Apps Apple Sherlocked at WWDC23 in iOS 17 and macOS Sonoma

Posted:
in General Discussion

At Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, the company debuted an entire new run of operating systems as it always does, but still managed to 'Sherlock' a few good things along the way, too. Here are some notable titles.

Sherlocked apps at WWDC23
Sherlocked apps at WWDC23

The Apple community has been pointing out all sorts of features Apple has "Sherlocked" over the years, dating as far back as the release of Mac OS 8. Nowadays it's a means to point out the features or apps Apple builds that directly compete with a third-party alternative.

In most of these cases, the third-party option has been around for a while, and is usually a fan favorite in its specific category.

A little history first: Apple introduced a feature called Sherlock with the launch of Mac OS 8, which extended file search in Finder. The feature would see many iterations over the years, until it would be replaced by Apple's Spotlight in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Before that, a company named Karelia Software launched an app called Watson, which grew in popularity rather quickly. It had built-in internet functionality and expanded upon Apple's built-in search tool.

With the launch of Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar, Apple's third version of Sherlock introduced many of the features Watson boasted. While the features were the same, the primary difference was Apple's app was free, while Watson cost $30.

So, Watson was Sherlocked. And from that point on, it's been a bit of a point to call out Apple for the apps and features it Sherlocks with each new software release, with WWDC23 being no different.

And this year has plenty of examples.

Journaling and mood tracking

In iOS 17, Apple is introducing not only a built-in journaling app, but also a quick and easy way to log your mood on a daily basis.

Mood tracking in iOS 17
Mood tracking in iOS 17

With mood logging, users can choose a mood for the whole day, or narrow it down to an individual time of day. They will also be able to choose specific emotions, and the factors that might alter them. After enough usage, the Health app will show each user specific insights.

Apple Sherlocked a couple of noteworthy apps: Moodnotes and Daylio.

The built-in journaling app in iOS 17 and macOS Sonoma will launch later in 2023. It will feature personalized suggestions based on a variety of different factors, including photos, music, a user's location, and much more.

Interestingly, in this case, Apple is opening up the suggestions via API access for third-party apps, which means the apps Apple is technically Sherlocking can actually benefit from the APIs Apple is using for its first-party option.

Apple Sherlocked Day One and others with this app.

Contact sharing

This one's more of a special shout out, because the app Apple Sherlocked with a new feature called NameDrop isn't actually available anymore. However, this particular feature is certainly reminiscent of it.

Contact sharing with NameDrop in iOS 17
Contact sharing with NameDrop in iOS 17

NameDrop taps the usefulness of AirDrop to make it easier than ever before to quickly share contact information by simply bringing two iPhones running iOS 17 close together.

Pour one out for the memory of Bump, the Sherlocked app.

Put a sticker on it

With the launch of iOS 16, Apple introduced the ability to lift a subject out of an image or video. That feature led developers to turn those captured subjects into individual pictures.

Stickers in iOS 17
Stickers in iOS 17

Now, Apple's bringing that feature right into iOS 17, letting users quickly make a sticker out of almost anything, and then apply that sticker in all sorts of apps, including Messages.

Apple Sherlocked Sticker.ly and Sticker Drop for this one.

Widgets all the time

Apple launched widgets with iOS 16, and now they are evolving to be even more helpful in iOS 17 and macOS Sonoma. With the mobile operating system, Apple is finally making widgets interactive.

Widgets on the desktop in macOS Sonoma
Widgets on the desktop in macOS Sonoma

For that latter, widgets used to only be present in the sidebar, but that will change with the upcoming update. With macOS Sonoma, users will be able to place widgets all over their desktop.

Widgetsmith, Widgetwall, Wdgts 2 all get the Sherlocking treatment.

Presentation upgrades

Apple is building a new presenter overlay into macOS Sonoma, making it even easier to not only share your screen, but also keep you present in the conversation in a more natural way. This feature also supports real-time reactions from viewers, and can share on a per-app basis as well.

Presenter overlay in macOS Sonoma
Presenter overlay in macOS Sonoma

Third-party alternatives like Loom were Sherlocked in this case.

Get out, smell the roses

Apple introduced a couple of different features for its users that make getting out into nature a little easier, especially if you prefer first-party options. They are present in both Apple Maps, iOS 17, watchOS 10.

Offline Apple Maps
Offline Apple Maps

For the Apple Watch, Apple is introducing new topographical maps, new waypoints, altimeter, and new elevation view. On top of that, the Compass app can show waypoints for campsites, cellular towers, and where you can make an SOS calls.

Topographical map in watchOS 10
Topographical map in watchOS 10

Apple is Sherlocking an app called Topo.

Apple Maps is gaining support for offline map downloads, and adding a plethora of trail information all across the United States. This Sherlocks the popular app and service AllTrails.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    lam92103lam92103 Posts: 139member
    TBF the widget thing used to long be a part of macOS. This just brings the new widgets to feature parity with the old widget system
    lotonesOferwatto_cobraAlex_Vforgot usernameAlex1Nbyronlnrg2
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Sherlocking is a bit of a fallacy. I've never even heard of some of these apps, but I will now use the built-in functionality. TBH, many apps today are non-starters for me due to their exorbitant subscription fees. $4.99 for an app = 😄. $4.99/month forever for the same exact app with barely any updated functionality = 😤.
    Oferwatto_cobrafreeassociate2wonkothesaneAlex1Njeffharrisbyronlnrg2FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Could we maybe stop perpetuating effing this b.s.?

I mean an app that doesn’t exist anymore? That's how far you need to reach for an example?

Topogrophy? Really? Have you even used AllTrails, do you really think that’s its core functionality?  Did AllTrails Sherlock map makers?

For every one of these examples, there’s something else that either has already used the ideas previously in a different form OR is a feature of another app or operating system. Stop acting like using ideas is theft. 

I mean, are we going to say Apple “sherlock’d” the phone industry because it took preexisting ideas and came out with a phone that competed with some of its partners (at the time)? How far back do we go with this? 

Sometimes it's pretty clear AI is... let’s put it politely... repurposing content first reported elsewhere, and not always with attribution. Are you sherlocking those original sources? Or just adding your take on ideas being widely discussed? (And not at all interfering with someone else’s ad revenue. Or making their paywall superfluous.)

If we want to read anti-Apple slop, there’s still plenty of PC sites (and people) who will offer up an ample supply.

Do better.
    edited June 2023 wonkothesaneforgot usernameAlex1NHrebbyronl
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 556member
    One of the apps Apple Sherlocked named above (Sticker Drop) is a really great app and deserves this recognition. It even has an iMessage app to make dropping stickers easy. I suggest you check it out. Best of all, it’s free
    Alex1Nbyronl
  • Reply 5 of 13
    XedXed Posts: 2,691member

I mean an app that doesn’t exist anymore? That's how far you need to reach for an example?

Topogrophy? Really? Have you even used AllTrails, do you really think that’s its core functionality?  Did AllTrails Sherlock map makers?

For every one of these examples, there’s something else that either has already used the ideas previously in a different form OR is a feature of another app or operating system. Stop acting like using ideas is theft. 

I mean, are we going to say Apple “sherlock’d” the phone industry because it took preexisting ideas and came out with a phone that competed with some of its partners (at the time)? How far back do we go with this? 

Sometimes it's pretty clear AI is... let’s put it politely... repurposing content first reported elsewhere, and not always with attribution. Are you sherlocking those original sources? Or just adding your take on ideas being widely discussed? (And not at all interfering with someone else’s ad revenue. Or making their paywall superfluous.)

If we want to read anti-Apple slop, there’s still plenty of PC sites (and people) who will offer up an ample supply.

Do better.
    There's nothing wrong with the article. Regarding AllTrails, during the keynote for iOS I specifically thought to myself if I'll ever have to purchase AllTrails again for offline topography and trail maps. If I don't, how is that not Sherlocking the app since I won't need AllTrails for its core functionality any longer?

You also say, "for every one of these examples, there’s something else that either has already used the ideas previously..." So what? Another app or service using an idea doesn't mean it and others can't lose marketshare because Apple has decided to add that functionality into their OS. In fact, it's the definition of Sherlocking.

No, you wouldn't say Apple Sherlocked the phone industry because that makes no sense. They are not the killing the phone industry as the phone industry is not a 3rd-party app or service that has grown out of void in Apple's ecosystem that Apple is now filling internally, like they did with Sherlock. The iPhone is simply a paradigm change to the smartphone market.

You also asked, "did AllTrals Sherlock map makers?" which tells me you really don't have a grasp of what this term means for Apple developers. Karelia Software has had it done twice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_(software)#Sherlocked_as_a_term
    edited June 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Xed said:

Do better.
    There's nothing wrong with the article. Regarding AllTrails, during the keynote for iOS I specifically thought to myself if I'll ever have to purchase AllTrails again for offline topography and trail maps. If I don't, how is that not Sherlocking the app since I won't need AllTrails for its core functionality any longer?

You also say, "for every one of these examples, there’s something else that either has already used the ideas previously..." So what? Another app or service using an idea doesn't mean it and others can't lose marketshare because Apple has decided to add that functionality into their OS. In fact, it's the definition of Sherlocking.

No, you wouldn't say Apple Sherlocked the phone industry because that makes no sense. They are not the killing the phone industry as the phone industry is not a 3rd-party app or service that has grown out of void in Apple's ecosystem that Apple is now filling internally, like they did with Sherlock. The iPhone is simply a paradigm change to the smartphone market.

You also asked, "did AllTrals Sherlock map makers?" which tells me you really don't have a grasp of what this term means for Apple developers. Karelia Software has had it done twice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_(software)#Sherlocked_as_a_term
    No I understood it quite well. You didn’t. Each iteration of an idea or form supplants what came earlier, i.e. “taking market share”. It's called competition. Upstarts dethrone market leaders, and market leaders seek to maintain their lead. (IBM/MS tried to kill off Apple’s graphical interface head start, and in turn PC cloners killed off IBM’s lock on x86 computing. Your logic would have us living in a world where only Apple has a GUI and only IBM makes BIOS compatible x86 machines.)

