Giant 30-inch iMac, iPhone 15, OLED iPads: Apple's roadmap for 2023-2024

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2023

Beyond the iPhone 15, Apple's product roadmap between now and 2024 is jam-packed with products including a rumored 30-inch iMac. Here's what to expect in the next year.

WWDC was a busy event for Apple, with it used as the venue to launch its Apple Vision Pro platform. With the announcement of the headset, and a release set for early 2024, the rumor mill's attention now shifts to the rest of Apple's product catalog.

The Apple Vision Pro may be the headline product on the way at the moment, but there's a lot more set to come. As serial leaker Mark Gurman mentioned on Sunday, there's quite a few products that are expected to launch later in the year, as per Apple's usual release schedule, beyond the usual iPhone 15 launches.

iPhone 15

One of the most obvious and important products in Apple's catalog, the iPhone will be getting its annual update in the fall, under the name iPhone 15. As usual, Apple is anticipated to bring out four models, with iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro flanked by Max counterparts.

There have been some claims that an "Ultra" model is on the way.

The bulk of the rumors pertains to display technology, with curved bezels touted across all models, as well as the spread of the Dynamic Island concept from Pro to non-Pro variants.

The display may wait until the iPhone 16 for a new OLED screen, as the iPhone 15 is thought to reuse the same tech as the iPhone 14. ProMotion and the Always-On display will apparently stay a Pro feature for another generation.

There is also the general belief that Apple will finally ditch the Lightning connector in favor of embracing USB-C for its physical port, bringing the iPhone in line with the iPad family.

The Pro models may benefit from a big change, with the use of a periscope camera enabling considerable levels of zoom to occur. This may also result in a slightly larger camera bump to accommodate the size.

Rumors have also pointed to 48-megapixel cameras arriving on all models, as well as some debate over solid state or unified side buttons.

iMac 24-inch and maybe a 30-inch iMac

On the Mac side, there are new iMac models expected to be on the way. Codenamed J433 and J434, they are anticipated to be 24-inch models similar to the existing 24-inch iMac, but with improvements including the use of M3 chips.

24-inch iMac
24-inch iMac

They are also anticipated to be offered in the same color range, but with adjustments to where some internal components are located, and how the stand itself attaches to the main body.

Gurman also mentioned that "early work" is being carried out on an iMac sporting a display "over 30 inches" in size. Rumors for the New iMac with a bigger screen have surfaced in the past, including the use of a 27-inch display, though some also claimed a size closer to 30 inches or 32 inches thanks to some bezel shrinkage.

Elements such as ProMotion and a mini-LED backlight have also been floated.

MacBook Pro and MacBook Air

Gurman's list of portable products on the way includes an M3-equipped 13-inch MacBook Pro, codenamed J504. While there have been few rumors about the model, Apple did introduce the M2-equipped version in June 2022, making it a candidate for an early M3 launch.

Upgraded variants of the 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro are also thought to be in development, and are set to use M3 Pro and M3 Max chips. However, since they were updated earlier in 2023, a launch early in the M3 cycle could be in doubt, with a 2024 launch more plausible.

15-inch MacBook Air
15-inch MacBook Air

A pair of MacBook Air models are also supposedly in development, codenamed J613 and J615. With the existence of the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Air, it makes sense for there to be two models being worked on.

Following the recent launch of the 15-inch MacBook Air, an early update to the model seems unlikely, but it's already on the way, apparently. On June 11, a rumor claimed the M3 edition is already in development, though without offering when that would take place.

iPad Air and iPad Pro

Sunday's list includes references to a new iPad Air to replace the existing M1-based model. He claims the model is codenamed "J507."

There haven't been many rumors about a new iPad Air just yet, but given the iPad Air 5 arrived in early 2022, an update to the model as part of the fall update season seems quite plausible.

iPad Air 5
iPad Air 5

Upgraded editions of the iPad Pro, codenamed J717 and J720, will apparently have OLED displays when they arrive in the future. Again, Gurman doesn't mention when they will surface, but a fall update is justifiably expected.

