Tim Cook wants season four of 'Ted Lasso,' says Coach Beard

Posted:
in General Discussion

Brendan Hunt, renowned for portraying Coach Beard in the popular series "Ted Lasso," recently mentioned an encounter with Apple CEO Tim Cook, who hopes for more content.

Brendan Hunt on
Brendan Hunt on "Ted Lasso"

Hunt has been an important part of the Ted Lasso journey on Apple TV+. His involvement dates back to 2013 when he and his co-star Jason Sudeikis collaborated on a Premier League advertisement for NBC Sports.

He recently talked with "The Envelope," a podcast from the Los Angeles Times, about the show and his career. For example, he has been working and doing improvisational comedy in Amsterdam for years, and Ted Lasso did an episode there in the latest season.

Hunt said that living in Europe turned him into a soccer fan. "I was vaguely aware of soccer [before]," he said. But in Amsterdam, the whole football world opened up. It's a legitimate cultural experience."

He also talked about the origins of his character having a beard. "I only had a beard in [the original Premier League ad] because I was doing a play at the time where I played a homeless person. So for the first time in my life I had a beard."

Interestingly, when asked if Apple would allow the production of a fourth season for "Ted Lasso," or if the conclusion of season three would be the end of the series, Hunt mentioned an encounter with Cook.

The Apple CEO visited the set one day and, when he had a chance to speak in the locker room, said, "Thank you for all your hard work, and I sure hope there's a Season 4."

It's unclear if there will be a fourth season of Ted Lasso, but the possibility of spinoffs of the show has been mentioned by Jason Sudeikis. Hunt says there isn't a clear answer, but they will take a break.

"Everything's on the table now, including nothing," he said. "It's been an all-in job for us for so long that we're going to go away for a little bit and take a break, and then we'll reconvene and figure out if something else is going to happen."

It might be a considerable amount of time before anything happens, as numerous cast members have moved on towards new ventures.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,829member

Brendan Hunt, renowned for portraying Coach Beard in the popular series "Ted Lasso," recently mentioned an encounter with Apple CEO Tim Cook, who hopes for more content.

Don't we all... well, as a third party, not American and not British, I do for sure.
    byronllolliverAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Have mixed feelings about this. Producers are driven to ride a successful series into the ground. On the other hand, I found Lasso scripts to have actually improved from beginning to end. Maybe another season or two, especially with the fundamental change of Ted returning to the U.S., might be enough to keep things fresh. No shark-jumping needed. 
    OferbyronldewmelolliverAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,972member
    I think it ran out of steam in season three. The feel-good vibe was OK for a while but then it became tiring as the delivery lacked timing and what was clearly meant to be funny didn't get the laughs. 

I think they went a bit over the top with gay/lesbian thing as well. 

A good fourth season looks hard to pull off if the third season is anything to go by. 

[Deleted User]
  • Reply 4 of 25
    I hope Apple has a binge watch strategy...

Ted Lasso was an exception for me, as was Shrinking, but I was, while waiting for new episodes, I got into The Big Door Prize and Severance.  Now I'm waiting for some period of time (who knows?) for the second season of these shows.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    OferOfer Posts: 265unconfirmed, member
    It was a great series with a good story arc. Leave it be. There’s absolutely no reason to try and wring more out of it. 
    dewmetokyojimu
  • Reply 6 of 25
    byronlbyronl Posts: 372member
    I don’t think one more season would work as everything concluded in the finale.
    A spin off would be nice tho.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 706member
    It's set up perfectly for a spinoff. Just call it AFC Richmond. Everyone who knows Ted Lasso will know what that is.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,055member
    avon b7 said:
    I think it ran out of steam in season three. The feel-good vibe was OK for a while but then it became tiring as the delivery lacked timing and what was clearly meant to be funny didn't get the laughs. 

A good fourth season looks hard to pull off if the third season is anything to go by. 

