Mark Zuckerberg says the Vision Pro doesn't present 'any breakthroughs'

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 93
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member
    I do really wonder whether one of these "naysayer" accounts belongs to John Dvorak...
    watto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 82 of 93
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    hmlongco said:
    avon b7 said:
    But! From what you said on economic market performance, we can draw decent conclusions and that is that this product, at this point in time, and for the reasons I stated, has no guarantee of swallowing up the premium pie in the economics predictions you made. 
    Guarantee? No. Extremely likely? Yes.

Who makes the best selling wearable watches? Who makes the majority of the profits in phones? Who makes the majority of the profits in computers? Who makes the majority of the profits in earphones? 

Apple tends to take any product category that they're in to the next level, and their customers know it. Poor Zuck has to try to beg developers to create apps for his MetaVerse. Apple will, on day one, have hundreds of thousands of apps ready and waiting for users to explore. And that will, mostly likely, include "pro" applications like Final Cut and Logic.

If you think Apple did all of that work to just port them to the iPad, then you're completely missing the big picture.
    When you say 'best selling' for those products you fail to see one massive consideration: they are all available in multiple configurations/price points.

They can be called best selling precisely because of that. 

The Vision Pro will be available (at least as announced) in one, sole configuration whose price will be a massive barrier to adoption.

That changes everything
    I haven't a clue about how many Apple thinks they will ship of the Vision Pro, but the $3500 price point isn't actually a "massive barrier to adoption" for a substantial number of current Apple users worldwide. 

iPhone 14 Pro Max can reach over $1600, and the iPad Pro can reach over $2400; that seems like a lot, but I haven't heard of any consternation from consumers and I'm guessing that Apple sells enough of these to continue offering them.

I expect that Apple will have to demonstrate a broader ecosystem of applications, plus games, and media, to spur purchases. If there is "enough" of that at time of initial deliveries, then Apple will have staked out yet another successful platform that will only continue to evolve.
    Personally, I think it will sell more than other high-priced Apple devices. The Mac Pro, for example. 

However, in the context of my reply ("best selling") it remains a gigantic barrier to adoption. 

Humongous even.

The vast majority of iPhone users will not even be able to touch it with installments. 
    The vast number of Apple Card users will be able to "touch it", with installments if that's what they want;

https://www.apple.com/apple-card/monthly-installments/

Pay for your new Apple products over time, interest‑free

when you choose to check out with
    Apple Card Monthly Installments.1

ronnwilliamlondonwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 83 of 93
    AppleInsider:  Zuckerberg is telling employees that Apple didn't bring anything to the table that his company hadn't "already explored."

By 'explored' Zuck means he watched Minority Report. 
    I guess he meant more like this in this article.

https://mixed-news.com/en/next-gen-vr-meta-shows-its-latest-headset-protoypes/
    avon b7Bart Y
  • Reply 84 of 93
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,958member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    hmlongco said:
    avon b7 said:
    But! From what you said on economic market performance, we can draw decent conclusions and that is that this product, at this point in time, and for the reasons I stated, has no guarantee of swallowing up the premium pie in the economics predictions you made. 

Who makes the best selling wearable watches? Who makes the majority of the profits in phones? Who makes the majority of the profits in computers? Who makes the majority of the profits in earphones? 

Apple tends to take any product category that they're in to the next level, and their customers know it. Poor Zuck has to try to beg developers to create apps for his MetaVerse. Apple will, on day one, have hundreds of thousands of apps ready and waiting for users to explore. And that will, mostly likely, include "pro" applications like Final Cut and Logic.

If you think Apple did all of that work to just port them to the iPad, then you're completely missing the big picture.
    When you say 'best selling' for those products you fail to see one massive consideration: they are all available in multiple configurations/price points.

The Vision Pro will be available (at least as announced) in one, sole configuration whose price will be a massive barrier to adoption.

That changes everything
    I haven't a clue about how many Apple thinks they will ship of the Vision Pro, but the $3500 price point isn't actually a "massive barrier to adoption" for a substantial number of current Apple users worldwide. 

iPhone 14 Pro Max can reach over $1600, and the iPad Pro can reach over $2400; that seems like a lot, but I haven't heard of any consternation from consumers and I'm guessing that Apple sells enough of these to continue offering them.

I expect that Apple will have to demonstrate a broader ecosystem of applications, plus games, and media, to spur purchases. If there is "enough" of that at time of initial deliveries, then Apple will have staked out yet another successful platform that will only continue to evolve.
    Personally, I think it will sell more than other high-priced Apple devices. The Mac Pro, for example. 

However, in the context of my reply ("best selling") it remains a gigantic barrier to adoption. 

Humongous even.

The vast majority of iPhone users will not even be able to touch it with installments. 
    The vast number of Apple Card users will be able to "touch it", with installments if that's what they want;

Not paying interest won't help those who simply don't have enough disposable income (upfront or otherwise) to warrant a purchase.

This is not an always on, full scenario, on-the-go device (smartphone) that can substitute for a computer.

It's a tethered, non-cellular device that will allow you you cut the cable for a couple of hours.

Try an easy test. Ask everyone you know with an iPhone if they are considering one. If not, ask them why. 

Please report back with your findings. 

There are only five iPhones in my family (four of them in one family unit) and all of them can afford a Vision Pro. None of them have the slightest interest in buying one, though.

How many people do you think I'd have to ask to find one willing to buy one?

My brother earns £16,000 a month but he isn't an iPhone user. He is an impulse buyer but has no interest.

One of our mutual friends earns £80,000 a month and has more money that he knows what to do with and spends lots of it very unwisely. He isn't interested either. 
    edited June 2023
  • Reply 85 of 93
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    hmlongco said:
    avon b7 said:

That changes everything

Humongous even.

Not paying interest won't help those who simply don't have enough disposable income (upfront or otherwise) to warrant a purchase.

This is not an always on, full scenario, on-the-go device (smartphone) that can substitute for a computer.

It's a tethered, non-cellular device that will allow you you cut the cable for a couple of hours.

Try an easy test. Ask everyone you know with an iPhone if they are considering one. If not, ask them why. 

There are only five iPhones in my family (four of them in one family unit) and all of them can afford a Vision Pro. None of them have the slightest interest in buying one, though.

My brother earns £16,000 a month but he isn't an iPhone user. He is an impulse buyer but has no interest.

One of our mutual friends earns £80,000 a month and has more money that he knows what to do with and spends lots of it very unwisely. He isn't interested either. 
    LOL!

So, what you are stating, is that there are at least some people that either don't have the income, or aren't interested. Good to know the obvious.

Still, you haven't made the case that $3500 is too much money for the Vision Pro. 

Interestingly enough, Apple will be, at the time of release, the only premium VR headset, and Apple will own that segment of the market, likely thereafter. Those with previous lower cost devices from competitors, may find themselves stuck with newly deprecated devices. Some of those will migrate to the Vision Pro's better experience. For other people, tethered or untethered, the Vision Pro will be a usable substitute for a computer. In fact for a small group of people, it will be an ideal substitute for a computer.

This is all being foretold by the early reviewers.

So, I'm guessing that you attempting to push back against the Vision Pro today and in the near future, for whatever reason, will fail. 

Ironically, the Vision Pro is probability an ideal device for a person like myself that spends 12 hour days inside a shop manufacturing chassis for electronics. I'll be able to operate the Vision Pro hands free while I load and unload parts, listen to music or podcasts,  and I can casually watch "Yellowjackets",  "The Mandalorian", and other series to keep myself entertained. 

I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to take calls, browse the internet, and check my email, though, I will have to come up with a bigger battery pack. I'm betting that won't be an issue at time of delivery.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 86 of 93
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    hmlongco said:
    avon b7 said:

That changes everything

Humongous even.

LOL!

So, what you are stating, is that there are at least some people that either don't have the income, or aren't interested. Good to know the obvious.

Still, you haven't made the case that $3500 is too much money for the Vision Pro. 

Interestingly enough, Apple will be, at the time of release, the only premium VR headset, and Apple will own that segment of the market, likely thereafter. Those with previous lower cost devices from competitors, may find themselves stuck with newly deprecated devices. Some of those will migrate to the Vision Pro's better experience. For other people, tethered or untethered, the Vision Pro will be a usable substitute for a computer. In fact for a small group of people, it will be an ideal substitute for a computer.

So, I'm guessing that you attempting to push back against the Vision Pro today and in the near future, for whatever reason, will fail. 

Ironically, the Vision Pro is probability an ideal device for a person like myself that spends 12 hour days inside a shop manufacturing chassis for electronics. I'll be able to operate the Vision Pro hands free while I load and unload parts, listen to music or podcasts,  and I can casually watch "Yellowjackets",  "The Mandalorian", and other series to keep myself entertained. 

