Zuckerberg's Apple Vision Pro hot take just gave him a Ballmer iPhone moment

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    DracoDraco Posts: 44member
    Can you actually wear one of these things for hours without having vertigo or other vision problems when you remove it? 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 37
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,895moderator
    AVP (Apple Vision Pro)

Hmm, where have I previously seen that acronym?

One utilizes advanced technology while the other slings acid.  I’m gonna have to cast Tim Apple in the role of the predator in this fight.  

watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 37
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,945member
    JP234 said:
    ... the polka dot iMac G3s ...
    Dalmatian
    JP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 37
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,945member
    JP234 said:
    But Zuckerberg [... is] anti-social, too!

Zuckerberg is a sociopath.
    williamlondondewmewatto_cobrajeffharris
  • Reply 25 of 37
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,683member
    rteichman said:
    The Quest hardware looks like Fisher-Price junk now, next to the VP. 
    Fisher-Price does a very good business selling its “junk”, and I think their target audience would hardly call it junk.
    Two-year olds aren't a particularly discerning audience. 😜
    Yes, but there are more two-year olds on Earth than any other age. Except one-year olds.
    jeffharris
  • Reply 26 of 37
    XedXed Posts: 2,800member
    Not just the HW, but the UI is very primitive and childish... and that was case before Apple Vision Pro was announced.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 37
    In the Blackberry movie—which I highly recommend—they gave Ballmer's line about the iPhone being $600 fully subsidized, to a one of the Blackberry co-CEOs.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 28 of 37
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    Meta may have sold “millions” of a Quest headsets but they certainly aren’t mostly being used in the Metaverse (by Meta) as by all accounts that has very very low uptake and use.  And by many a counts Meta had
    moved on to AI and not really doing much with the Metaverse now as their main focus.  

No one wants to interact with people through a headset.   I’m not sure what problem VP solves either (for the average guy — lots of vertical markets and nerd uses and entertainment sessions for the rich, currently) but the VP at least has a way forward for being useful.   

I’d guess that most of those Quest are sitting there on peoples’ shelves or being used for gaming (I assume that is possible — that it is not only for the Metaverse — I’ve never been interested enough to look).  
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 37
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,230member
    Well, I feel for Mark, I really do. I mean, he knows Quest is, as a poster above put it, a Fisher-Price toy in comparison to VP, but he can't admit that. What's he supposed to say? 
    What’s worse he’s gonna have to greenlight the software department to develop for the Apple Vision, and then avoid questions about it when he talks to the press everywhere he goes…..
    williamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 30 of 37
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,230member
    The value proposition is different for everyone. A single person can look at the Apple Vision Pro ("AVP") and see a replacement for his or her laptop, external monitor(s), TV and Home Cinema and think that $3500 is cheap to replace these devices with one that does offer better functionality, productivity and overall enjoyment.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What truly excites me about the AVP is what Apple calls Spatial Computing: the ability to run everyday apps with virtual monitors that you can configure essentially any way you want. This, for me, is the "killer" app for the AVP. I can't wait to see how effective it will be to do real work on a daily basis.
    Or if you had an iPhone and a Mac laptop and were thinking of getting a fully loaded iPad Pro, you might as well just get the Apple Vision Pro. But you are right on money about replacing external TVs and monitors, particularly if you don’t have the space. Of course this assumes that the Apple Vision Pro performs as shown.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 37
    This Meta Quest 3 promo video seems to counter Zucks claims that vr is social.

https://youtu.be/5AKl_cEB26c
    edited June 2023 dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 37
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,649member
    I’m waiting to see how drone pilots (recreational, commercial, and professional) react to the Apple Vision Pro. It seems like the AVP would be an excellent fit for the drone market. The use of drones for all kinds of commercial and industrial applications is rapidly increasing. Even my lawn maintenance and landscaping guy uses drones for business. I can easily see where Apple or third parties will be offering wearable battery packs that can greatly increase the run time of the AVP with the trade-off being additional weight. The additional weight would be far more tolerable for non-entertainment use cases. 
    watto_cobra13485FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Bjfarrar said:

Eesh! They tried to follow Apple's formula but missed the mark. I noticed that they have controls for you to hold in your hand. Apple Vision Pro may have something like that for very precious work, but I don't think that will be the norm, whereas that seems to be the norm for Quest.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 37
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,956member
    Xed said:
    Bjfarrar said:

Eesh! They tried to follow Apple's formula but missed the mark. I noticed that they have controls for you to hold in your hand. Apple Vision Pro may have something like that for very precious work, but I don't think that will be the norm, whereas that seems to be the norm for Quest.

The use of controllers keeps costs down. 

Perhaps they are more versatile in some scenarios too. 

My experience with the Quest is that anything with batteries can be a pain and sometimes the controllers can lose sync with the unit which is an even bigger pain. 

Maybe I didn't catch it, but how does the gesture recognition work with your hands above the headset? Exercise workouts, some gaming etc. 

There seemed to be a fair bit of focus on the gesture recognition in a seated position or with hands below the unit. 

There also seems to be a lack of discussion on the precision and reliability of the gesture functionality. As the sole option I'll have to imagine it's pretty accurate but the question of false positives due to normal movement is there. 

• Reply 35 of 37
    You do realize that Fisher Price has a successful product line?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 36 of 37
    rteichman said:
    Fisher-Price does a very good business selling its “junk”, and I think their target audience would hardly call it junk.
    Two-year olds aren't a particularly discerning audience. 😜
    Two year olds don’t usually buy things themselves.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 37
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,439member
    danox said:
    Well, I feel for Mark, I really do. I mean, he knows Quest is, as a poster above put it, a Fisher-Price toy in comparison to VP, but he can't admit that. What's he supposed to say? 
    What’s worse he’s gonna have to greenlight the software department to develop for the Apple Vision, and then avoid questions about it when he talks to the press everywhere he goes…..
    I hope not those guys are horible with their power consumption. Hopefully they'll stick to web apps out of spite.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller