Unannounced Eve AirPlay 2 adapter leaked by FCC following ABB acquisition

Posted:
in General Discussion

An unannounced AirPlay 2 adapter from Eve has shown up in a regulatory database today, following the company's acquisition by mega-firm ABB.

Unreleased Eve AirPlay 2 adapter
Unreleased Eve AirPlay 2 adapter

The listing, first surfaced by German site SmartApfel, shows off an aluminum-wrapped wireless adapter that has yet to be officially announced.

Eve's adapter would connect to your existing speakers, amplifier, or soundbar and allow users to cast audio wirelessly via AirPlay 2. There are many such devices on the market, but Eve's looks to be the nicest yet.

It appears to feature an anodized silver aluminum band around the outside with a polished chamfered edge along the top. The top, presumably glossy plastic, mimics Eve's other smart home devices such as the Eve Button, Eve Room 2, Eve Weather, and Eve Aqua.

FCC schematics for Eve's new adapter
FCC schematics for Eve's new adapter

FCC says the model number is 20EBR8701 and it was submitted for regulatory approval on December 1, 2022.

Schematics show a 5V DC power input, Ethernet input, coaxial and optical digital outputs, and left and right analog outputs.

Germany-based Eve will likely be releasing the audio adapter in the near future, despite its acquisition by ABB earlier this month.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    So, sort of like the now-missing Apple Airport devices. 

I just wish there were audio inputs for Airplay, so I could hook up a turntable and play hundred-year-old 78 rpm records throughout the house via Airplay. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    AppleZulu said:

I just wish there were audio inputs for Airplay, so I could hook up a turntable and play hundred-year-old 78 rpm records throughout the house via Airplay. 
    It's certainly possible to do this -- there's just not dedicated hardware for it.  First, you'll need to get the turntable's audio output into a Mac (a USB audio adapter will help) or an iPhone/iPad (with a lighting to audio adapter -- search "audio input for iPhone" to find more help).  Once you do that, you can use recording/playback software (I use Amadeus on Mac, but there are plenty of other tools) to get the audio "in" -- and the tool you use MAY want to record it to storage (which just makes it easier to play again later).  And then you can set your Mac or iPhone's audio OUTPUT to airplay to send the audio that's coming in to your wireless speakers around the house.  Voila.
    watto_cobraAppleZulu
  • Reply 3 of 4
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    AppleZulu said:

It's certainly possible to do this -- there's just not dedicated hardware for it.  First, you'll need to get the turntable's audio output into a Mac (a USB audio adapter will help) or an iPhone/iPad (with a lighting to audio adapter -- search "audio input for iPhone" to find more help).  Once you do that, you can use recording/playback software (I use Amadeus on Mac, but there are plenty of other tools) to get the audio "in" -- and the tool you use MAY want to record it to storage (which just makes it easier to play again later).  And then you can set your Mac or iPhone's audio OUTPUT to airplay to send the audio that's coming in to your wireless speakers around the house.  Voila.
    Excellent. Thank you. Now if I could just get the same thing with an 'Airplay Out' feature on my Yamaha amp, I would actually use it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 789member
    AppleZulu said:
    Excellent. Thank you. Now if I could just get the same thing with an 'Airplay Out' feature on my Yamaha amp, I would actually use it.
    Any 3.5mm headphone Jack will work as an AUX input.

I have a pair of KEF LSX speakers that I use with an Apple TV 4K and ViewSonic monitor the same way.