Facebook shutters news rather than pay up under new Canadian law

Posted:
in General Discussion

Meta says it will cease providing news services on Facebook and Instagram before Canada's new law requiring it to pay news publishers comes into effect.

Canada's Online News Act (Bill C-18) has cleared its final Senate hearing and now needs only royal assent to become law. By the time it does, Meta will have shut down its news services for the country, so there.

Meta is effectively saying that it's their ball and they're taking it home. But of course it's not their ball, this is about Facebook and Instagram profiting from news publishers as it pays them nothing, and drives the industry out of business.

"Today, we are confirming that news availability will be ended on Facebook and Instagram for all users in Canada prior to the Online News Act (Bill C-18) taking effect," said Meta in a blog post.

"We have repeatedly shared that in order to comply with Bill C-18, passed today in Parliament," it continues, "content from news outlets, including news publishers and broadcasters, will no longer be available to people accessing our platforms in Canada."

That wording is disingenuous, to say the least. To actually comply with the new law, Facebook and Instagram would have to pay money.

According to BBC News, the law would have required Meta to pay around $250 million annually (CA$329 million).

Meta has reportedly described the bill as "fundamentally flawed legislation that ignores the realities of how our platforms work." It has also been "testing" the removal of news services for users in Canada, while the bill was being considered.

Canadian Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez previously described the tests being run by Meta -- and separately by Google -- as "unacceptable" and a "threat."

In a statement following Meta's announcement, Rodriguez said: "If the government can't stand up for Canadians against tech giants, who will?"

Facebook made a similar threat to remove news in Australia in 2021, but there it reversed the decision once the local government had given in to demands.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    The only "news" Facebook ever reports is what their algorithm shows will inflame...er, I mean, "engage" that particular user the most, so loss of that facility is essentially no loss at all.

Meta is doing the same thing so many other people seem to be doing these days, "Wahhhh!  I've been getting it free all this time; it's not fair you make me pay!  Wahhhhh!"

To be clear, Meta has every single right in the world to decline to carry Canadian news outlets' content on their platform.  They just hoping Canada will blink first.

williamlondonroundaboutnowwatto_cobraFileMakerFellerappleinsideruserjony0
  • Reply 2 of 22
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    Fuck Facebook. Canadians are better off getting their news from outside FB anyway.
    Scot1williamlondonmagman1979danoxwatto_cobraFileMakerFellerappleinsideruserjony0
  • Reply 3 of 22
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    It's Meta's right to refuse to provide services to any or all countries. It's also Apple's right, and I hope this encourages Apple to refuse to withdraw services and products from regions with unacceptable rules. For example, now that the EU has won the USB-C requirement, the EU is suddenly pushing for all smartphones to have removable batteries. Is Apple going to continue to do business there if that law passes? Next, the EU will mandate the particular size and connection types for those removable batteries. Is Apple going to let the EU micromanage their product designs, or will Apple just leave the region like Meta is doing?
    magman1979danoxwatto_cobraFileMakerFellerappleinsideruserentropysjony0
  • Reply 4 of 22
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 286member
    The EU is attempting to set the rules so perhaps a "local" can enter the cell phone market and be the only piece of junk EU folks can buy.

Once again, non engineering types have absolutely no clue what it has taken to literally downsize a main frame of the 70s into a hand held device. 

EU claims a free market. The customers should be able to choose from a range of options. The EU says you get to choose only the Edsel model since all phones will be the same but can get different colors....
    applebynaturewilliamlondonmagman1979watto_cobraappleinsideruserentropysjony0
  • Reply 5 of 22
    The only "news" Facebook ever reports is what their algorithm shows will inflame...er, I mean, "engage" that particular user the most, so loss of that facility is essentially no loss at all.
    In 2017 a high school friend of mine was visiting us. He is ALWAYS on Facebook (I’m don’t use Facebook at all). 

