Geekbench reveals M2 Ultra chip's massive performance leap in 2023 Mac Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2023

Geekbench has revealed performance statistics for the M2 Ultra chip inside the 2023 Mac Pro and it has over double the performance of the older Intel-based machine.

Geekbench shares stats for the M2 Ultra
Geekbench shares stats for the M2 Ultra

During the WWDC event on June 5, Apple introduced the New Mac Pro along with the M2 Max and M2 Ultra chips, as well as an enhanced version of the Mac Studio. While there are currently no benchmarks available for the new Mac Studio, Geekbench has recently published specifications for the 2023 Mac Pro with an M2 Ultra.

The benchmark reveals a single-core score of 2,794 and a multi-core score of 21,453 for the 2023 Mac Pro, in contrast to the highest-end Intel-based Mac Pro equipped with a 28-core Xeon W processor, which scored 1,378 in single-core and 10,390 in multi-core performance. As a result, the new Mac Pro offers more than double the speed of the fastest Intel-based model and at a significantly lower price.

As well as performance increases, the most recent Mac Pro also brings PCIe expansion to Apple Silicon. The new Mac Pro has seven PCIe expansion slots, and six support gen 4 -- meaning this two sees a doubling of speed compared to previous models.

Apple highlights this expandability of the new Mac Pro, featuring dual 10Gb Ethernet ports, two HDMI ports, and the capacity to support up to six Pro Display XDR monitors. In this case, the new Mac Pro boasts up to twice the speed of the fastest Intel-based Mac Pro and up to seven times the speed of the base configuration of the Intel-based Mac Pro.

However, the latest Mac Pro no longer offers support for graphics cards. Consequently, the PCIe slots are limited to options such as extra storage, rather than giving the ability to install and use high-performance graphics cards for gaming, rendering software, or other demanding tasks.

Read on AppleInsider

waveparticle

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    I’d love to see some write ups of sets of actual buy-able options for this machine. For instance, I do a lot of audio and video, often max-info out my current equipment. What can be actually set up to make my tasks super fast? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 31
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    This is amazing!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 31
    I would like to see a comparison where someone performs the same physics 3D simulation with a dataset larger than 192GB with a maxed out 2023 Mac Pro vs a maxed out 2019. Based on past experience I would expect the 2023 to crash once the memory usage gets close to the max.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 31
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    I would like to see a comparison where someone performs the same physics 3D simulation with a dataset larger than 192GB with a maxed out 2023 Mac Pro vs a maxed out 2019. Based on past experience I would expect the 2023 to crash once the memory usage gets close to the max.
    Maybe, maybe not. I suggest asking Apple directly to benchmark your physics 3D simulation. With Apple’s unified memory there’s the possibility of lots more memory-storage, which might be faster than the RAM in the Intel Mac Pro. If barefeats.com Rob hadn’t passed away last year I’m sure he would have been able to run the comparison. 

Another issue could be with the Intel binaries used on the old Mac Pro. I’d suggest having someone try and convert, if possible, the old binaries into Apple Silicon native code. Once this is done, find any M-series Macs and see what happens. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 31
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 112member
    Count me naive, but I'd love to know what single simulation requires an in-memory dataset that large.  Not saying they don't exist - I'm just interested in what they are.  And whether they're typically done on a desk-side machine vs. on a supercomputer (e.g. weather modeling).

In general, I think I agree with analysts/posters who think Apple lost sight of who the prime users for their Mac Pro are: video/CGI folks who use the Mac to make movies, ads, etc.  Those folks, I imagine, don't care too much about the base price of the Mac Pros they buy - they care they can get ever more photorealistic CGI done quickly.  I'm pretty sure they bought plenty of external graphics cards to go into their Pros.  But now they can't.  They either make do with what's in the new Pro - or find an alternative.
    watto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 6 of 31
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    twolf2919 said:
    Count me naive, but I'd love to know what single simulation requires an in-memory dataset that large.  Not saying they don't exist - I'm just interested in what they are.  And whether they're typically done on a desk-side machine vs. on a supercomputer (e.g. weather modeling).

In general, I think I agree with analysts/posters who think Apple lost sight of who the prime users for their Mac Pro are: video/CGI folks who use the Mac to make movies, ads, etc.  Those folks, I imagine, don't care too much about the base price of the Mac Pros they buy - they care they can get ever more photorealistic CGI done quickly.  I'm pretty sure they bought plenty of external graphics cards to go into their Pros.  But now they can't.  They either make do with what's in the new Pro - or find an alternative.
    I’ll throw a curveball into all of this. Historically, RAM has always been faster than any king of storage. Changing to SSDs sped things up a lot but Apple’s unified memory architecture turned storage access up even further. As for weather modeling being done on a “supercomputer” it depends on what your understanding of a supercomputer is. The Mac Ultra SoC is a desktop supercomputer class computing system compared to some of the best from 10-15 years ago. Weather modeling companies can’t afford the top supercomputers of today. 

As for Apple sight of what high end customers want, let’s give the MP a bit of time to see how well it works without high-power, intense-heat graphics cards. I don’t believe this version is what Apple really wanted (double Ultra SoC) so let’s see what happens in the next year. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 31

The benchmark reveals a single-core score of 2,794 and a multi-core score of 21,453 for the 2023 Mac Pro, in contrast to the highest-end Intel-based Mac Pro equipped with a 28-core Xeon W processor, which scored 1,378 in single-core and 10,390 in multi-core performance. As a result, the new Mac Pro offers more than double the speed of the fastest Intel-based model and at a significantly lower price.

I realize benchmarks are not the same as real world performance, but 2,794/21,453 vs 1,378/10,390? 

Even if real world is not twice as good, the new Mac Pro must certainly be quite a bit better.
    rob53watto_cobraspock1234
  • Reply 8 of 31
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    If buying this kind of workstation, why on earth would I be interested in a comparison with a four year old machine? I would be comparing it with what else is currently in the market to perform similar tasks.

Regardless, this machine is an expensive, crippled embarrassment, not able to do anything a Mac Studio can do at much lower cost. 

It is not the Mac Pro anyone should be looking for.
    olscanukstormmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    I want to see some real world results and comparisons of the 2019 Mac Pro versus the 2023 Mac Pro. I'd laugh this new Mac Pro with 192GB of RAM can outdo pretty much everything the $52,000 Mac Pro could with maxed out CPU, GPU and 1.5TB of RAM. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 31
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 496member
    Those are some pretty impressive numbers. I don't know about video pros but audio pros have to like it.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    twolf2919 said:
    Particle simulations need to store data per particle per frame: x, y, z position (3 x 4 bytes), lifetime (4 bytes), x, y, z scale (3 x 4 bytes), rotation (4 bytes), color (4 bytes) = 36 bytes x 1 billion particles = 36GB of simulation data per frame. If it needs to refer to the last frame for motion, 72GB. 192GB still has a lot of headroom.

3D scenes similarly need a lot of memory for textures and heavy geometry. A 4K texture is 4096 x 4096 x 4 bytes = 67MB. 1000 textures = 67GB.

There are scenarios that people can pick that would exceed any machine. A 1 trillion particle simulation here uses 30TB of data per frame (30 bytes x 1 trillion):

https://www.mendeley.com/catalogue/c72a2564-5656-343a-a098-5c592ce91433/

The solution for this is to use very fast PCIe SSD storage in RAID instead of RAM like 32TB boards x 4 at 6GB/s = 128TB of storage at 24GB/s. It's slower to use but a 1TB per frame simulation (30b particles) would take 80 seconds per frame to read/write. It's still doable, just slower and it has to write to disk anyway. Not to mention that even with 10:1 compression, that data would still need hundreds of TBs of storage.

Some types of computing tasks are better suited for server scale. For workstation visual effects, 192GB is fine and the big thing is that it's GPU memory too. Nobody else is making unified GPUs like this. The Apple execs said, there are real world scenarios where you can't even open projects on competing hardware because they run out of video memory.
    roundaboutnowMisterKitfastasleepwatto_cobraspock1234olskurai_kagewilliamlondondewme
  • Reply 12 of 31
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member

Is it possible that the M2-based architecture allows the system to handle massive workloads without the extra RAM and graphics cards previously required? Yes, the possibility exists. But people are addicted to what they know. I'm pretty confident that Apple has done their homework on this.
    MisterKittenthousandthingswatto_cobraspock1234williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 31
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

I'm sure there are many problems that have much larger data sets, but those are the reason supercomputers exist - and even then, that data is spread across a network of nodes. You can't expect a single desktop system to chew through that much data. The main benefit of having such a huge amount of RAM on desktop systems in the past was so you could keep all your applications and data in memory without needing to load and offload to a much slower hard disk. With SSD's that latency has dropped dramatically and isn't the bottleneck it used to be.
    watto_cobraspock1234williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 31
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    entropys said:
    If buying this kind of workstation, why on earth would I be interested in a comparison with a four year old machine? I would be comparing it with what else is currently in the market to perform similar tasks.

Regardless, this machine is an expensive, crippled embarrassment, not able to do anything a Mac Studio can do at much lower cost. 

You're not Apple's target here. They're trying to get users of Intel Mac Pros to upgrade. Hence, the comparison to the previous Mac Pro. Anyone interested in spending this type of money on a system would do some research - I'd hope - and know there are Intel and AMD systems that are more powerful. But that's completely useless to someone who's workflow is based around the Mac and Apple.
    MisterKitXedwatto_cobramike1williamlondonmichelb76
  • Reply 15 of 31
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 842member
    twolf2919 said:

In general, I think I agree with analysts/posters who think Apple lost sight of who the prime users for their Mac Pro are: video/CGI folks who use the Mac to make movies, ads, etc.  
    So the scenario you're suggesting is this: Apple, which of course has the data on how its Mac Pro users are using their machines, took a look at that data and said: "You know what? Screw them! Let's just eliminate what they really want." OR... is it more like this, as the first new Mac Pro was rolling off the production line: "Hey guys! I just noticed these machines don't accept video cards any longer. Anyone know if our Mac Pro users care about that? I sure hope not 'cause 'Ooopsie!'" 

I mean, really, the idea that a company like Apple "loses sight" of what users want in its highest performance product is ridiculous. What does "losing sight" even look like? How would that happen?

What's far more likely is that the price/performance ratio of the new Mac Pro is so much more compelling that it will open up the Mac Pro to a much larger user base than when it topped out at $54,000--which, accounting for inflation since 2019, would be $63,000 in 2023 dollars, as opposed to the $12,400 max for the new machine that's benchmarking at doublle the speed. That's double the speed at an EIGHTY percent discount. I'll be curious to see what the graphics performance is like in real world testiing of actual tasks, not just benchmarking. 

edited June 2023 roundaboutnowMisterKitwatto_cobramike1spock12349secondkox2kurai_kagewilliamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 31
    sloaahsloaah Posts: 24member
    What's far more likely is that the price/performance ratio of the new Mac Pro is so much more compelling that it will open up the Mac Pro to a much larger user base than when it topped out at $54,000

No that's not the case. The larger user base is covered by the Mac Studio; the Mac Pro serves a niche crowd still.

It's pretty clear what's happened. Mac Pro users are traditionally more from the creative industries, where Apple has historically a strong foothold. There are a few different categories of use cases that benefitted from the Mac Pro including (but not limited to):
    1. 3D/VFX
    2. 2D/compositing
    3. Video post-production
    4. Sound/music professionals
    Those in (1) Apple lost a while ago, when they switched from Nvidia, since much of the software was CUDA driven. They've been trying to build support for Metal but it's super limited even now, although following M1 they had a little success.

Those in (2)-(4) generally don't need massive compute performance, and instead benefit significantly from the Apple silicon's SoC approach. Some in (3) and many in (4) need PCI-E expansion slots for hardware input/output of industry niche ports (e.g. SDI for some video post users like colourists). The Mac Pro is really for them... it doesn't really offer any benefit over the Mac Studio except for these sorts of users.

For those users in (1) and for some in (2) who do need massive computer performance... Apple has just decided that it's easier to drop those markets, at least for the time being. Besides, as mentioned, Apple lost those markets a while ago; and regaining them takes time. Even if they came out with SoCs that had GPUs on par with the best GPUs that Nvidia has to offer, the simple fact that all this software is optimised for CUDA and either not compatible or still very new on Metal means that they would still struggle to get a foothold.

3D/VFX people have been keeping an eye out on Apple since Apple Silicon came about, so it's a bit of a shame that Apple didn't have a standout product suitable for them; because if they wanted to regain those users, the launch of a powerful Mac Pro would have been that moment in time. As it is, M2 Ultra – even if it's powerful – is a far cry from their needs, falling massively short in GPU compute and in available RAM capacity.
    watto_cobraolscanukstormmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonmichelb76
  • Reply 17 of 31
    XedXed Posts: 2,572member
    entropys said:

Why do you keep asking this stupid fucking question despite being given multiple salient replies? Get a fucking clue.
    edited June 2023 mike1spock12349secondkox2Fidonet127williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 31
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    mjtomlin said:
    entropys said:

You're not Apple's target here. They're trying to get users of Intel Mac Pros to upgrade. Hence, the comparison to the previous Mac Pro. Anyone interested in spending this type of money on a system would do some research - I'd hope - and know there are Intel and AMD systems that are more powerful. But that's completely useless to someone who's workflow is based around the Mac and Apple.