There’s always one ^^^

S3 was great, and sweet. Expanding to 45+ min episodes allowed richer character development and did not fail to deliver.

I always laugh at those complaining about gay characters — the show had a 30 straight relationships that were no more or less over the top (seriously, nearly all the footballers were over the top in their portrayals), but have 2 gay ones and ZOMG! Sorry you can’t relate to things other people who are not you must, can, and do relate to.
    edited June 2023 tomkarlSpitbathtmaylolliverAlex_V
  • Reply 9 of 25
    avon b7 said:

There’s always one ^^^

S3 was great, and sweet. Expanding to 45+ min episodes allowed richer character development and did not fail to deliver.

I always laugh at those complaining about gay characters — the show had a 30 straight relationships that were no more or less over the top (seriously, nearly all the footballers were over the top in their portrayals), but have 2 gay ones and ZOMG! Sorry you can’t relate to things other people who are not you must, can, and do relate to.
    45m+ episodes and the story wasn't developed. Classic example: Nate leaving West Ham. That was a massive move that was quite literally wrapped up in a couple of scenes.

The gay angle felt completely 'placed', like a banner ad. It added nothing to anything. 

Yeah! 30 straight relationships and nobody says anything because there is nothing to tell. The same with gay/lesbian relationships. Don't make a meal out of it - but that's what they did! 

The penis string thing? Something else that added nothing. And that was supposed to be funny? 

These things crop up when the storyline is wearing thin. 

Ah! "there's always one..." 

Or more than one! 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/may/31/good-riddance-ted-lasso-how-the-nice-comedy-became-utterly-dreadful-television

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/ted-lasso-season-3-review-final-season-1235629420/

https://thenerdstash.com/review-on-ted-lasso-season-3-isnt-looking-great/
    edited June 2023 Alex_V
  • Reply 10 of 25
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    avon b7 said:

Yeah! 30 straight relationships and nobody says anything because there is nothing to tell. The same with gay/lesbian relationships. Don't make a meal out of it - but that's what they did! 
    You don't think they made a meal over Keeley's relationship with Jamie, or with Roy?  Or of Rebecca's liaisons with Sam or the Dutchman?  There were massive storylines over those things!

And did they even make a meal of the gay relationships?  Keeley had a gay relationship, and then it stopped.  No real drama, not about it being gay anyway.    Hughes had a secret gay relationship, but the only drama was about it being kept a secret, something that actually happens in sport a fair bit.

I thought the Keeley relationship with her boss in particular felt dramatically inert if anything, nothing really came of it, it just felt like they were killing time.

It seems like you might have some hang ups about portrayals of gay relationships.
    Spitbath
  • Reply 11 of 25
    chutzpah said:
    avon b7 said:

You don't think they made a meal over Keeley's relationship with Jamie, or with Roy?  Or of Rebecca's liaisons with Sam or the Dutchman?  There were massive storylines over those things!

And did they even make a meal of the gay relationships?  Keeley had a gay relationship, and then it stopped.  No real drama, not about it being gay anyway.    Hughes had a secret gay relationship, but the only drama was about it being kept a secret, something that actually happens in sport a fair bit.

I thought the Keeley relationship with her boss in particular felt dramatically inert if anything, nothing really came of it, it just felt like they were killing time.

It seems like you might have some hang ups about portrayals of gay relationships.
    The 'gayness' of anything is irrelevant.

That isn't my point. My point with they made a meal of things is from an executive perspective, not a storyline perspective. 

The same applies to the racism angle. 

Hang ups? 

My musical idol is gay (Rob Halford). 

Never been an issue. LOL. 

One of my biggest moments was interviewing him. 

I had the flu. A bad hair day. A Grey woolly grandpa jumper but no one was going to stop me getting to the hotel. 

