Apple wants to build 324,000 square feet of office space in North Carolina

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has officially filed the paperwork to move ahead with the first stage of its plans for construction on its Research Triangle Park campus in North Carolina.

Apple's planned North Carolina campus will sit near Raleigh
Apple's planned North Carolina campus will sit near Raleigh

Five years after its plans leaked in 2018, Apple finally appears to be making headway on its North Carolina campus.

The campus, which could house more than 3,000 workers, calls for buildings up to 73 feet tall, up to 8 stories, and sits on 281 acres of land.

According to WRAL Tech Wire, Apple filed the paperwork on May 30, and had begun applying for permits within Wake County in August 2022. The permits were related to clearing land and managing stormwater before construction officially began.

The Research Triangle Park is the largest research park in the United States, comprising 300 companies across 7,000 acres and employing 65,000 workers. Apple is expected to hire around 2,700 people by 2032 in the sector.

Apple is currently occupying a MetLife office building in Cary until the new campus is complete. It completed $19.3 million in renovations on the building alone.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Suck it, Florida. 🤪
    eightzeroAppleishnapoleon_phoneapartStrangeDaysdewme
  • Reply 2 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,129member
    Suck it, Florida. 🤪
    Yup. And Disney will be moving things there too.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,684member
    About five years ago I recall Tim Cook (and others) calling on people to boycott North Carolina over its bathroom laws, which restricted users to the bathroom of their biology.

I did some googling and it appears that North Carolina revoked its original bathroom law, but replaced it with something 50% weaker. I.e., it's no longer illegal to use the wrong bathroom, but if you do, and the owner stops you, you will have no legal recourse to sue the owner. That's still fairly restrictive.

Apparently Apple considers the new law "good enough." I'm surprised. Has Apple caved on transgender issues?

North Carolina's current governor, a Democrat, unseated the Republican governor five years ago in part because of this bathroom law. But North Carolina still has a Republican House, a Republican Senate, and voted for Trump. That's another reason to be surprised Apple would move there.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 188member
    Suck it, Florida. 🤪
    Hey! I’m from Florida.., damnit. Yup, nailed it. 😎
    eightzero
  • Reply 5 of 12
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 705member
    Suck it, Florida. 🤪
    And Texas.
    napoleon_phoneapart
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    This is cool. The next step would be to work with the city for close proximity medium density housing, with mixed zoning. This would provide an option for people who don’t want to be travelling miles by car and also be an incentive to work in the office. 

If any business is in a position to do this, Apple would be I hope. 
  • Reply 7 of 12
    About five years ago I recall Tim Cook (and others) calling on people to boycott North Carolina over its bathroom laws, which restricted users to the bathroom of their biology.

I did some googling and it appears that North Carolina revoked its original bathroom law, but replaced it with something 50% weaker. I.e., it's no longer illegal to use the wrong bathroom, but if you do, and the owner stops you, you will have no legal recourse to sue the owner. That's still fairly restrictive.

Apparently Apple considers the new law "good enough." I'm surprised. Has Apple caved on transgender issues?

North Carolina's current governor, a Democrat, unseated the Republican governor five years ago in part because of this bathroom law. But North Carolina still has a Republican House, a Republican Senate, and voted for Trump. That's another reason to be surprised Apple would move there.
    Tim Cook never called for a boycott of North Carolina. He was a co-signed a letter from the HRC that called for the law to be repealed. 
    edited June 2023 StrangeDaysronntmay
  • Reply 8 of 12
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Appleish said:
    Suck it, Florida. 🤪
    And Texas.
    I agree with both of those statements as well except the corrupt (R) politicians in N Carolina may be the worst of the bunch
    ronn
  • Reply 9 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,654member
    This probably reflects Apple’s confidence that workers will eventually return to working the majority of their work week in the office. Otherwise, why would they need at that square footage?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    inklinginkling Posts: 773member
    I find it amusing that some posters assume that Apple takes what they believe are the proper political stance on issues such as whether men can go into a women's restroom. That creepy behavior is, for them, the "proper" stance.

They're forgetting that Apple never lets politics, either good or perverted, interfere with making a comfortable profit. It chatters endlessly about privacy but for many years has done most of its manufacturing in China, the largest and most technologically intrusive regime in human history. Only Covid-related production problems and rising labor costs are forcing it to move production elsewhere.

We see the same behavior with app availability. When a one-party dictatorship such as China wants Apple to remove an app that aids pro-democracy demonstrations, it does so without complaint. But when the democratic Netherlands insists that Apple quit taking a 30% share of the income from dating apps, Apple turns defiant. 

Apple's corporate policy is obvious and consistent. Money rules. Nothing else matters.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 12
    inkling said:
    I find it amusing that some posters assume that Apple takes what they believe are the proper political stance on issues such as whether men can go into a women's restroom. That creepy behavior is, for them, the "proper" stance.

They're forgetting that Apple never lets politics, either good or perverted, interfere with making a comfortable profit. It chatters endlessly about privacy but for many years has done most of its manufacturing in China, the largest and most technologically intrusive regime in human history. Only Covid-related production problems and rising labor costs are forcing it to move production elsewhere.

We see the same behavior with app availability. When a one-party dictatorship such as China wants Apple to remove an app that aids pro-democracy demonstrations, it does so without complaint. But when the democratic Netherlands insists that Apple quit taking a 30% share of the income from dating apps, Apple turns defiant. 

Apple's corporate policy is obvious and consistent. Money rules. Nothing else matters.
    I don’t see anyone arguing that men should go into into women’s bathrooms.