Apple TV+ renews hit 'Silo' for a second season

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

Ahead of its first season finale, Apple TV+ has announced that critically-acclaimed drama "Silo" will now return for a second run.

Image Credit: Apple
Image Credit: Apple

The post-apocalyptic drama has been highly praised by critics, and viewers including Stephen King.

"It has been enormously fulfilling to see the engrossing, atmospheric and beautifully crafted sci-fi epic 'Silo' quickly become Apple's number one drama series," said Matt Cherniss, head of programming for Apple TV+. "As audiences around the world have become gripped by the mysteries and conspiracies buried within this fascinating subterranean world, viewership only continues to climb, and we are so excited for more secrets of the silo to be revealed in season two."

"Silo," based on Hugh Howey's novels, was created for television by "Justified" creator Graham Yost.

"We cannot wait for audiences around the world to immerse themselves in the epic world we have created to bring Hugh Howey's novels to life," Yost said of the second season renewal. "Apple has believed in our vision from day one and it's an honor to have the opportunity to dig deeper into this story and peel back the layers to our characters in the silo."

Rebecca Ferguson stars in "Silo," and executive produces alongside Yost and Howey, as an engineer trying to learn who built the mile-deep structure everyone lives in.

The first season of "Silo" is streaming with new episodes each Friday until June 30, 2023.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    I think Rebecca Ferguson is just fine for the role.  I wouldn't want Queen Latifah in that role.  I'm not a fan of her in Equalizer either.  I couldn't get past more than a couple of episodes before I stopped watching.  I was hoping it would be good.  I really enjoyed the Original series.  Gina Carano could have worked, but it's just way too late now to change the lead.  Rebecca Ferguson isn't a threat which is why he was almost killed being thrown over the stairs and almost fell.  Held on for dear life before getting help.
    edited June 2023 kiltedgreenlolliver
  • Reply 2 of 20
    JP234 said:
    Love the show. But really not sold on Rebecca Ferguson as the star. She's the wrong actress for the role. She attempts to compensate for her petite and frail physical appearance with combative overacting in exchanges, and is in no way threatening to anyone. I'd like to see a more imposing and authoritative figure in the role, someone like Queen Latifah, for instance. Her talent is wasted on that stupid "Equalizer" show. Or maybe Gina Carano!
    If nothing else you are remarkably consistent with your sexism. 
    JP234FileMakerFellerXedlolliverwatto_cobrabageljoey
  • Reply 3 of 20
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    Good. This and Drops of God are the best new shows that Apple has put out since last summer. Sci-fi is emerging as a strength on TV+. Now, where is S2 of Invasion?
    hcrefugeeFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    JP234 said:
    Love the show. But really not sold on Rebecca Ferguson as the star. She's the wrong actress for the role. She attempts to compensate for her petite and frail physical appearance with combative overacting in exchanges, and is in no way threatening to anyone. I'd like to see a more imposing and authoritative figure in the role, someone like Queen Latifah, for instance. Her talent is wasted on that stupid "Equalizer" show. Or maybe Gina Carano!
    Lol. She’s an actor. Playing a role. Written by somebody else. She played an entirely different character in the Mission Impossible movies. So…It’s not really her, it’s the way her character is written that should you should be bitching about. And from that perspective, it wouldn’t matter who played the lead. 

Incidentally, I think she’s great here. 
    edited June 2023 FileMakerFellerthtwatto_cobrabageljoey
  • Reply 5 of 20
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    JP234 said:
    I had no problem with Rebecca Ferguson in recent Mission Impossible films, so why would I be concerned about her in "Silo"? 

Certainly not a Gina Carano!

edited June 2023 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:
    Sexism? Both my suggestions are female, last I checked. In my milieu, neither petite nor frail are pejorative. Just not suitable for an action series.
    Frail definitely has a perjorative sense, and is not a word I'd readily associate with Rebecca Ferguson.

tmayJP234lolliverwatto_cobraunbeliever2
  • Reply 7 of 20
    JP234 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:
    Sexism? Both my suggestions are female, last I checked. In my milieu, neither petite nor frail are pejorative. Just not suitable for an action series.
    Frail definitely has a perjorative sense, and is not a word I'd readily associate with Rebecca Ferguson.

Maybe it does ring pejorative to some sensitive (is that pejorative?) individuals (not me), point conceded. But use a photo as she appears in Silo, where she looks sunken-cheeked, hollow-eyed and anorexic, not Mission Impossible, where she temporarily added the wee bit of muscle tone you see here!

Now I'm leaning toward replacing her with Jason Momoa or Michael B. Jordan!
    Gee, you think that the producers, of which Rebecca was one, didn't dress Rebecca to reflect Juliette's life in the Silo?

Somehow, I got the impression that life was harsh in the Silo, but maybe you would like to see it more like Season Two of "White Lotus", where Jennifer Coolidge was the badass action figure?
    edited June 2023 JP234lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    XedXed Posts: 2,822member
    Wonderful news. Ferguson is just as engaging in this disposition story as she was when I first saw her in the last couple MI films.

The spoiler markup isn't working for me so don't read the next paragraph if you aren't caught up with the series....

I do hope she stays on the series. Why wouldn't they? Well, we've already seen that they've removed several well known actors from the show and didn't even introduce Ferguson for several episodes into the series.
    edited June 2023 JP234lolliverwatto_cobratht
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Xed said:
    Wonderful news. Ferguson is just as engaging in this disposition story as she was when I first saw her in the last couple MI films.

The spoiler markup isn't working for me so don't read the next paragraph if you aren't caught up with the series....

I do hope she stays on the series. Why wouldn't they? Well, we've already seen that they've removed several well known actors from the show and didn't even introduce Ferguson for several episodes into the series.
    Ferguson is an Executive Producer on 9 of the 10 episodes, per IMDB, so I expect that she will be there for at least the next season.
    JP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    JP234 said:
    tmay said:
    JP234 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:

Maybe it does ring pejorative to some sensitive (is that pejorative?) individuals (not me), point conceded. But use a photo as she appears in Silo, where she looks sunken-cheeked, hollow-eyed and anorexic, not Mission Impossible, where she temporarily added the wee bit of muscle tone you see here!

Gee, you think that the producers, of which Rebecca was one, didn't dress Rebecca to reflect Juliette's life in the Silo?

Somehow, I got the impression that life was harsh in the Silo, but maybe you would like to see it more like Season Two of "White Lotus", where Jennifer Coolidge was the badass action figure?
    Nope. I want to see more of a different female Apple star: Hannah Waddingham! That's a person with everything. She's talented, smart, classy and if you're still not convinced life isn't fair, she sings like Aretha Franklin, and is physically stunning. Basically everything I lack!
    Definitely lack class.  Absolutely no one is asking for your opinion on the attributes of women.
    tmayXedJapheybageljoey
  • Reply 11 of 20
    JP234 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JP234 said:
    tmay said:
    JP234 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:

Nope. I want to see more of a different female Apple star: Hannah Waddingham! That's a person with everything. She's talented, smart, classy and if you're still not convinced life isn't fair, she sings like Aretha Franklin, and is physically stunning. Basically everything I lack!
    Definitely lack class.  Absolutely no one is asking for your opinion on the attributes of women.
    Likewise, I don't recall asking you for your opinion on anything.
    Yes you are.  Every post you make here is begging for attention.  Would probably make more sense to not give it to you.  Now there's an idea.
    tmayJapheywatto_cobrabageljoey
  • Reply 12 of 20
    JP234 said:
    tmay said:
    JP234 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:

BTW, I've never seen White Lotus. Not my kind of show. I like it when stuff gets blowed up real good! Can't wait to see that new movie "Oppenheimer." Can't beat nukes for blowing up stuff real, real good!
    Good thing you didn't do the casting for "Silo".

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/silo

With deft writing, awe-inspiring production design and the inestimable star power of Rebecca Ferguson, Silo is a mystery box well worth opening.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    JP234 said:
    tmay said:
    JP234 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:

BTW, I've never seen White Lotus. Not my kind of show. I like it when stuff gets blowed up real good! Can't wait to see that new movie "Oppenheimer." Can't beat nukes for blowing up stuff real, real good!
    W
    T
    F
    ?
    XedStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    JP234 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JP234 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JP234 said:
    tmay said:
    JP234 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:

Likewise, I don't recall asking you for your opinion on anything.
    Yes you are.  Every post you make here is begging for attention.  Would probably make more sense to not give it to you.  Now there's an idea.
    But that would mean I get the last word, don't it! And I bet you can't let that happen!
    Nice one!  Make sure everybody knows who the mature adult in the room is. Inspirational, truly. 
    edited June 2023 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,055member
    I want to like Silo, but several episodes in and…it’s pretty boring. High production values on the sets, but everybody seems so dull. 

Drop of God, however, has amazing character development and drama.
    JP234
  • Reply 16 of 20
    I want to like Silo, but several episodes in and…it’s pretty boring. High production values on the sets, but everybody seems so dull. 
    I agree.  Will check out a few more episodes in case it pulls a rabbit out, but initial impressions are pretty bog standard dystopia.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I’m loving Silo, but hating having to wait for more episodes. Usually, I try to not start a season until the finalé has aired. That way I can binge at my own speed.

however I never know how long a season is beforehand, so can’t gauge when to start near the last episode airing. Is there an easy way of finding out how my episodes there are in a season before the finalé airs?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20
    I’m loving Silo, but hating having to wait for more episodes. Usually, I try to not start a season until the finalé has aired. That way I can binge at my own speed.

however I never know how long a season is beforehand, so can’t gauge when to start near the last episode airing. Is there an easy way of finding out how my episodes there are in a season before the finalé airs?
    Download the imdb app. 
    edited June 2023 tmaywatto_cobraappleinsideruser
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Japhey said:

Download the imdb app. 
    Nice. Thank you
    Odd that it says there are 11 episodes; 10 in the first season and episode 1 in season 2 (due today)! Garbage in. Garbage out.