One morning I saw an alert about a mass shouting in Las Vegas the night before. I commented to him about it. He looked confused, pulled out his phone and started poking around. A minute or so later he said, “There’s nothing on Facebook about it. It’s probably fake news.” I told him I read about it on whatever well known source. He was baffled and checked Facebook AGAIN. 

He struggled to believe that a major event like that would happen and he wouldn’t see it on Facebook. 

So, yes, Facebook algorithms appear to be working as you mentioned. Also, all Facebook users will benefit if they stop relying on Facebook for their news. 
    williamlondonmagman1979roundaboutnowwatto_cobralolliverFileMakerFellerStrangeDaysappleinsideruserjony0beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 6 of 22
    minus31minus31 Posts: 2member
    As a Canadian and only an occasional Facebook user, all I can say is who cares? You can take your entire platform out of Canada 'cause it blows chunks. Just of of curiosity though, does this mean I don't have to scroll as much or are they just going to replace that news with more scams ads?
    williamlondonmagman1979watto_cobralolliverFileMakerFellerStrangeDaysappleinsideruserjony0
  • Reply 7 of 22
    AlreschaAlrescha Posts: 23member
    As Apple aptly demonstrates, if you create a quality product people will beat a path to your door and throw money at you.

Unfortunately most news sites could use a course in Jim Lehrer's rules of journalism.  Nobody in his right mind is going to pay good money for opinion-presented-as-fact such as "this is about Facebook and Instagram profiting from news publishers as it pays them nothing and drives the industry out of business".
    williamlondonmagman1979FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 8 of 22
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    It's Meta's right to refuse to provide services to any or all countries. It's also Apple's right, and I hope this encourages Apple to refuse to withdraw services and products from regions with unacceptable rules. For example, now that the EU has won the USB-C requirement, the EU is suddenly pushing for all smartphones to have removable batteries. Is Apple going to continue to do business there if that law passes? Next, the EU will mandate the particular size and connection types for those removable batteries. Is Apple going to let the EU micromanage their product designs, or will Apple just leave the region like Meta is doing?
    The EU won’t stop so Apple will be faced with that decision coming sooner rather than later…… just wait for Spotify to complain about the Apple Vision OS and the App Store it’s coming.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Hardly fair equivalence. What’s more, both laws are good laws. If you like your lightning connector so much you are free to buy whichever freedom product you like in America. Don’t let us pesky Europeans force our common sense on you. 
    Europe is only 23% of Apples total revenue, and it’s declining when compared to other parts of the world, the EU micro management won’t stop, don’t like Meta but they are under no obligation to offer a profitless service in Canada, and they won’t be the first to move on or offer less services.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    danox said:
    Hardly fair equivalence. What’s more, both laws are good laws. If you like your lightning connector so much you are free to buy whichever freedom product you like in America. Don’t let us pesky Europeans force our common sense on you. 
    Europe is only 23% of Apples total revenue, and it’s declining when compared to other parts of the world, the EU micro management won’t stop, don’t like Meta but they are under no obligation to offer a profitless service in Canada, and they won’t be the first to move on or offer less services.
    How exactly is it a profitless service? 
    williamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 22
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    Having your news on Facebook can only help most online publishers who depend on traffic to drive their advertising revenues. Those that don't primarily depend on ads will have paywalls that will prevent users from getting free content. Thus the notion that news outlets are somehow being "ripped off" by Facebook is absurd.

With that context, it's obvious that this is a play from publishers to get additional revenue from a company that has deep pockets. Nothing wrong with that, its free enterprise, but in this kind of power play you better make sure that the company that you are trying to put the squeeze on needs you more than you need them.
    AlreschawilliamlondonFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I struggle to see how this would be practical. Is facebook going to block all URLs for a particular list of domains? What about URL shortening services like bit.ly? What about screenshots?

Anything published is considered to be publicly consumable and subject to the "fair use" provisions in copyright law. Yes, you created it. Yes, you pay the cost of publishing (whether hosting digitally or printing physically). Yes, you are entitled to demand payment for access to the material you created; charging advertisers (or any third party) for the ability to have their content included or associated with your publication is fine.

