Apple wants to control every image of an apple, says Swiss fruit firm

Posted:
in General Discussion

Fruit Union Suisse says Apple is not just contesting its trademark apple logo, it wants to get exclusive rights to all depictions of actual apples.

Left: Apple's logo. Right: Fruit Union Suisse's current logo
Left: Apple's logo. Right: Fruit Union Suisse's current logo

Apple has been here before, and it will be again -- as a trademark owner, it is required to contest all challenges to its famous mark. That's easy to see in the case of any deliberate infringement, but less so with coincidental or even hard-to-spot similarities between logos.

Now according to Wired, Apple is continuing a six-year fight against Fruit Union Suisse, an association that has been promoting the interests of Swiss fruit growers for over 100 years. Fruit Union Suisse director Jimmy Mariethoz says that, for at least the majority of that time, it has used a logo of a red apple with a white cross on it.

"We have a hard time understanding this [case with Apple], because it's not like they're trying to protect their bitten apple," said Mariethoz. "Their objective here is really to own the rights to an actual apple, which, for us, is something that is really almost universal... that should be free for everyone to use."

"We're concerned that any visual representation of an apple -- so anything that's audiovisual or linked to new technologies or to media -- could be potentially impacted," continued Mariethoz. "Theoretically, we could be entering slippery territory everytime we advertise with an apple."

Fruit Union Suisse's logo up to 2011
Fruit Union Suisse's logo up to 2011

While it's true that the association has long used a logo of a red apple with a white cross, the company revised it in 2011 to celebrate the group's 100th year. It's arguable whether the current logo resembles Apple's enough that consumers could be confused, but it is considerably more like Apple's than the pre-2017 one.

In 2017, Apple applied to the Swiss Institute of Intellectual Property (IPI) asking for the rights to what Wired describes as a realistic black-and-white depiction of a Granny Smith apple. Note that Fruit Union Suisse appears to exclusively use a red logo, but it's possible that it may use it in documentation done with only two-color printing, rendering it black and whote.

The 2017 IP application had to specify usage, and Apple submitted an extensive list centered on digital and electronic consumer goods.

The IPI reportedly gave Apple a partial win in late 2022, saying that the company could have the rights to only certain of the submitted categories. Apple is now appealing to win the rest of the rights.

So far the IPI have released what trademark uses were denied to Apple, saying that the case is still under review.

It's not clear whether Fruit Union Suisse chose now to comment publicly, or exactly under which trademark categories its association may be falling foul of Apple.

However, Wired notes that the World Intellectual Property Organization says Apple has made a number of similar trademark requests worldwide.

In a previous case against Prepare in 2021, the company revised its logo in order to end what it called "bullying" tactics from Apple.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    Fruit Union's logo is an almost duplicate of Apple's outline, just minor changes to the outline. The cross is where Apple puts its bite and the FUS's stem follows Apple's stem slant and location. I like FUS's logo but can also see why Apple is required to fight it.

Q: what color is "whote"?

ronndewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    rob53 said:
    Fruit Union's logo is an almost duplicate of Apple's outline, just minor changes to the outline. The cross is where Apple puts its bite and the FUS's stem follows Apple's stem slant and location. I like FUS's logo but can also see why Apple is required to fight it.

Q: what color is "whote"?

Apple's outline is an apple.

If there is any duplication with reference to 'apple' shapes, it should be understandable why, and no, Apple should not be able to use that argument. 

As for similarities, again no. There are not anywhere near enough to provoke confusion.

mikethemartianCloudTalkinbyronlctt_zhajmasgatorguygrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Reminds me of the bully tactics from Susan G Komen Foundation and people use of a pink ribbon and "for the cure".
    williamlondonwatto_cobraajmas
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Reminds me of the bully tactics from Susan G Komen Foundation and people use of a pink ribbon and "for the cure".
    For a moment I thought you were going to say they were trademarking women’s breast.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member

I have to side with Apple on this one. Clearly the Fruit Suisse people wanted to leverage the recognition and popularity of Apple when they revamped their logo. I struggle with the "+" symbol, too, as to me that relates to medical / first aid due to Red Cross. But I know that an "apple with a plus" predates Apple, so that may give the case legs.

dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    jibjib Posts: 56member
    It is not really "bullying." Trademark law requires a trademark holder to vigorously defend against infringing marks or risk losing the trademark. For example, Apple lost a suit from Apple Records (the Beatles) many years ago and reached a settlement with them.
    edited June 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    cthomascthomas Posts: 4member
    An investigation in 2022 by the Tech Transparency Project, a nonprofit that researches Big Tech, found that between 2019 and 2021, Apple filed more trademark oppositions—attempts to enforce its IP over other companies—than Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, and Google combined. Those companies also have trademarked common terms such as “Windows” or “Prime.”

If it was possible Apple would file a trademark for the letter A, P L and E ... the very idea a company is even trying to trademark a the image of a common fruit (something that the company has in no way contributed - in this case not even a tiny whiny bit) goes to show that the 'rules' around trademark and IP are morally about as corrupted as the Opiod dedaling pharma industry!   
    ctt_zhwilliamlondongatorguy
  • Reply 8 of 17
    cthomascthomas Posts: 4member

I have to side with Apple on this one. Clearly the Fruit Suisse people wanted to leverage the recognition and popularity of Apple when they revamped their logo. I struggle with the "+" symbol, too, as to me that relates to medical / first aid due to Red Cross. But I know that an "apple with a plus" predates Apple, so that may give the case legs.

