Bizarre Google 'Best Phones Forever' ads poke fun at iPhone

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2023

Google's new Best Phones Forever ads hearken back to the Mac versus PC ads of yesteryear, with Google arguing that Apple no longer tries to innovate with the iPhone.

A new series of five ads feature a talking iPhone 14 Pro and Pixel 7 Pro or Pixel Fold, which have quashed their ongoing rivalry to instead be friends.

However, the series is designed to give the two phones space to hash out their differences, with the premise that the Google continues to innovate with Pixel, while Apple doesn't.

The ad "Plateau" features the iPhone 14 Pro talking at length about how the Pixel has several features the iPhone does not, including Astrophotography mode, Call Assist, and 30x Zoom. The iPhone even remarks that it is jealous of the Pixel's AI.

In "Opening Up" the Pixel Fold asks the iPhone if it noticed anything new about it. The iPhone mentions the Pixel's Magic Eraser and VP features, which it's already seen and is jealous of.

The Pixel Fold reveals that it can unfold, surprising the iPhone. The ad wraps with the two playing a game together.

The pair takes a trip to the beach in "Lifesaver," where the Pixel 7 notices the iPhone 14 Pro needs to be recharged. In an effort to "save" it, the Pixel uses its battery-sharing feature to recharge the iPhone. After springing back to life, the iPhone remarks that it drained its own battery by "binging that show about the friendly soccer coach," a reference to Apple TV+ hit "Ted Lasso."

Google routinely ribs Apple over design choices, though sometimes to mixed results. For example, in October 2022, the Google Pixel team burned Apple on Twitter -- but they used an iPhone to do so.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    The entire series is here:

IMHO they're at least entertaining and creative even if you disagree with the ads. 
    grandact73
  • Reply 2 of 11
    IMO the ads are clever and fresh. Doesn’t make me want to switch, but I suspect it will help push those on the fence over to a Pixel. 
    maximkinggrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    gatorguy said:
    The entire series is here:

IMHO they're at least entertaining and creative even if you disagree with the ads. 
    Of course you do.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    We all know people pick their mobile phone from tv ads…?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    Instead of coming up with "innovations" in an attempt to get iPhone users to switch to a Pixel phone, maybe they should be trying to come up with innovative ways to keep already Pixel users, from switching to another brand phone. There is much much more market share to be gain from getting Android users to switch to a Pixel phone, than from getting iPhone users to switch to it.

>Statista reports this past week as a part of its Global Consumer Survey that a whopping 57% of Google Pixel owners surveyed said they are very likely to switch to a different smartphone brand at the “next possible occasion.” A mere 26% were “very unlikely” to switch.<

Then again, Google do have to be concern about competing with other Android phone brands that are paying Google for a license to have Google GMS on their phones.

edited June 2023 watto_cobratmay
  • Reply 6 of 11
    sloth77sloth77 Posts: 25member
    Is it just me that finds adverts that directly name (and shame) competitors tacky?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    cabassicabassi Posts: 28member
    sloth77 said:
    Is it just me that finds adverts that directly name (and shame) competitors tacky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfv6Ah_MVJU
    edited June 2023 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 8 of 11
    cabassi said:
    sloth77 said:

What other brand of computer was mentioned directly?
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 11
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    cabassi said:
    sloth77 said:

What other brand of computer was mentioned directly?
    Those adverts took loads of jabs at Microsoft Vista.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 11
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    I was fast forwarding trying to find the part where the Pixel begs the iPhone to include RCS in iMessage.  Never found it. 
    watto_cobraFileMakerFellertmay