'Monarch: Legacy of Monsters' may be first 3D Apple Vision Pro show

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

Apple may be working on video content for the Apple Vision Pro, with "Monarch: Legacy of Monsters" possibly being made with the headset in mind.

[Twitter/@sigjudge]
[Twitter/@sigjudge]

The Apple Vision Pro offers users the ability to watch video content on giant virtual screens in 2D, with the potential for 3D content too. It seems that Apple is working to ensure that there's some form of 3D content available at launch, by producing one of its upcoming Apple TV+ shows for the device.

According to a Sunday tweet by Screentimes' Sigmund Judge, people familiar with the production of the unnamed "Monsterverse" show for Apple TV+ have said the series has been filmed in Apple's Spatial Video format.

Detailed in WWDC sessions, the format effectively delivers stereoscopic 3D video, which could be used by headsets and devices capable of processing such content. This can also incorporate Spatial Audio content, to make the overall video feel more immersive to the user.

In January 2022, Apple announced it had made a series order for a live-action series based on a world where Godzilla and the Titans exist, with links to a secret organization known as "Monarch." Part of Legendary's "Monsterverse" franchise, the show is apparently called "Monarch: Legacy of Monsters," Judge says.

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters coming to Apple Vision Pro.

Based on conversations this week with people familiar with its production, I can confirm that the upcoming @Monsterverse series has been shooting in Apple's Spatial Video format, unveiled earlier this week during Apple's pic.twitter.com/xfP18rvgSz

-- Sigmund Judge (@sigjudge)

It is still unknown when the show will premiere on Apple's platforms, but given the Apple Vision Pro involvement, it may do so at around the time of the headset's launch. With Apple's format allowing for 2D views to be used and not just 3D, it is probable that the show will be viewable through standard streaming methods too, such as the Apple TV.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Bro, this right here. Let’s f-ing go! If I’m standing on that ocean shallow during a torrential rainstorm while Godzilla and other monsters are doing battle all around me with the fidelity that everyone is claiming, then $3500 seems like a steal.  This looks like it will be a showpiece for sure.  
    edited June 2023 radarthekatwinstoner71BiC
  • Reply 2 of 4
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,896moderator
    CookItOff said:
    Bro, this right here. Let’s f-ing go! If I’m standing on that ocean shallow during a torrential rainstorm while Godzilla and other monsters are doing battle all around me with the fidelity that everyone is claiming, then $3500 seems like a steal.  This looks like it will be a showpiece for sure.  
    In a world where Apple has streaming competition with far more content, Apple simply creates a new [spatial] world.   Love it,  
    CookItOffwinstoner71
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    JP234 said:
    Can you imagine Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness made for VisionPro?

If you don't get motion sickness and puke into your shorts, should be lots of fun!
    Loads of movies can have environment effects. The Matrix can have the green code scrolling across the whole room or the rain with the floor turning into water.

Black and white movies can turn the environment and your hands black and white. Jurassic Park can put dinosaurs in the environment. Frozen can have snow falling. A few classic movies could get a special edition for these kind of things. It's a bit of a chicken-egg situation as the movie producers won't put up a budget if the audience isn't there so maybe Apple would have to commission these special editions.
    JP234