I'm not familiar with 3D modeling processing, but based on computer architectural precedents I'd tend to agree with Mjtomlin on this one regarding Apple's virtual memory system being available to work with data sets that far exceed the onboard RAM by paging to writable storage media, e.g., SSDs and hard disks. Performance will certainly degrade, but it should still be possible.

The previous statement by entropys: "It is not the Mac Pro anyone should be looking for" is logically nonsensical. Even if you conducted a statistically valid sample size of people who are looking for Mac Pro computers, it would be highly unlikely to achieve a result of zero. You may not like it, but I'd bet that there would be at least one potential buyer who does like it.

Every product, service, or system designed by humans has an intended purpose. Everything built from such purposeful designs has a whole range of limitations, including but not limited to, operational, capacity, performance, duty cycle, service life, acquisition cost, total cost of ownership, form factor, etc., limitations. Buyers of these products, services, and systems are responsible for making sure whatever they purchase meets their needs prior to purchase and/or within a certain evaluation period.  

For example, if a potential customer needs a 200 kW generator and buys a 150 kW generator that doesn't meet his/hers needs, is this the fault of the seller or the buyer? If the 200 kW generator is discontinued and replaced by a 150 kW model, is it valid to state that the 150 kW generators serve no purpose and nobody at all should be looking at them? What about buyers who need a 150 kW or lower power generator?

The bottom line is that the Apple Silicon Mac Pro may not be a drop-in replacement for every use case that is achievable on the Intel Mac Pro. But it is undoubtedly a very powerful computer in its own right, far exceeding the performance of its predecessor within the scope of use cases the new Apple Silicon Mac Pro supports amazingly well. The M2 Ultra Mac Studio is also a very powerful machine. There is obviously some overlap between these two products just as there is some overlap between the M1 Mac Studio and the M2 Mac mini. Having expansion slots on the Mac Pro will delight those buyers who need that additional capability.

I think it's a very good thing for Mac buyers to have more high quality choices. I'm not going to rag on models that don't fit my needs. They probably fit other people's needs. I'll buy what I need from the available choices and enjoy the precious few months or years before my brand new Mac becomes the previous version or last-years great thing that's been replaced by this-years better thing. 

Finally, if none of the current Macs fit a Mac shoppers needs, go buy or build a Windows PC or a Linux PC. It's much better for everyone involved for those who can't find what they need from Apple to go buy a non-Apple PC that keeps them happy rather than buying a Mac that doesn't meet their needs and constantly lamenting the fact that Apple can't make everyone happy. For some folks, it's time to accept the fact that "dude, you're getting a Dell." We forgive you.
    roundaboutnowMisterKit9secondkox2watto_cobrabeowulfschmidtkurai_kage
  • Reply 19 of 31
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    Can we stop comparing a brand new SOC to a computer from 2019? It’s ancient history already. Heck, compare Intels own 2023 processors to those from 2019 if you want to see a massive leap. 

Of course there’s a massive leap. It would be an epic fail if not. 

The real story is:

is it a massive leap over the Mac Studio? 
    The answer is obviously not. 

Is it a massive leap over last years Mac Studio? Not really. But it is faster. 

Is it a massive leap over current top Intel processors? Nope. 

Unfortunately, the Mac Pro, once the pinnacle of computing is just a Mac Studio now in a bigger case with some extra I/O possibilities. 

Hopefully it’s just out there to finish the transition and the real offering comes along next year. 

What a bummer. 
    entropysmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 31
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    Xed said:
    entropys said:

Why do you keep asking this stupid fucking question despite being given multiple salient replies? Get a fucking clue.
    Hee asking because it’s the most logical question to ask. It’s not that Apple meant to downgrade the Mac Pro yo Mac Studio status. It’s that they weren’t willing to do better at this time. At least it looks like the SOC can be upgraded down the line. We’ll see. 

So stop cussing at people with legit criticisms/questions. It IS really lame to compare a computer to one from FOUR freaking years ago just yo try to m  as Jr the new one look better than it is. 

He’s got a point. 
    entropysmuthuk_vanalingam