Apple isn’t “killing” the market for trail apps. It’s adding functionality and competing. AllTrails has plenty of other functions, and ample opportunity to compete. If they substantially impact the market share of paper maps (or competitor’s apps), by your definition they’ve supplanted or obviated the features of another product.

You do understand that you live in an economic model where this type of logical enhancement not only happens all the time, but is encouraged, right? Particularly in disintermediation. No one at Apple is sitting down and saying to themselves “who can I bankrupt today”? You ascribe malicious motivation where there is none.

Karelia could have easily improved Watson into something like Alfred or Quicksilver. Both of which seem to have no trouble competing with Apple’s search or launcher. Instead, Dan Wood sold the tech to Sun. Karelia wasn’t driven out of business. It’s languished because it has sub-par products. (Site specific browsers weren't even a novel concept at the time. You sure didn’t bother reading the whole Wikipedia entry along with supporting material — just cherry-picked supporting opinions.)

As for the phone situation, I think Nokia, RIM, and Windows phone would beg to differ.

I think you said it best here with “Apple’s eco-system”. If you were to compare the amount of apps and services that Apple has enabled by building out technology that fills a void, or they have fostered through cooperation, to the amount allegedly driven out of business due to Apple’s actions (and solely their actions, not ineptness or changing markets), it would be a rounding error.

So the article is fundamentally flawed in hyping up the odds that big bad Apple might come steal your lunch.

It seems fashionable these days to flog issues that are statistical non-issues, but carry emotional weight and get people in a tizzy. It’s shitty journalism and fear-mongering.

“Sherlocking” is a buzzword perpetuated by lazy, self-entitled devs, businesses (who’d do the same thing to a competitor in a heart beat), and sloppy thinkers that regurgitate misplaced outrage that supports calcified preconceptions and bias. You see the same dynamic in Epic’s hypocritical and self-serving arguments over payment options.

But like all boogeyman, i’m sure the term will live on, helped along by propaganda like this article and your comments.

Think different, buddy. Think different.

PS - The fact that the author has to spend the first few paragraphs explicating the terms and the rationale behind the article is damning in and of itself. It’s actively arguing for both the concept and its continued extension into unrelated cases.
    edited June 2023 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 13
    HrebHreb Posts: 85member
    I was just using AllTrails for the first time this past weekend.  They have a huge amount of data and the app manages it remarkably well.  Hikers love it.  Apple's interest in this space will not displace AllTrails... soon.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Aerial screen saver https://aerialscreensaver.github.io/

Displays Apple TV screensavers on your Mac for free. Happily used it for years. Beautiful. 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    DoctorQDoctorQ Posts: 52member
    One of the first freeware apps for the Mac put a clock in the menu bar. Apple ended up including it in the OS and paid the author, if I recall correctly.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    AppleInsider has become such a clickbait factory. Y’all make Buzzfeed look like amateurs. 
    MplsP
  • Reply 11 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,966member
    So when will Apple get around to Sherlocking password apps? Apple has their keychain app but it has an interface that would make Bill Gates proud and hasn’t really been touched in years. They finally added some capabilities in iOS but it’s even less useful there than it is on a Mac. 

I used 1Password for years (I actually started when Apple removed passwords from MobileMe.) It’s been getting progressively worse with each ‘update’ so I switched to BitWarden but I’m not totally thrilled with that, either. If Apple would spend a modicum of effort on their password manager they could easily make the others obsolete. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 13
    XedXed Posts: 2,691member
    MplsP said:
    So when will Apple get around to Sherlocking password apps? Apple has their keychain app but it has an interface that would make Bill Gates proud and hasn’t really been touched in years. They finally added some capabilities in iOS but it’s even less useful there than it is on a Mac. 

I used 1Password for years (I actually started when Apple removed passwords from MobileMe.) It’s been getting progressively worse with each ‘update’ so I switched to BitWarden but I’m not totally thrilled with that, either. If Apple would spend a modicum of effort on their password manager they could easily make the others obsolete. 
    I'm still on 1Password v7 because v8 lost a lot of features, but I'm happy with 1Password overall. The $1 a month per person for being able to share passwords with others in my family is convenient and I don't worry about security since it's requires a URL for the vault, an email, a very long password, and the secure key.

• Reply 13 of 13
    Bel.AirBel.Air Posts: 3member
    MplsP said:

I've only ever used Apple's keychain and find it great. Works seamlessly from iPhone to mac and vice versa, and I now have strong passwords on every site. I don't remember a single one of them, but they still work and pre-fill consistently almost anywhere. What's not to like? Oh and it works with most iOS apps too, with sometimes just a few more taps needed compared to Safari (this is in specific scenarios, like having multiple accounts on a service). The interface is fine as there's really nothing much to fiddle with in there (that isn't already possible).