Rumors have pointed towards an OLED upgrade in 2024, rather than in 2023, but there have been hints of a possible revamp of the lineup. This can include an updated design, and even the possibility of using dry etching in the display's construction to keep the iPad as thin as possible.

The switch to OLED may also raise the price of the iPad Pro range, possibly increasing the cost by a few hundred dollars.

Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra

Of the list, Gurman offered timescales only for the Apple Watch Series 9 and an updated Apple Watch Ultra, declaring them to be arriving in the fall alongside the iPhone 15 lineup. They allegedly have the codenames N207, N208, and N210.

Current rumors for the Apple Watch Series 9 involve a change to the S9 chip, which will apparently be based on the A15 Bionic. This will supposedly introduce a considerable performance boost over the S8, which didn't really provide a giant leap from its own predecessor.

Apple Watch Ultra
Apple Watch Ultra

For the Apple Watch Ultra, rumors largely focus on the display, including the use of a microLED screen that's brighter than the current-gen OLED version.

Repeated rumors have carried on the microLED story, through with timelines for a 2024 or 2025 upgrade. There has also been the claim of a screen increase by as much as 10%.

AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max

Gurman doesn't mention AirPods in his list, but given they are an important accessory, they are worth bringing up. With Apple last updating AirPods in October 2021 and AirPods Pro in September 2022, an upgrade seems to be on the cards.

One of the most obvious indicators that something is on the way occurred in March, with references to AirPods A3048 and AirPods Case A2968 in the beta for iOS 16.4.

AirPods Pro
AirPods Pro

Rumors and analyst murmurs have discussed the possibility of a cheaper "AirPods Lite" on the way, which could end up providing similar features to the existing AirPods but at a price as low as $99.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has also floated the value AirPods idea, as well as an update to the AirPods Max. The headphones, which Apple introduced in December 2020, haven't been given the refresh treatment yet, but Kuo posited that a replacement could arrive in 2024.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    glhglh Posts: 17member
    I have 2 iPad pro's from 5 (!) years ago, the smaller and larger ones. So far, there has been absolutely no need for me to upgrade -- only small things have been updated. I hope this newest (OLED?) upgrade will be significant enough to justify buying it and replacing the older tablets. In the same 5-year time period, the Mac and iPhone have seen real, worthwhile updates.
    mobirddanoxwatto_cobratwokatmew
  • Reply 2 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Still using my iPP10.5. Perhaps the OLED versions will create enough lust. Well, an upgrade really been waiting on Stage Manager getting there. So perhaps iPadOS 17 and OLED will convince me.
    mobirdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 53
    nubusnubus Posts: 386member
    So Apple will upgrade their products and the all have internal codes with the main focus being 3nm + display tech.
    Based on the MacBook Air 15:
    1. iPad Air pricing will be cut. It has become too expensive. The MacBook Air indicated that Apple is aware. Did Apple go too far by moving iPad Air to M1? Something must happen. Moving it to 3nm and an A-series CPU could be the fix.
    2. Currency rates will be adjusted as it happened to MacBook Air - more price reductions outside US (we need those)
    3. The 3nm is going to be really expensive and limited in quantity. Apple should use all capacity in 2023 for iPhone 15 Pro. After 12/13/14 having the same design and performance the Pro is where sales will happen in 2023.
    4. iMac is in need of an upgrade but sales are limited. It can't be launched in time for "back to school" so why not wait to 2024? Launching a M2 feels like very late and the benefit of 3nm is mainly in laptops. Adding a 30"... then we would have mini, mini Pro, Studio, Mac Pro, iMac 24 and iMac 30 - do we need all those desktop models? 
    5. AirPods and AirPods Pro will get USB-C charging cases. Not sure why that rumour isn't mentioned?
    Alex1Nwatto_cobratwokatmew
  • Reply 4 of 53
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    “Early work”?

Ear.y work on a larger iMac? What the hell?
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra9secondkox2BiCwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 53
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,813member
    I don't buy anything Mark Gurman says...he just throws a bunch of shit at the wall and eventually something sticks. He's constantly changing his story around. Next month he'll have a new story out about how the 30" isn't happening and it'll be a new 27" iMac instead. 
    chasmdewmeAlex1Nwatto_cobraJanNLBigGuyinSF
  • Reply 6 of 53
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    macxpress said:
    I don't buy anything Mark Gurman says...he just throws a bunch of shit at the wall and eventually something sticks. He's constantly changing his story around. Next month he'll have a new story out about how the 30" isn't happening and it'll be a new 27" iMac instead. 
    Agreed, like Ming-Chi Kuo, Gurman’s second (or third) revision is often on target.
    Alex1NBiCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 53
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I will be interested to see if the iPad Air drops the TouchID sensor in favour of FaceID. I'd kind of prefer it not to, but it may be going that way.

At this point, I'm holding out for the M3 Max MBP, so I'd like to see it sooner rather than later, but we'll see. The M2 release was January, so November or December isn't completely ridiculous, or unprecedented, but it does seem unlikely. I suspect they'll release them when they're ready, which could be this year, or could be Q1 next year.

I don't know if they'll release new AirPods Pro, or just release them with a USB-C charging case, but I hope they do update all their Lightning-based devices to USB-C. I'd expect Phones to be first, and AirPods (of all flavours) shortly after, if not at the same time. The other peripherals might take a bit longer, but I do think they'll be doing it in the next year or so.

It seems odd that the iMac might skip the M2 and go straight to the M3, but I don't think they'll release the M2 version now, except maybe as a low-cost option alongside the M3 version.

Anyway, a bunch of random predictions based on no inside knowledge, or access to Apple sources. Who do I send it to to get on the punditry bandwagon?
    Alex1Nwatto_cobraBiC
  • Reply 8 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    macxpress said:
    It's probably just a refresh of the 32" Pro Display XDR with more local dimming zones. LG QNED gives 2500 zones vs 576 on the Pro Display:

https://www.techradar.com/news/what-is-qned

This means lower blooming, higher contrast. It may allow for a price drop.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobramacxpress
  • Reply 9 of 53
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    Will believe big iMac when I see it. Lucy has pulled the ball away one too many times. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra9secondkox2neilmwilliamlondondanoxroundaboutnow
  • Reply 10 of 53
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    I know I said I'd buy a 15" Macbook air, but I'd rather just get an iPad and get the 30" iMac, even if it's 3x the price for both. 
    watto_cobra9secondkox2
  • Reply 11 of 53
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Will believe big iMac when I see it. Lucy has pulled the ball away one too many times. 
    It's the current "Apple TV Set" at this point.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 12 of 53
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    After a few years of indecision about this, I have moved off the iMac line permanently. I've had many different versions (and one that was a complete lemon that Apple never should have shipped), but I settled on a M1 mac mini driving a 27" third party 4K display. It suits for a fine desktop...and oddly enough, I'm moving off the need for a desktop. It replaces a late 2009 27" iMac.

My computing needs are very modest, so there's little here for me to really consider. All sound like fine products...they just aren't for me. Truth of it is that Apple products hold up so well, they really don't need constant replacing.

The exception to all this is the iPhone 15. I'll be a launch day customer, as I have in fact worn out my iPhone Xr. 

Very up in the air about update of my Apple Watch 4. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I still easily get a full day out of a full charge, so maybe wait. 

watto_cobra9secondkox2williamlondonFileMakerFellerAlex1N
  • Reply 13 of 53
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    The big iMac cant come soon enough. 

The Mac mini and Mac Studio with external display added just isn’t for me. After enjoying the iMac 5k for 7 years, it’s too lame to go back to a traditional PC setup. The iMac was a beast too. 

Going 3nm, I’m betting they can use the Ultra in the 32” chassis and a 6k screen. 

The only real drawback is going to be price gouging from Apple. After pushing the Studio as a wannabe iMac replacement, apple found a way to seriously overcharge. In 2030, you could load up the iMac 27” with significantly impressive power and it was a good deal. The Mac Studio, while a nice and capable machine is a horrible deal in comparison. 

