WWDC Feature Roundup, Apple Vision Pro, & Aqara U100 on the HomeKit Insider podcast

Posted:
in General Discussion

On the latest Homekit Insider podcast, your hosts roundup the WWDC changes, go hands on with the Aqara U100 lock, and cover more smart home news.

HomeKit Insider
HomeKit Insider

As usual, we roundup all the changes in Apple's new software post-WWDC. For HomeKit, there aren't a ton of changes this year but still a few worth mentioning.

We also take you hands-on with Aqara's new U100 smart lock that includes support for Apple Home Key and has a built-in number pad.

Finally, we take you through StandBy, a new iOS 17 feature that is smart home adjacent by turning your iPhone into a smart display. We guide you through all the ins and outs of this upcoming feature.

Links from the show

Subscribe and listen to our AppleInsider Daily podcast for the latest Apple news Monday through Friday. You can find it on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or anywhere you listen to podcasts.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too. If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member

I got the Aqara Video Doorbell G4, and had a difficult time getting it work with iCloud Secure Video, so it wasn't working outside of my Wifi network. The Aqara app kept giving cryptic errors, and those were being described by other users as an issue with 5GHz Wifi networks. Disabling my 5GHz network did not solve the issue.

Even though the G4 comes with its own "hub", you need a dedicated HomeKit hub to give outside access, and the new HomeKit architecture removed support for using iPads as a HomeKit hub. I hooked up my spare AppleTV and the problems were solved. Everything is working great.

Looking forward to getting this Aqare Smart Lock next! It's exactly what I need as my next smart device, and I'm pretty happy with Aqara so far.