a symptom of Apple's hyper-conservative nature. They want control over every tiny detail of their image in a way that leads to crap like this. They want it scripted and controlled and polished in a way that feels not quite human.
    "They want it scripted and controlled and polished in a way that feels not quite human."

That's because they are not, and never will be, Steve Jobs.  He had a presentation style that was second to none, not only within Apple but the entirety of business.
    command_fAlex1Nwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingamjony0
  • Reply 12 of 44
    avon b7 said:

So, you're only watching for the "crashes"? That seems to be the point of the article. "Embrace the chaos," is a euphemism for, "can't wait to see something crash and burn, oh, wouldn't that be so funny, hahaha," a very immature attitude.

I don't want a presentation where it goes wrong, I want a presentation where it goes right and there aren't distractions along the way.
    Alex1Nradarthekatwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 44
    designr said:

"They want it scripted and controlled and polished in a way that feels not quite human."

That's because they are not, and never will be, Steve Jobs.  He had a presentation style that was second to none, not only within Apple but the entirety of business.
    You don't think Steve Jobs' presentations were scripted, controlled and polished, and rehearsed over and over? Think again. 
    jibAlex1Nwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 14 of 44
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,336member
    Ever since Jobs passed I haven’t found the keynotes particularly worth watching. He understood how to engage an audience.
    designrAlex1N
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Like live theater, there's always something magic and electric about live presentations when things go well and the audience reacts with delight, surprise, and approval. Apple has had plenty of famous live demos — and a handful of infamous ones, too.

I don't necessarily want to see the return of live demos by third-party developers or live music performances to Apple keynotes, as too often either the presenter was not particularly compelling or the segue to/from those performances was awkward. I don't even necessarily want to see the return of live demos by Apple's own people (as in the Steve Jobs days) because Apple's recent prerecorded demos of new products have been produced so beautifully that I'd miss them.

A hybrid approach would be great, in my view. I'd like to see Tim Cook back on stage as the master of ceremonies for a live audience, delivering Apple's wide-angle viewpoint and introducing various Apple staffers to do focused product announcements. If the product demos themselves are slick, prerecorded videos, fine by me — prerecorded videos are likely more informative to the countless viewers watching online than the live on-stage demos were.

When Steve Jobs introduced the original iPhone? Magic. When Tim Cook opened their October 2018 event to an enthusiastic live audience in New York City? Electrifying. When Phil Schiller said "Can't innovate anymore, my ass" and the audience rewarded him with laughter and sustained applause? Quite entertaining.

I would like Apple's keynotes to have at least some live aspects because moments like those are worth seeing and remembering.
    edited June 2023 command_fAlex1Nnubuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 44
    I definitely miss the live events.  I really looked forward to them in the past.  I miss the reaction of the crowd and overall feeling.  I find the recorded events sterile and a bit cheesy.  Apple, please bring the live events back.  
    command_fAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 44
    avon b7 said:

So, you're only watching for the "crashes"? That seems to be the point of the article. "Embrace the chaos," is a euphemism for, "can't wait to see something crash and burn, oh, wouldn't that be so funny, hahaha," a very immature attitude.

I don't want a presentation where it goes wrong, I want a presentation where it goes right and there aren't distractions along the way.
    No. It's a live presentation. There is engagement.

Yes. There is the risk of crashes, glitches and all manner of problems but nobody watches hoping things will fail. That would be crazy but it all adds to the event. To the moment. 

People want to feel part of the show. Being there 'live' adds to the event and so does watching live over a broadcast in real time. 

Watching a pre-recorded video just isn't the same. 

edited June 2023 command_fAlex1N
  • Reply 18 of 44
    designr said:

You don't think Steve Jobs' presentations were scripted, controlled and polished, and rehearsed over and over? Think again. 
    He is putting emphasis on Jobs' presentation style. He had that 'charisma' but wasn't perfect in everything, which drew you in even more.

I'm not a fan of Tim Cook giving presentations. He sounds stale but I'd take him over a prerecorded video any day. 

Schiller was fun. Craig's mix nerves and fun (not taking himself too seriously) was endearing. 
    designrcommand_fAlex1N
  • Reply 19 of 44
    I enjoyed the live presentations of yesteryear. However, as a developer, I find the pre-recorded videos much more educational and informative. This is by far the best way to bring developers up-to-speed on new technology and APIs, and that's the main points of WWDC.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 20 of 44
    I haven't really missed the live presentations. The video approach did seem a bit odd initially in the early stages of the pandemic but the reality for me is that I wouldn't have even thought about the difference today without this article prompting it....so it has turned out to work quite well for the same general purpose, IMO. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobrajony0