Apple wants to make an Apple Watch screen that wraps all the way around the wrist

Posted:
in Apple Watch

In the future, an Apple Watch screen could completely wrap the wearer's wrist, and information could be shown all the way around.

More than displaying information on a band, the whole Watch could be a wraparound strap
More than displaying information on a band, the whole Watch could be a wraparound strap

Apple has already been researching ways to make Apple Watch bands more useful, such as having the Watch change faces depending on which strap is in use. One newly-revealed possibility, though, is that whole Watch could become a band, and the whole band can be a screen.

"In this manner, the display area of the smartwatch is not limited to a rigid watch face area," says the newly-granted patent named "Display Module And System Applications."

"[For example,] a smartwatch includes a flexible display panel that is integrated into a flexible watch band," it continues. "In this manner, the display area of the flexible display panel can cover more available space on the watch face area and band of the smartwatch."

Apple also notes that such a device would mean that, "both the watch face area and band may be adjusted to conform to the wrist size of the user."

So everybody wins, if Apple can do it. In 28 pages -- and almost 10,000 words -- the patent proposes an LED display with "driver circuits... on the back surface.]"

Detail from the patent showing one continuous screen across the band and the regular Apple Watch display area
Detail from the patent showing one continuous screen across the band and the regular Apple Watch display area

This idea of a wraparound Apple Watch screen band is the one Apple keeps focusing on in the patent. But it's not the only one.

In an almost throwaway line, Apple points out that such a flexible display must have other uses. "Exemplary system applications include wearable, rollable, and foldable displays," it says.

Apple has previously been revealed to have researched rollable iPhones.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    This is one of those "Gee.... it would be nice if we could do this...." moments, but reality has a way of scrapping such plans.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    This is one of those "Gee.... it would be nice if we could do this...." moments, but reality has a way of scrapping such plans.
    Unless you are Elon Musk. Until the very moment it happened, most said that landing and reusing a rocket booster was simply not possible. SpaceX has now done it over 200 consecutive times. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 10
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    These rumors of a wrap around band display aren’t new. They’ve been floating around for almost as long as the Apple Watch has existed. Anybody remember the snap-band patent?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I know I'm dating myself, but does anyone remember the Apple TimeBand made by Frog Design in 1991 (running System 7)? Love the little yellow track ball!
    edited June 2023 JaiOh81williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 10
    What I have always desired is for Apple to develop tech that used the watchband "real estate" to include:

1) I/O technologies (so I can, by example, not twist my arm in contorted fashion to swipe a turnstile or a payment terminal.  But the I/O on the bottom side of the wristband (by the latch);

2) Embed energy storage (i.e., battery) in the watchband.  That would reduce the thickness of the watch itself (or allow for more real estate to shove in other technology) and/or extend the life between charges
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    toganltoganl Posts: 8member
    I’d still like to see a straps for this and a straps for that category. Some connection between the watch and the strap to see what can be done before a screen that covers most my wrist. 

• Reply 7 of 10
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 621member
    They don't "want" this, they just filed a patent, that's all.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Unless you are Elon Musk. Until the very moment it happened, most said that landing and reusing a rocket booster was simply not possible. SpaceX has now done it over 200 consecutive times. 
    Elon Musk did nothing but throw money around and bully the people who actually figured this shit out.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 621member
    Elon Musk did nothing but throw money around and bully the people who actually figured this shit out.
    How is that different from Steve Jobs?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 10
    michelb76 said:
    How is that different from Steve Jobs?
    Seriously? That's your reply? You're always so fucking negative and contradictory, but equating Steve Jobs with Elon Musk is the most ignorant comment I've seen of yours. And it's a great "whataboutism" logical fallacy, congrats.
    edited June 2023