Wow ! wow! you really do not know Swiss people or anything about Switerland ! Her some Swiss stuff for beginners : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland
    ctt_zhwilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 17
    ctt_zhctt_zh Posts: 67member

You struggle with the "+" symbol? The white cross on a red background is the Swiss flag... 
    tobiandewmewilliamlondonRonnyDaddybeowulfschmidtgatorguygrandact73
  • Reply 10 of 17
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    Makes me think of a cherry more than an apple.
    ctt_zh
  • Reply 11 of 17
    tobiantobian Posts: 151member
    To me it appears that Fruit Union Suisse logo shifted both more Apple like, and less Apple like at the same time. Surely more in it's width, yet it's still clearly a different shape (on it's "cheeks"). Less in the way of trying to create the sense of depth. While Apple logo can't tell whether it's purely side viewed and flat, one should assume there was no intention to draw a mask over an apple observed a little from height. While Fruit Union Suisse new logo is shifting toward this feeling. The white line clearly tells us we are observing an apple a little from height, so we can see it's upper relief - the white line.

I'm siding with Fruit Union Suisse in this. An apple is so common shape.. you can differentiate really only by depicting crippled one. WHY?

EDIT: Just one more thing.. I would be more concerned, if even way more different shape of an apple, like their previous logo, had a bite on it.. on any side! To me, bitten apple says "sin", "desire", "tasty". While un-bitten, whole apple says "fruit", "food" instead.

I must also say, that each logo have it's disruption. Apple have bite, Fruit Union Suisse logo have plus symbol. They should have not put this plus symbol clearly to the upper right corner, like where Apple's bite is. I would put it elsewhere, perhaps the center - like on the Swiss flag! This element is teasing for sure!
    edited June 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 17
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member

That would sense IF they had anything to gain from that. “Oh, I must buy me wholesale apples from this farming group because their logo makes me fink of my iPad”. 

Get real. 

That is not the purpose of a logo. Companies uses logos so that consumers can easily recognize their brand, with just a glance.  Suppose you were flipping through the pages of a magazine, looking for something interesting to read, while in a waiting room. And for a fraction of a second, you see this Swiss apple company logo go by and thought it was an article about Apple, Inc. So you flipped the pages back, only to find out that it was about a Swiss apple company. Well, you just confused their logo with that of Apple, Inc.

Trademark laws are actually in place to protect consumers, as much as the companies brand. No one wants to waste their time pulling off a freeway (looking to grab a bite to eat) because some other business have a yellow logo that can be mistaken for a McDonald's golden arch, when driving on a freeway at 65MPH. Or have their grandma buy them a pair of running shoes thinking it was the Nike brand you prefer, because of a similar looking "swoosh" on the box. 

Get real, this has nothing to do with whether the similar "apple" logo would make you buy a certain brand of apples. It has to do with whether you might mistaken the logo on a product, for that of a product made by Apple, Inc.. Even if only for a moment. 

And because of the publicity this wholesale apple company have already gotten because they created a logo similar to Apple Inc., I would said that they had something to gain ...... free advertising.
    ronn
  • Reply 13 of 17
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    It’s hard to imagine an actual fruit being confused with a computer. If Swiss only uses logo with fruit and is stipulated to that association I don’t think Apple can complain. However, companies look for loop holes to leverage Apple’s good Rep and so Apple must be vigilant. Also, the Swiss logo at least is clearly inspired by Apple and suggests an intent to mimic and leverage Apple’s Rep. 
    ronn
  • Reply 14 of 17
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    davidw said:

Get real, this has nothing to do with whether the similar "apple" logo would make you buy a certain brand of apples. It has to do with whether you might mistaken the logo on a product, for that of a product made by Apple, Inc.. Even if only for a moment.  
    If it's only for a moment then it's not an issue.  No trademark review would take a momentary double take followed by an instant obvious correction at all seriously as a violation.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    At some point, the Courts need to take responsibility to dismiss de minimus claims of potential confusion instead of taking every claim as requiring extensive and expensive litigation. 

Who or what actually benefits from this litigation? Or it's resolution? Who's going to be surprised by thinking they ordered an iMac and receiving a crate of pears instead? 

I have no desire to support the spending of millions of dollars to "protect" the dumbest among us. 
  • Reply 16 of 17
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    I think some people are misunderstanding what's going on here, likely in part due to some misleading reporting that seems to all trace back to Wired.

I don't think Apple is going after or challenging Fruit Union Suisse's logo. If someone is aware of an action in which it is, I'd appreciate a pointer. It isn't even the iconic Apple logo (pictured in the OP) which is at issue here. This is about the Apple Corps logo which the Beatles used and which Apple acquired the rights to in 2007.

Apple, understandably, has filed for international trademark protections for a black and white version of that logo as used in various ways associated with music, videos, performances and recordings. Individual countries take their own actions with regard to such applications. They might grant protection, they might deny protection, they might grant protection only with regard to certain (of the asked for) uses. Switzerland apparently granted protection with regard to certain uses while denying it with regard to others. Apple has apparently appealed that partial denial.

To be clear, Apple isn't asking for trademark rights with regard to all images of Apples. This is about a particular image which has been used for half a century. Apple's attempts to protect that trademark also aren't new. It's sought and acquired protections, and sought to renew such protections, for well over a decade.

Fruit Union Suisse apparently opposes Apple's appeal. It doesn't want Apple to be granted protections in Switzerland for that trademark even though such protections would be limited to uses which wouldn't seem to overlap much with what Fruit Union Suisse does and, at any rate, its logo looks nothing like the trademark Apple seeks protections for. That's understandable I suppose; it's better from Fruit Union Suisse's perspective to keep future possibilities - in terms of different logos and different uses - open. But its apparent claims about what Apple is doing and the implications thereof seem a bit disingenuous to me. 
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingam