Leaked cases show off iPhone 15 Pro design changes in detail

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2023

Newly leaked images and a video purportedly of a case for the forthcoming iPhone 15 Pro appear to show many very small alterations to the size and position of controls.

A smaller cutout in this purported iPhone 15 Pro case backs up claims of an 'Action' button
A smaller cutout in this purported iPhone 15 Pro case backs up claims of an 'Action' button

Previous on and off again rumors have suggested that Apple is looking at the type and position of iPhone controls, such as the volume button. Now a new leak comparing iPhone 15 Pro cases to those of the iPhone 14 Pro show a series of minute differences.

If correct, the leaked cases show a slightly larger microphone cutout, and a fractionally repositioned sleep/wake control
If correct, the leaked cases show a slightly larger microphone cutout, and a fractionally repositioned sleep/wake control

As first shown on Chinese social media site Weibo, a series of images compared the alleged iPhone 15 Pro case to its predecessor. The most immediately significant difference concerns what was called the mute switch, and may now become an "Action" button.

The cutout for the button is noticeably smaller than that for the old switch. That would fit the claim of Apple changing to a button since that would need to only be pressed, not slid to one side or the other as at present.

While that cutout is smaller than the current equivalent, the leaked images appear to show the the one for the bottom charging connector is larger. That also fits the expectation that Apple will switch from Lightning to USB-C for the iPhone 15 Pro.

It appears that the sleep/wake button, and the volume buttons, are the same size as before, but positioned fractionally lower down the side of the chassis.

Controls appear to have been moved lower down the chassis
Controls appear to have been moved lower down the chassis

Alongside the Weibo images first spotted by MacRumors, Twitter user "Majin Bu" has leaked what purports to be a video of iPhone 15 Pro cases.

The most significant difference revealed in this video is that it appears that the iPhone 15 Pro will feature a slightly larger microphone grill, and also that the camera section will be bigger as well.

Apple is expected to launch the iPhone 15 Pro in September, alongside the rest of the new iPhone 15 range.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,117member
    How anyone would benefit from a mute switch that no longer shows its status at a glance is beyond me, but if these rumors are true, hopefully the wisdom will become evident when the phones are announced and released.
    M68000watto_cobracaladanianwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 15
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,969member
    Any improvement to the mute switch would be welcome. With a case on it is very difficult to move and to see the red indicator. Also useful would be a screen reminder that the phone is muted—I always forget the turn it back on after muting.
    rezwitswatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 3 of 15
    SkepticalSkeptical Posts: 183member
    It’s magical.
    williamlondonappleinsideruser
  • Reply 4 of 15
    theiletheile Posts: 6member
    If only the power button would be moved back to the top, so I don’t take screen shots from turning off the display or using volume buttons. 
    jSnivelyrobin huberbluefire1mobirdrezwitsAniMillwatto_cobracaladaniancitpeksfred1
  • Reply 5 of 15
    kmareikmarei Posts: 185member
    theile said:
    If only the power button would be moved back to the top, so I don’t take screen shots from turning off the display or using volume buttons. 
    i do this on a daily basis, several times

jSnivelyAniMillwatto_cobraGraeme000
  • Reply 6 of 15
    How anyone would benefit from a mute switch that no longer shows its status at a glance is beyond me, but if these rumors are true, hopefully the wisdom will become evident when the phones are announced and released.
    I haven't moved my mute switch from the mute position since I got the phone. I've had all my various iPhones on mute for probably at least 10 years now, only very rarely changing it momentarily. I strongly believe that the majority of people are the same, especially all but the older generations. 
    This will be a much welcomed change if they are actually changing it to an action button that you can program to do anything you want. An absolutely useless switch for most will now be an infinitely useful shortcut button for all. Those that still want it to function as a mute button can use that as their shortcut for the new button. Yeah, you won't be able to look at the switch to see if its muted or not anymore, but progress always has its "costs," you'll get over it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 431administrator
    kmarei said:
    theile said:
    i do this on a daily basis, several times

🙌 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 15
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,969member
    theile said:
    If it becomes an action button, set it as your camera shutter. Not sure if that would be better though. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 15
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,304member
    Unless there’s more to the changes then these minimal adjustments, I’ll stick with my 14 Pro for another year.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I haven't moved my mute switch from the mute position since I got the phone. I've had all my various iPhones on mute for probably at least 10 years now, only very rarely changing it momentarily. I strongly believe that the majority of people are the same, especially all but the older generations. 

Agreed. They can remove the mute switch entirely as far as I'm concerned. Most people in my world also leave their phones on silent/vibrate entirely.
    applebynaturewatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 15
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,469member
    There’s no phone inside that case. It’s just a solid block for prototyping. The other buttons are part of the case and the only open part is for the mute switch 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 538member
    That camera cutout is HUGE compared to my 14 Pro Max and it didn’t get a mention?
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 15
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    theile said:

"Design is how it works."  :D

Frustrating, isn't it?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 15
    alandailalandail Posts: 757member
    They always change it just enough that you have to buy a new case.  :/
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 15
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,327member
    alandail said:
    They always change it just enough that you have to buy a new case.  :/
    And if they don't change it at all, the rabble screams louder, can't win no matter what happens, always complaints.