Worst thing was the person who the photo of us together, put her finger over the lens! 

edited June 2023
  • Reply 12 of 25
    avon b7 said:

That isn't my point. My point with they made a meal of things is from an executive perspective, not a storyline perspective. 
    Yeah, that's going to need some further explanation, as I have no idea what you mean.  
    tmaySpitbathdewme
  • Reply 13 of 25
    chutzpah said:
    avon b7 said:

Yeah, that's going to need some further explanation, as I have no idea what you mean.  
    It's simple. 

It goes back to my previous comment about being 'placed'.

It is like someone at an executive level said, well we want a gay, lesbian, racist etc thread in there so make room for one.

Just tick the checkboxes. It doesn't matter if those threads actually did anything more than simply 'be there'. 

That is my criticism. Well, just one of many. 

I hope the explanation is clear enough. 

For the record, I'm from Tooting which got a namecheck in the series (Freedom For Tooting!) and, being white in Tooting, means many of my old pals are black (can we still say that? Lol), Indian or Pakistani. Some of them are even gay. 

On the other hand, others are dead or in prison for things like murder (or getting murdered). 

I once lost three friends in three weeks. 

No one gave a damn about if they were gay though. 

• Reply 14 of 25
    avon b7 said:
    chutzpah said:
    avon b7 said:

It's simple. 

It is like someone at an executive level said, well we want a gay, lesbian, racist etc thread in there so make room for one.

Just tick the checkboxes. It doesn't matter if those threads actually did anything more than simply 'be there'. 

Pretty speculative though.  And hardly damning even if true.  Racism and homophobia are rampant in football, and have been getting increasing attention through the years.  As a show about football it is very understandable that they'd want to address such issues.  I don't really care if that comes from the executive level or the writing level, it only matters if it's written well. 

The Colin Hughes storyline was written well, the Sam Obisanya was written fairly well, though a little undeveloped, and the Keeley Jones storyline was fairly incidental.  Hell, a gay storyline being incidental is in itself a pretty bold move.
    tmaySpitbath
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 242member, administrator, moderator, editor
    It's ok to criticize something like token gay relationships in a TV show, but you guys are walking a fine line here with subtle accusations of homophobia. Let's keep the chat focused on the show and not on what the commenter's personal beliefs are.

But also don't subtly diss LGBTQ people or the like. Yes, we can tell the difference between homophobia and criticizing a TV show, make sure you can, too, before you comment.

Don't make me pull out the close thread button because I will.

For me personally, I think this was an excellent season of television. The storylines were all quite good, and I enjoyed how they handled the closeted gay characters. That's a lot like how it happens in real life. You assume a person is something until they tell you otherwise, and it can come as a shock and out of nowhere (if you're not used to that kind of thing). That's why Colin's story works.

I'm also glad they didn't do the "one player is secretly a bigot" story that something like Netflix would have pulled. It was actually quite satisfying and unique to make the character angry at the secret keeping, not the nature of the secret. A very "Ted Lasso" move.

As for the show itself, I think a spinoff is the way. Call it "Roy Kent" though. Wait five years and do a Ted Lasso season 4 where Ted has to coach an Olympic team or something stupid.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    avon b7 said:
    chutzpah said:
    avon b7 said:

It's simple. 

I hope the explanation is clear enough. 

For the record, I'm from Tooting which got a namecheck in the series (Freedom For Tooting!) and, being white in Tooting, means many of my old pals are black (can we still say that? Lol), Indian or Pakistani. Some of them are even gay. 

On the other hand, others are dead or in prison for things like murder (or getting murdered). 

I once lost three friends in three weeks. 

No one gave a damn about if they were gay though. 

Uhm, almost certainly, the show runner, Bill Lawrence, had exceptional freedom in "Ted Lasso", just as he has in "Shrinking" (his wife is one of the characters), and in the past "Scrubs". along with many other shows that he has under his belt. Bill being that "someone" doesn't seem have have any effect on "Ted Lasso" other than assure winning a shit ton of awards.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0492639/?ref_=tt_ov_wr

Not every show is for every person, and "Ted Lasso" is certainly not for you, just like "Friends" was never something that I would have watched.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    chutzpah said:
    avon b7 said:
    chutzpah said:
    avon b7 said:

It's simple. 