BUT.

The right to demand payment is not the same as the ability to extract payment. Enforcement requires control, and there are diminishing returns when trying to control everything. We've already seen that even with the resources of a globe-spanning mega-corporation like facebook, moderation is (in practical terms) unworkable. The news publishers need to understand that they've ceded control of people's attention to the "social" media companies, and the solution is to win that attention back (however difficult that process may be). They also need to win back the attention of advertisers, if they choose an advertising-supported business model - what are advertisers looking for, and how can you as a news publisher provide that better than facebook does?

Frankly, I think news publications should move away from advertising: a reader wanting fact-based information is, uh, unlikely to find their desires fulfilled by advertisements. But it's difficult to identify a working business model for the existing publishers - perhaps they should voluntarily dissolve and see what can be formed from the ashes.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    DarkMouze said:
    danox said:
    How exactly is it a profitless service? 

Profitless like the end user in most class action suits, a individual person or a publishing/news company that happens to upload a picture or a story that gets wired up channel, and then gets sucked up to the Meta or Google AI, there is no big pot of gold for that story, old media, newspapers, magazines, national TV, cable channels, and public television, have had 30 years to adapt to the World Wide Web, there is no reason for them not to have their own servers, their own tech infrastructure to serve information or news to the public, third-party outfits like Google or Meta are a poor substitutes, but most old line media fainted in the early years of the World Wide Web and have never really recovered from it. The tech giants won’t be able to dig them out of their troubles, not even with government interference on their behalf.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,259member
    Sounds like a shakedown by the ever increasingly totalitarian Canadian government. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 22
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    ...What’s more, both laws are good laws. ... Don’t let us pesky Europeans force our common sense on you. 
    A stainless steel car, without any paint, is probably better for the environment. So would you support a law outlawing the use of paint on cars? Why not? Why not force that "good idea" on all your countrymen? Don't you even care about the environment? Are you someone who loves to pollute the earth?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member

Meta is doing the same thing so many other people seem to be doing these days, "Wahhhh!  I've been getting it free all this time; it's not fair you make me pay!  Wahhhhh!"

To be clear, Meta has every single right in the world to decline to carry Canadian news outlets' content on their platform.  They just hoping Canada will blink first.
    If you’re referring the third-party app developers of Twitter or Reddit, that isn’t what’s happening there. They would like to pay Reddit, but Reddit set the price so extremely high as to make it no choice at all, which is exactly what they want, so they can control all user analytics. 

Also, the notion that “people these days” are lazy, or don’t want to work, or pay for things, is a very old trope going back decades and decades. 
    edited June 2023 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    hexclock said:
    Sounds like a shakedown by the ever increasingly totalitarian Canadian government. 
    lol. Riiight
    williamlondonchutzpah
  • Reply 18 of 22
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    hexclock said:
    "Blah, blah, blah, I don't know anything about civics."

Well stated your position.
    chutzpah
  • Reply 19 of 22
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    ...What’s more, both laws are good laws. ... Don’t let us pesky Europeans force our common sense on you. 
    A stainless steel car, without any paint, is probably better for the environment. So would you support a law outlawing the use of paint on cars? 
    Sure, sounds good
    Why not? Why not force that "good idea" on all your countrymen? Don't you even care about the environment? Are you someone who loves to pollute the earth?
    Did you not hear me in your imaginary head argument?
     Why not force that "good idea" on all your countrymen?
    Yeah, it's a good idea.  Who are you talking to?
     Don't you even care about the environment?
    I do, glad you do too!
     Are you someone who loves to pollute the earth?
    No?  Are you someone who is listening?
    Xedmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    In a free market all those that want to not use a lightning port don’t buy an iPhone. Enough people do that and Apple would switch too.  
    Or, Apple switches in the end anyway because it wants to.  You don’t need a bureaucrat to force the issue. Usually they are doing so for reasons other than stated, and end up with. Cumbersome regulatory process of verification.  Ah, well, paper empires a built this way.
    edited June 2023 williamlondon