Second Apple Watch Ultra due this fall on Apple's product roadmap

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2023

Apple's product release roadmap includes three Apple Watch launches for the fall, a report claims, including two Apple Watch Series 9 models and a second-generation Apple Watch Ultra.

Apple Watch Ultra
Apple Watch Ultra

Following the introduction of the Apple Vision Pro at WWDC, the attention of the rumor mill turns to the rest of Apple's product catalog. Among the expected inbound devices are a trio of Apple Watch models, which should arrive as part of Apple's usual fall lineup.

In Sunday's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman outlines the product roadmap for the second half of 2023 and the first half of 2024. At the top of the list, alongside the iPhone 15 lineup, Gurman offers there will be three Apple Watch models introduced in the fall.

The watches are codenamed N207, N208, and N210, with two being part of Apple Watch Series 9, while the third is an "updated version of the Ultra." Gurman doesn't offer further details about what to expect from the models.

Other products listed on the roadmap include an M3-equipped 13-inch MacBook Pro, M3 Pro and M3 Max versions of the 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro, and New MacBook Air models. A couple of iMacs are also anticipated with 24-inch displays, though "early work" on a version with a screen over 30 inches in size is also apparently happening.

For iPads, Gurman says revamped iPad Pro models with OLED displays are expected, as well as a new iPad Air to replace the existing M1 model.

Gurman also mentions other products in early development, including third-gen AirPods, "home equipment" including smart displays, and an improved Apple TV.

Read on AppleInsider

Xed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    XedXed Posts: 2,703member
    I may upgrade my Ultra if this new one has the Satellite SOS feature.z
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    KT123KT123 Posts: 13member
    Wow, Apple Silicon is on a roll. M3 chips for the masses, no device is left behind it seems.

I don't see any M3-powered hair-dryers yet but it's only a matter of time I guess. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    KT123 said:
    Wow, Apple Silicon is on a roll. M3 chips for the masses, no device is left behind it seems.

I don't see any M3-powered hair-dryers yet but it's only a matter of time I guess. 
    Sign me up for the M6 powered nose hair trimmers, but I’ll take and M8 powered car now…
    https://preview.netcarshow.com/BMW-M8_Competition_Coupe-2020-1600-e9.jpg
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    fowziefowzie Posts: 1member
    With all due respect, Apple could release the 6th version of the ultra. It makes no difference that globally, people are convincing themselves that a single days (2 even) battery is something they’re cool with. It’s insane. We’re a slave to it, as it dies daily. It’s why I got off the Apple Watch bandwagon a few years back. I’m not going to talk about what I switched to as it detracts from my main point but I sincerely hope folks understand how bad the situation is. 
    Skepticalwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,329member
    designr said:
    Crossing my fingers for some upgraded battery experience (e.g., longer charge life and possibly faster charge turnaround) for the Series 9 Watch. That would make it easier to be a true all-day wearable.

An "action" button (a la Watch Ultra) might be nice to program for a specific feature (e.g., start a timer or a workout our something).

Who doesn't get a day out of a Watch with a full charge?!
    darbus69llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    SkepticalSkeptical Posts: 183member
    fowzie said:
    With all due respect, Apple could release the 6th version of the ultra. It makes no difference that globally, people are convincing themselves that a single days (2 even) battery is something they’re cool with. It’s insane. We’re a slave to it, as it dies daily. It’s why I got off the Apple Watch bandwagon a few years back. I’m not going to talk about what I switched to as it detracts from my main point but I sincerely hope folks understand how bad the situation is. 
    Best post ever. Two days is a joke. My Garmin gets easily 5 days and 7 if I happen to be in the sun. The 5 or 6 percent that I don’t get from having an Apple Watch isn’t missed at all. 
    fowziewilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 16
    fowzie said:
    I started with a wrist watch as a kid, and then stopped wearing watches altogether when I got my first cell phone... because it also told the time. I didn't care about having a Watch until the Apple Watch came out, and I've had several versions since the original. It's simply not a problem to charge it every few days.

It would be like making fun of Apple Vision Pro for being much bulkier than Google Glass simply because they both do AR, without any consideration for VR or the other technologies that are running the device.

jahbladewatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 16
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,922member
    Perhaps we should just start referring to Gurman as Captain Obvious.

New Apple Watches this Fall? Wow, what's next, iPhones?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    designr said:
    Xed said:
    fowzie said:
    I started with a wrist watch as a kid, and then stopped wearing watches altogether when I got my first cell phone... because it also told the time. I didn't care about having a Watch until the Apple Watch came out, and I've had several versions since the original. It's simply not a problem to charge it every few days.
    I just want to clarify what you're saying. Are you saying you use your Watch for a few days before charging it?

If so...
    • What series?
    • What series were you able to start doing this?
    • How do you achieve this?

I wear an Ultra now. I could easily get 2 days worth since at least Series 4. I've even gone backpacking with my Ultra for a week. I forget how long that lasted before charging but it was significantly longer since I had all the radios off.

I did wear to sleep for awhile early on with Series 1 which I'd charge when I took a shower and got ready in the morning. It was never an issue to get to 80% and have it work for over 23 hours in a day.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 139member
    mike1 said:
    designr said:
    Crossing my fingers for some upgraded battery experience (e.g., longer charge life and possibly faster charge turnaround) for the Series 9 Watch. That would make it easier to be a true all-day wearable.

An "action" button (a la Watch Ultra) might be nice to program for a specific feature (e.g., start a timer or a workout our something).

Who doesn't get a day out of a Watch with a full charge?!
    Ha who what?? It lasted me 2 days on ultra….you just have to turn off things that you don’t use all the time.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 16
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,043member
    I get quite a few days per charge on my Series 6 by turning on all the battery saving settings including Grayscale and by turning the watch OFF between exercises. I only need the time between my workouts. But I do plan to buy the Ultra 2 in September or October along with a 2TB iPhone 15 Pro Max.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Xed said:
    I started with a wrist watch as a kid, and then stopped wearing watches altogether when I got my first cell phone... because it also told the time. 
    Some early wristwatch adopters probably did go back to the pocket watch, though most didn’t. 

To each his own. 

But if you’re going to wear a wristwatch it isn’t at all unreasonable to expect a minimum off-wrist time. Inductive charging beds anyone? ;)

Mine’s an Ultra, just for the battery life (and so I can get a 4 hr bike ride without the watch dying). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,686member
    I think we can expect an Ultra update every year.  Apple wants us to pay more for our watches, not the same or less.  

Lean years of new processors with no more speed than previous years’ is why Watch 4s are still good.  Annual updates allow them to bump OS features leaving others behind.  

It’s a watch.  It’s a connection to our phone.  As long as it communicates, it should always work.  I’ll probably hold off updating to WatchOS 10 for the same reason I should have never updated my Series Zero to WatchOS 3.  Apple crippled it and nearly made it unusable.  

Good think the battery in my Series 4 is nearly dead.  I’ll just replace it.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member
    I really don’t understand what all the hoopla is about charging the watch. When I replaced my series 0 with a series 4, I kept it, changed the battery, and use it at night for sleep tracking. In the morning my series 4 is fully charged and ready to go. I will probably retire the 0 when the Ultra 2 comes out and use the series 4 for sleep tracking.  I think using the 4 this way also saves the battery as it’s the original and still going strong. 
  • Reply 15 of 16
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,379member
    j2fusion said:
    I really don’t understand what all the hoopla is about charging the watch. When I replaced my series 0 with a series 4, I kept it, changed the battery, and use it at night for sleep tracking. In the morning my series 4 is fully charged and ready to go. I will probably retire the 0 when the Ultra 2 comes out and use the series 4 for sleep tracking.  I think using the 4 this way also saves the battery as it’s the original and still going strong. 
    People aren't happy if they don't have something to bitch about.