I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to take calls, browse the internet, and check my email, though, I will have to come up with a bigger battery pack. I'm betting that won't be an issue at time of delivery.
    Erm. All I said was the vast majority of people won't be able to afford one, not even with installments. 

You replied with 'but Apple offers interest free installments'.

And? 

I pointed out that that is irrelevant if you don't have the disposable income over the installment period. 

That is very much the case and I asked you to carry out a very simple test to verify it. 

Please report back with your results. 

On general sales of the device, I have stated I think it will sell enough. More than Mac Pro unit sales.

But the point is, and there's no getting away from it, that the vast majority of users will not be getting one and the main reason will be the cost. 

• Reply 87 of 93
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,903member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    hmlongco said:
    avon b7 said:

That changes everything

Humongous even.

LOL!

Erm. All I said was the vast majority of people won't be able to afford one, not even with installments. 

And? 

I pointed out that that is irrelevant if you don't have the disposable income over the installment period. 

That is very much the case and I asked you to carry out a very simple test to verify it. 

On general sales of the device, I have stated I think it will sell enough. More than Mac Pro unit sales.

But the point is, and there's no getting away from it, that the vast majority of users will not be getting one and the main reason will be the cost. 

And I think Apple knows this and is okay with this as a first revision. We've seen Tim's comments on the price which tend to suggest that Apple knows it's not gonna sell a shitload of these. For Apple it may be a good as this sound like it'll be a production nightmare. In time, technology and production will get better and Apple can release other models of this that are cheaper that will lack certain features reserved for the Pro version. Will we ever see a $400 version? I seriously doubt it. As with everything Apple sells, they aren't in a race to the bottom with its pricing unlike most of its competitors. 
    williamlondonronntmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 88 of 93
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    hmlongco said:
    avon b7 said:

That changes everything

Humongous even.

LOL!

And? 

Gee, I asked myself, and I am an iPhone user, and I am interested. Doesn't that count? Shouldn't I be represented by your ruse of a poll?
    edited June 2023 williamlondonronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 93
    macxpress said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    hmlongco said:
    avon b7 said:

That changes everything

Humongous even.

LOL!

And? 

And I think Apple knows this and is okay with this as a first revision. We've seen Tim's comments on the price which tend to suggest that Apple knows it's not gonna sell a shitload of these. For Apple it may be a good as this sound like it'll be a production nightmare. In time, technology and production will get better and Apple can release other models of this that are cheaper that will lack certain features reserved for the Pro version. Will we ever see a $400 version? I seriously doubt it. As with everything Apple sells, they aren't in a race to the bottom with its pricing unlike most of its competitors. 
    Exactly. IMO, it's more important that the product gets a release, and from there, a foothold. 

This is obviously an Apple TV+ kind of move. Something they plan to commit to for the long term. To improve as they go. 

In the meantime, they get months of free marketing inertia without having to prove anything. 

macxpress
  • Reply 90 of 93
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    hmlongco said:
    avon b7 said:

That changes everything

Humongous even.

LOL!

And? 

Gee, I asked myself, and I am an iPhone user, and I am interested. Doesn't that count? Shouldn't I be represented by your ruse of a poll?
    If you are really interested in buying one, yes.

Now widen your sample. 
  • Reply 91 of 93
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    hmlongco said:
    avon b7 said:

That changes everything

Humongous even.

LOL!

And? 

If you are really interested in buying one, yes.

Now widen your sample. 
    I certainly am interested in purchase, but obviously, i too will wait for the release.

It would be prudent to "widen my sample" after release; wouldn't you agree? Curious individuals will have access to them at most any Apple store in the U.S.

So one would expect that asking customers on day one release would derive a realistic polling.
    edited June 2023 williamlondonronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 92 of 93
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,903member
    avon b7 said:
    macxpress said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    hmlongco said:
    avon b7 said:

That changes everything

Humongous even.

LOL!

And? 

Exactly. IMO, it's more important that the product gets a release, and from there, a foothold. 

This is obviously an Apple TV+ kind of move. Something they plan to commit to for the long term. To improve as they go. 

In the meantime, they get months of free marketing inertia without having to prove anything. 

As Steve Jobs said a few times..."Real Artists Ship" 

I'm sure the competition along with Samsung among others are now scrambling to try and copy whatever they can to match Apple Vision Pro. 
    williamlondontmay