Pretty speculative though.  And hardly damning even if true.  Racism and homophobia are rampant in football, and have been getting increasing attention through the years.  As a show about football it is very understandable that they'd want to address such issues.  I don't really care if that comes from the executive level or the writing level, it only matters if it's written well. 

The Colin Hughes storyline was written well, the Sam Obisanya was written fairly well, though a little undeveloped, and the Keeley Jones storyline was fairly incidental.  Hell, a gay storyline being incidental is in itself a pretty bold move.
    Each to their own but I thought none of those threads hit the mark well enough. Not surprising when you think they tried to cram it all into so few episodes. 

And as I'm now feeling nostalgic, I will say I was a regular at the Opera on the Green (London, and not only on Saturday nights) back in the late eighties/early nineties. 

I believe the TG began there and that was place where it took all sorts. LOL! 

Sundays and Mondays at Busby's. Yes, The Jungle. 

The seedy bits of low-life London too. 

So many dives and lots of very weird things happening. 

Back in those days no one in my circles cared about much except music. 

No problems with gays, lesbians, fetishists, Hare Krishna, the born again Christians patrolling the tube in search of converts, the goth crowd, racism or whatever. 

I think it's time for a show on the London 80's underworld!

• Reply 18 of 25
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,409member
    Season 3 should definitely be the final season. It was a great story and it's over.
    That said, I would like to see a well-done spin-off or a bunch of miniseries that focused on other characters. Roy, Nate, Rebecca, Keeley, Sam or any combination of those characters.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    mike1 said:
    Season 3 should definitely be the final season. It was a great story and it's over.
    That said, I would like to see a well-done spin-off or a bunch of miniseries that focused on other characters. Roy, Nate, Rebecca, Keeley, Sam or any combination of those characters.
    The most logical, would a series spinoff about building a women's team, and many of the same characters could be written in.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,677member
    All good things must come to an end. It was great while it lasted and they did an excellent job of wrapping up the loose ends in the final season, especially in the last episode. The whole series was well done and I’m completely satisfied with the story reaching a conclusion. I have no desire for spin-offs, which usually reek of little more than brand merchandizing. 

I think far too many serials go beyond their freshness date and become stale and formulaic, especially when the show’s original “hook” is no longer the main point of intrigue. When staleness sets in the writers and producers have to drum up a bunch of side stories and sub-plots to keep the thing going and it basically turns the show into soap opera, which is a never-ending story with often bizarre ways used to explain nonsensical plot changes among an essentially static cast, e.g., an inexplicably high occurrence of amnesia and forgotten twins.

I absolutely got hooked into serials like Manifest, Lost in Space, Night Sky, and Stranger Things, and others that are still in-process. Some of these were or still are unnaturally extended due to covid and writers strikes. Whenever they do start playing again it always takes me a while to pick-up where I left off and get over the fact that some of the cast members, usually child actors, are visibly older. If the previous season ended with a cliffhanger, you have to overlook the fact that the resolution of the cliffhanger has a freakishly long and unexplained time lapse. Plus, I don’t want to clutter my mind with too many pending stories. 

Having a story play out in a completely satisfying way over a single sitting or, at most, a couple of seasons, is a thing of beauty and shows a high level of skill and craftsmanship by its creators, writers, and cast members. In the case of Manifest, they finally wrapped it up in a very clever way, but when it was all said and done I came to realize that much of the intervening material was forgettable filler intended to string the audience along for far too long without adding substantially to the storyline. But that’s just my opinion and it explains why I skip over many intriguing looking new material on all of the streaming sites when I see that it’s yet another series rather than a one-and-done movie or limited series. 
    tmay