That makes me think the big iMac will be labeled “Pro” and carry the Max and Ultra chips. This will allow Apple to charge about what the Stidio plus display costs and that would really suck. 

The other option would be to limit it to pro and max and sell it for a good amount cheaper, but that would be artificially limiting the performance. No thanks. 

Hopefully it’s not too far out. By this time next year is as long as it should be. Plenty of people are losing enthusiasm as it is. No one asked for the big iMac to go away - literally the worst thing about the Apple Silicon transition. And the Mac Studio is not at all a suitable replacement. Let’s get that big iMac 6k rolling. And with m3 Ultra please. If the old iMac could accommodate the hot Intel chip and separate GPU without issue, the new one can accommodate a single 3nm SOC that runs FAR cooler and barely ever needs to use its fans as is. 
    edited June 2023 JanNLAlex1Ndanoxmacikeargonaut
  • Reply 14 of 53
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    entropys said:
    “Early work”?

The goalposts have changed. 
  • Reply 15 of 53
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    BiC said:
    Marvin said:
    macxpress said:
    It's probably just a refresh of the 32" Pro Display XDR with more local dimming zones. LG QNED gives 2500 zones vs 576 on the Pro Display:

https://www.techradar.com/news/what-is-qned

This means lower blooming, higher contrast. It may allow for a price drop.

A five thousand dollar monitor that does nothing.  You can use an HDMI cable and hook up any Macintosh to a Sony OLED.  Apple is losing in this game.  They have the purchasing power to make TVs with all the software.  This one is a clown show.  Boyz - Lets make a LCD monitor for Five grand. 
    I assume you just ran out of digital ink and meant to complete your posting with some facts.
    Like which exact model of a cheaper Sony OLED monitor you would replace the Apple Pro XDR with. 
    neilmwilliamlondonFileMakerFellerdanoxroundaboutnowAlex_V
  • Reply 16 of 53
    macxpress said:
    THANK YOU… Gurman is a hack, and I wish the Apple blogs would just ignore him so he goes away. Are you listening, AI?!
    Alex1N
  • Reply 17 of 53
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    eightzero said:
    After a few years of indecision about this, I have moved off the iMac line permanently. I've had many different versions (and one that was a complete lemon that Apple never should have shipped), but I settled on a M1 mac mini driving a 27" third party 4K display. It suits for a fine desktop...and oddly enough, I'm moving off the need for a desktop. It replaces a late 2009 27" iMac.

My computing needs are very modest, so there's little here for me to really consider. All sound like fine products...they just aren't for me. Truth of it is that Apple products hold up so well, they really don't need constant replacing.

The exception to all this is the iPhone 15. I'll be a launch day customer, as I have in fact worn out my iPhone Xr. 

Very up in the air about update of my Apple Watch 4. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I still easily get a full day out of a full charge, so maybe wait. 

We are similar in that I just ordered a new M2 Mini and planning on the Studio screen for my wife who spends many hours in front of it. I will inherit her 24” newish iMac. My old 27” to be migrated to other family. If a Big iMac ever comes I may get it, but have stopped holding my breath. Most of my screen time is on my iPad Air anyway. Unlike you, I have continued my early adopter ways, but tend to at least skip a year if changes are minimal. Am weighing the possibility of getting Vision. 
    edited June 2023 macike
  • Reply 18 of 53
    entropys said:
    “Early work”?

It means Gurman is pulling rumors out of his ass again. 
    macxpress
  • Reply 19 of 53
    doggonedoggone Posts: 381member
    Having skipped last years iPhone I am definitely in for a new one in October.  The USB-C connection will be useful especially when traveling, though now I have a foldable wireless charger that can do both phone, watch and AirPods. Probably in for a new watch too and may AirPods if the batteries so to go in my current ones.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 53
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 214member
    30inch iMac, now we’re talking!
    williamlondon9secondkox2danox