iMacs and Xmas

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>To all the 19" nay-sayers: guess what percentage of Dell and Compaq owners (aka consumers) have 19" screens for their desktops. </strong><hr></blockquote>

But are they 19" LCD's?

I think not.

Is there anyone here that would take a 19" CRT over the 17" wide-screen on the iMac?
  • Reply 42 of 58
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    One friend of mine said that he wanted to buy a new mac for his office an i mac or an emac. I said him to buy an imac because of his TFT screen much more confortable than a CRT especially in term of flexibility. I also said to him to wait until october, because an update may arrive soon.

The imac has never been updated, i think it's the right time :

867 mhz processor on 133 mhz bus, geforce 4mx video chip for everymodel.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    More 19in evidence from <a href="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5267"; target="_blank">The Inquirer</a>:

[quote]<strong>19-inch Big iMacs to arrive in Q4

17-inchers this month

By INQUIRER staff: Thursday 05 September 2002, 08:36

FIFTEEN INCH iMacs are apparently being phased out this month.

And 17-inch iMacs are being phased in, as we reported a while back.

But now it seems Apple will launch a 19-inch iMac in the fourth quarter, according to the Taiwanese press.

The machines will be built by Hon Hai, which is a major manufacturer also known as Foxconn and a favourite, it just so happens of the Intel Corporation.

Hon Hai will also make i-Books for Apple, according to the story in the Taiwan Economic News.

It staved off tough competition by Quanta Computer and Solectron to get the go-ahead to make the Big iMac.</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 44 of 58
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ensign Pulver:

<strong>

The eMacs and 17" iMac will be left untouched through the end of the year. Oct./Nov. will see price cuts and/or rebates on the 15" models as production is quietly halted as per the Digitimes article.

MWSF will see a major revamp of the consumer desktop lines due to falling LCD and Superdrive component costs and to coincide with the 1 year anniversary of the flat-panel iMac. 1 GHZ chips will be featured prominently as even Steve realizes selling ANY computer with a sub-Ghz chip in the year 2003 is marketplace suicide.

Combo eMac

800 Mhz/256/40/GF2MX 32

$999

Superdrive eMac

1 GHz/256/60/GF4MX 32

$1399

Combo 17" iMac

1 GHz/256/80/GF4MX 32

$1499

Superdrive 17" iMac

1 GHz/256/100/GF4MX 64

$1799

CRT iMac - discontinued

15" LCD iMac - discontinued

19" iMac - ain't gonna happen

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think this is bang on EP, save that I think we will see a 19" LCD and SJ may hang on to the iMac for sentimental reasons. Re-vamp after Christmas to boost demand in the usually quiet January period. the simple fact is that if someone wants a Mac for Christmas they will buy what is available regardless of the fact that a re-vamp will happen in January. people loose their heads at Christmas and Apple know that, it's one of the most profitable times of the year.

[ 09-21-2002: Message edited by: Addison ]</p>
  • Reply 45 of 58
    Well, here's what I think will happen in late october:

CD-RW Drive, 1,299$

15-inch LCD flat screen

800 MHz PowerPC G4

No L3

133 MHz bus/RAM

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX

256 MB SDRAM

40GB Ultra ATA hard drive

COMBO Drive, 1,499$

15-inch LCD flat screen

800 MHz PowerPC G4

No L3

133 MHz bus/RAM

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX

256MB SDRAM

60GB Ultra ATA hard drive

Apple Pro Speakers

SUPERDRIVE, 1,799$

17-inch widescreen LCD flat

867 MHz PowerPC G4

No L3

133 MHz bus/RAM

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX

256MB SDRAM

60GB Ultra ATA hard drive

Apple Pro Speakers

SUPERDRIVE, 1,999$

17-inch widescreen LCD flat

1 GHz PowerPC G4

1 MB L3

133 MHz bus/RAM

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX

256MB SDRAM

80GB Ultra ATA hard drive

Apple Pro Speakers
  • Reply 46 of 58
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Addison,

Potential 'Switchers' will not lose their heads. People who don't own macs, or have been unwilling to try them because of the woeful price to spec ratio, won't suddenly get macs because, "Hey!, it's Christmas!" Still, too-late updates are probably exactly what we'll get from Apple, and just another reason why they're slowly dwindling...
  • Reply 47 of 58
    I doubt that we will see for the moment a 19 inch LCD i mac, those screen are far too expansive more than 1500 $. The minimal prize for a I MAC like that will be nearly 3000 $.

Here's my bet :

I mac 15 inch LCD 800 mhz 133 mhz geforce 4 mx : 256 MB ram 6O GB HD and CD writer

I mac 15 inch LCD 866 mhz 133 mhz bus, geforce 4 mx , 256 mb ram, 80 GB HD , superdrive

I mac 17 inch 1 ghz 133 mhz bus geforce 4 mx, 512 MB 80 GB HD , superdrive.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    I expect...

Combo Drive: $1299

15" LCD

933MHz G4

100MHz System Bus

256MB RAM

60GB Hard Disk

Apple Pro Speakers

SuperDrive: $1499

15" LCD

933MHz G4

100MHz System Bus

256MB RAM

60GB Hard Disk

Apple Pro Speakers

17" Widescreen: $1899

17" LCD

933MHz G4

100MHz System Bus

256MB RAM

80GB Hard Disk

Apple Pro Speakers

Considering it has been nearly ONE YEAR since the iMac has received an update, I feel these specs are entirely reasonable for a consumer machine, and would assume that this is what we'd end up getting.

Given that the G4 is losing ground almost daily against Pentium 4's, it makes sense to give every model the highest processor available (being consistent will also result in Apple saving money). Though many people might want a 133MHz system bus, I don't feel Apple is ready to give that to consumers, especially since they will be using the G4 in consumer boxes for quite a while, it's assumed.

[ 09-21-2002: Message edited by: Jon Rubinstein ]</p>
  • Reply 49 of 58
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Addison,

Potential 'Switchers' will not lose their heads. People who don't own macs, or have been unwilling to try them because of the woeful price to spec ratio, won't suddenly get macs because, "Hey!, it's Christmas!" Still, too-late updates are probably exactly what we'll get from Apple, and just another reason why they're slowly dwindling...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Excuse me I was talking about people who had ALREADY DECIDED TO BUY A MAC.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    double post

[ 09-22-2002: Message edited by: Barto ]</p>
  • Reply 51 of 58
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I don't think Apple knows what the iMac will be like at MWSF (since when is the iMac updated at christmas???).

1) Will the GPUL be out? (Probably not)

2) Will LCDs be significantly cheaper? (50/50)

If 1) is true, then the fastest (1.5GHz+) G4s will be in iMacs. The G4 is cheap.

If 2) is true, goodbye 15", hello 19", 17" becomes low end. If 2) is not true, then maybe the 15" will get a GeForce 4 MX.

133MHz bus is pretty certain (with the Power Mac at 166MHz).

Barto
  • Reply 52 of 58
    Apple would be stupid to leave the iMacs stagnant over the fall and christmas season.

They released the Kihei iMacs with much success in october 1999. Apple needs a similar revision this fall. Something new and jazzy, whether it be a hardware feature, colors, or new piece of software to drive sales. They need an update and right now they are just OLD and outdated. Apple needs to address this.

Too often they drag out the life of their products and get hurt as a result. Clear inventory and update for christmas. that simple
  • Reply 53 of 58
    I think the iMac should come with different colors. Black, silver, maybe even chrome.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hear hear! Applenut is right. Why on Earth would Apple not update iMacs?

They NEED to make the iMacs 1 Ghz, simply because that's all PC users understand.

However, colors are a proven ploy too
  • Reply 55 of 58
    i decided to switch since the 17" imac came out. but i'm still waiting for a better video chip (32mb non-upgradable ram in the high-end imac is very poor...)
  • Reply 56 of 58
    [quote]

933MHz G4

100MHz System Bus<hr></blockquote>

uh......um....

do you mean 133Mhz bus?
  • Reply 57 of 58
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Considering that the Powermac line did not use anymore the 933 mhz model, and that downgrade it to 867mhz is a loss of money for Mot or Apple, i think it would be logical to see 933 mhz i mac.
  • Reply 58 of 58
    This just in at MacNN. 19" iMacs in October?

Q-Run secures orders for 17- & 19-inch iMacs.

<a href="http://news.chinatimes.com/"; target="_blank">China Times</a> has reported that Q-Run Technology has secured orders from Apple for 17- and 19-inch LCD iMac (we reported previously that Quanta would produce 17- and 19-inch iMacs in the third quarter). "Q-Run is currently on a test run for iMac, but delivery is due to begin from October... Monthly shipment is expected to exceed 10,000 iMac desktops in the initial stage [and] the PCs will be equipped with LCD panels provided by Samsung."

[ 09-27-2002: Message edited by: Ensign Pulver ]</p>