All the new features in iOS 17 CarPlay: offline maps, SharePlay, more

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2023

In iOS 17, Apple is adding many new features to Apple CarPlay ahead of a redesigned experience. Let's go hands-on with the new changes and enhancements.

New features are coming to CarPlay
New features are coming to CarPlay

One of the best facets of CarPlay is that there is no need to wait for an auto manufacturer to update their vehicle to get the latest features. Instead, updates arrive as part of iOS.

We saw all-new features this year from Messages to Siri, to Apple Music.

The exception to this rule, though, is that system-level features, like the redesigned CarPlay, do require some manufacturer assistance.

Next-generation CarPlay

First previewed at last year's WWDC with iOS 16, Apple is poised to launch a new, next-generation version of CarPlay. The iPhone maker says the new CarPlay experience will debut sometime in 2023.

We expected to learn more about the new CarPlay at WWDC. But, Apple remained mum on the matter, still promising a late-2023 target date.

The new CarPlay experience will occupy nearly all the screens in the car for a unified look and feel. In-car systems like AC or chair adjustments will all be handled, directly from within CarPlay.

The upcoming redesign of CarPlay
The upcoming redesign of CarPlay

Apple also will have new widgets to show relevant information like clocks with multiple time zones, current fuel mileage, or weather.

New CarPlay features in iOS 17

Despite the new version of CarPlay coming later this year, there are still improvements to the existing CarPlay setup.

Apple Maps in CarPlay with iOS 17

For the first time, Apple Maps now gives you options for storing your locations offline. Offline maps mean you can get rerouted information or create new routes even with no cell service available.

New offline maps with iOS 17
New offline maps with iOS 17

Maps can be saved for a specific area on your iPhone and will be available with CarPlay as you travel to those locations. This previously required third-party apps.

For EVs, there are new routing enhancements within Apple Maps to better view the number of available compatible electric vehicle chargers on your way in real-time.

Sharing music in CarPlay with iOS 17

Now, passengers in the car can participate in musical choices during the ride. SharePlay works with Apple Music in the car.

Apple Music SharePlay
Apple Music SharePlay

When in the Apple Music app, a new SharePlay icon is on the top-right corner. When tapped, a QR code shows up for passengers to scan with their phones.

They can add songs to the Up Next queue to control what plays, even if they don't have an active Apple Music subscription. The driver, though, has the ultimate control at all times.

Other changes in Apple CarPlay with iOS 17

As is usual, Apple has a new wallpaper option for users with the new update. Head to the Settings app in CarPlay and tap Wallpaper.

The new wallpaper for iOS 17
The new wallpaper for iOS 17

The new wallpaper matches the one found on iPhone with a red and blue hue. It comes in both light and dark appearances.

Siri can be invoked without saying "hey" first, jsut as with Apple's other new platforms. It makes it easier to access the digital assistant and follow-up requests can be made without having to reinvoke Siri.

Sending messages in iOS 17
Sending messages in iOS 17

Finally, there is a new design for sending and playing back received messages. When a message comes in, a modal appears with large buttons that are easy to tap while driving.

There is also a toggle to enable or disable the Announce Messages feature on a per-conversation basis.

Available in fall 2023

These new CarPlay features will be available later this year as part of iOS 17. It will arrive as a free update alongside iPadOS 17, macOS Sonoma, tvOS 17, watchOS 10, and more.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    alexkalexk Posts: 3member
    BiC said:
    Screen Mirroring on CarPlay is great- Nothing better like watching adult entertainment while cruising on the Hi-Way. And speeding too!  An 18 wheeler truck driver took notice of the content I was watching so I just cruised beside him for kilometers- We had a good laugh.  While the misses was giving me head - Good times.  Love CarPlay.
    There is no Screen Mirroring on CarPlay, but I see what you did there with your comment....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    BiC said:
    Screen Mirroring on CarPlay is great- Nothing better like watching adult entertainment while cruising on the Hi-Way. And speeding too!  An 18 wheeler truck driver took notice of the content I was watching so I just cruised beside him for kilometers- We had a good laugh.  While the misses was giving me head - Good times.  Love CarPlay.
    Very irresponsible comment! Car play is very helpful tool but not for the people like you. You should have finished your elementary school.  
    darbus69tyler82watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 12
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 265member
    When a message comes in, a modal appears with large buttons that are easy to tap while driving.”

Unless you’re driving a Mazda and the touch screen is disabled while driving. :-(
    edited June 2023 tyler82watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 178member
    zeus423 said:
    “When a message comes in, a modal appears with large buttons that are easy to tap while driving.”

Unless you’re driving a Mazda and the touch screen is disabled while driving. :-(
    And Mazda removed all Touchscreens from the 2022 models and newer.  So you have to spin the jog dial and hope the cursor lands on the right 'button', because they thought that was less distracting than a quick tap with your finger.  That is why I walked out of the dealer and did not buy a Mazda.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Carplay on the Mustang Mach-E constantly drops whether it is music or maps. And it reliably gets rid of the map anytime someone sends a thumbs-up to a text message. This usually happens as i arrive at an intersection and don’t know where to go. 

Native Ford GPS is more reliable. 
    williamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 572member
    brassens said:
    Carplay on the Mustang Mach-E constantly drops whether it is music or maps. And it reliably gets rid of the map anytime someone sends a thumbs-up to a text message. This usually happens as i arrive at an intersection and don’t know where to go. 

Native Ford GPS is more reliable. 
    That sucks! CarPlay on my 2020 Toyota RAV4 is flawless. It used to never or rarely connect back up if I unplugged my phone (eg at a drive-through when using Apple Pay) but now no issues. Maybe it’s Ford that’s the problem. Of course Do Not Disturb Mode while driving helps with the tap backs. Just mute all but people you really want to hear from. 
    edited June 2023 brassenswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,110member
    I don’t care about new backgrounds. 

Wireless CarPlay on my brand new audi cuts out for a few seconds every time I drive. It would be nice to listen to an entire song without skipping. 

Anyone else experience this?

is this an Audi or an Apple problem?
    grandact73
  • Reply 8 of 12
    S8ER95ZS8ER95Z Posts: 11member
    tyler82 said:

Wireless CarPlay on my brand new audi cuts out for a few seconds every time I drive. It would be nice to listen to an entire song without skipping. 

I’m not sure whose problem it is but I can tell you in my DDHC with wireless CarPlay I’ve never had that happen in 2 years (including several 13 hour drives).  CarPlay itself seems rock solid. 🤔 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 160member
    tyler82 said:

Sounds like Audi needs ota updating 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Offline maps - at last!! I’ve been asking for this for many years.

When it appears I’ll finally be able to switch to Apple maps from Google maps - many places I drive through have no mobile data coverage.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    Wish Tesla will allow CarPlay. 
    tokyojimuwatto_cobrawilliamlondongrandact73