Apple Car is a matter of 'when, not if' claims analyst

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,378member
    dutchlord said:
    No need for Apple Car. A new 27 inch M3 iMac is what we need
    Totally irrelevant to the conversation (as usual), just like those morons that used to descend into every thread screaming, "Mac Pro!"
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 225member
    tht said:
    welshdog said:

I'm thinking of proto-domed cities in hot climates. There won't be a gigantic dome, but like a reverse "Silo", more and more buildings will have indoor parks, indoor gardens, indoor chicken farms, just sticking up into the sky instead of into the ground. In dense urban areas with these types of buildings, they will gradually be interconnected by air conditioned trains, bike and walking tunnels, etc. So, proto-indoor living 24x7.
    Your proto-domed cities already exist, in a sense. In my experience, Americans in the South are like the Arabs in the Middle East: they leave their air-conditioned homes every morning; drive along in their air-conditioned cars to their air-conditioned office; eat lunch at air-conditioned restaurants, then they’re off to their air-conditioned malls and Walmarts for shopping, and then it’s back home. The only time they’re exposed to the elements is in their dash to and from their car! All the while burning the fossil fuels that exacerbate the problem, like there’s no tomorrow. ;-)
    tokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,778member
    Does the world REALLY need another car? Apple or otherwise.

Did you have the same thoughts when Tesla was launched?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 33
    In case anyone is an idiot like me and doesn't know what the hell wet bulb temperature means, here's some relevant info from Wikipedia:

"The wet-bulb temperature is the lowest temperature that can be reached under current ambient conditions by the evaporation of water only.

Even heat-adapted people cannot carry out normal outdoor activities past a wet-bulb temperature of 32 °C (90 °F), equivalent to a heat index of 55 °C (130 °F). The theoretical limit to human survival for more than a few hours in the shade, even with unlimited water, is a wet-bulb temperature of 35 °C (95 °F) – equivalent to a heat index of 70 °C (160 °F)."

I like to explain it in these simple terms, it is what you as a living, perspiring entity experience as the temperature, regardless of what other ways of measuring it around you say.

Put a wet tissue around the thermometer bulb (hence the name), and you get the temperature created by the evaporation in that setting, so it's the actual heat, less energy loss due to evaporation. Obviously, humidity, atmospheric pressure, and wind speed are all taken into account as they directly affects this.
    edited July 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    Does the world REALLY need another car? Apple or otherwise.

Does the world really need another internet opinion?

What the world needs and what the world gets are seldom the same.
    williamlondonwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 33
    thttht Posts: 5,536member
    Alex_V said:
    tht said:
    welshdog said:

I'm thinking of proto-domed cities in hot climates. There won't be a gigantic dome, but like a reverse "Silo", more and more buildings will have indoor parks, indoor gardens, indoor chicken farms, just sticking up into the sky instead of into the ground. In dense urban areas with these types of buildings, they will gradually be interconnected by air conditioned trains, bike and walking tunnels, etc. So, proto-indoor living 24x7.
    Your proto-domed cities already exist, in a sense. In my experience, Americans in the South are like the Arabs in the Middle East: they leave their air-conditioned homes every morning; drive along in their air-conditioned cars to their air-conditioned office; eat lunch at air-conditioned restaurants, then they’re off to their air-conditioned malls and Walmarts for shopping, and then it’s back home. The only time they’re exposed to the elements is in their dash to and from their car! All the while burning the fossil fuels that exacerbate the problem, like there’s no tomorrow. ;-)
    Yup. That's peak summer in the USA south. Lot's of cars idling while parked just to power the A/C. It's mostly from after lunch to sunset where it can be intolerable. Mornings to lunchtime is ok. Evenings are ok.

You can already see some big hotels, resorts, entertainment things proliferate. Indoor water parks. Artificial forests with streams and walking trails. With summer continuing to get hotter and longer, I can see the all-indoor lifestyle being a thing.
    watto_cobraAlex_V
  • Reply 27 of 33
    In case anyone is an idiot like me and doesn't know what the hell wet bulb temperature means, here's some relevant info from Wikipedia:

"The wet-bulb temperature is the lowest temperature that can be reached under current ambient conditions by the evaporation of water only.

Even heat-adapted people cannot carry out normal outdoor activities past a wet-bulb temperature of 32 °C (90 °F), equivalent to a heat index of 55 °C (130 °F). The theoretical limit to human survival for more than a few hours in the shade, even with unlimited water, is a wet-bulb temperature of 35 °C (95 °F) – equivalent to a heat index of 70 °C (160 °F)."

tht said:

IOW, wet bulb temperature is really used as a measure of when sweat doesn’t evaporate off your body anymore. Your body sweats to keep its internal temperature down. If that sweat doesn’t evaporate, your body doesn’t keep cool, and heat illness will start pretty quick. 

94 to 95 °F is a critical wet bulb temperature as that’s when sweat won’t evaporate anymore. We were at 90 to 92 °F wet bulb temperatures everyday for 1 to 3 hours everyday for about 10 straight days. 
    Slightly off topic to the thread, but posting anyway to give a perspective. I live in a place (Chennai, India) where we have peak temperatures of around 95 °F to 100°F for about 9 months in the year. Only for 3 months (Dec to Feb), we get to enjoy pleasant weather (around 90°F peak temperature). Even in winter months (Oct, Nov), we don't get to enjoy pleaseant weather more often. It used to rain in the evening/night, but pretty hot temperatures (95°F+) during the day. After a week of 100°F+ temparatures in the last 1 week, we have pleasant weather of about 90°F today.

@Tht mentioned about "You aren't going to be biking or walking a few miles in 100 °F summer climates" - This is exactly what I do (travelling by bike on a daily basis). And i am one of the lucky ones, not having to walk for the most part. But there are at least a million people in this city who have to walk at least a mile in 100 °F temparatures almost on a daily basis.
    williamlondonStrangeDaysAlex_V
  • Reply 28 of 33
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    I've been looking at the yet to be released Volvo EX30. This vehicle with CarPlay or the rumoured Car OS as the driver facing software rather than android would be brilliant. I'd buy it over a Tesla, (coming from someone who once had a Model 3 on order - my current wheels are a Trek and Cérvelo for the benefit of the initiated.) In the EX30, an android tablet provides the vehicle interface. The backend electronics is probably OS agnostic.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Regardless of the outdoor shaded air temperature, you do not want to experience a wet bulb temperature above about 32°C, as the body cannot then cool sufficiently to stay healthy. The kidneys are early victims - kidney disease develops quickly and is ultimately unsurvivable. It is already a problem for outdoor workers in parts of South America. I have worked outdoors in temperatures of up to 52°C but with very low humidity.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 33

tht said:

IOW, wet bulb temperature is really used as a measure of when sweat doesn’t evaporate off your body anymore. Your body sweats to keep its internal temperature down. If that sweat doesn’t evaporate, your body doesn’t keep cool, and heat illness will start pretty quick. 

94 to 95 °F is a critical wet bulb temperature as that’s when sweat won’t evaporate anymore. We were at 90 to 92 °F wet bulb temperatures everyday for 1 to 3 hours everyday for about 10 straight days. 
    Slightly off topic to the thread, but posting anyway to give a perspective. I live in a place (Chennai, India) where we have peak temperatures of around 95 °F to 100°F for about 9 months in the year. Only for 3 months (Dec to Feb), we get to enjoy pleasant weather (around 90°F peak temperature). Even in winter months (Oct, Nov), we don't get to enjoy pleaseant weather more often. It used to rain in the evening/night, but pretty hot temperatures (95°F+) during the day. After a week of 100°F+ temparatures in the last 1 week, we have pleasant weather of about 90°F today.

@Tht mentioned about "You aren't going to be biking or walking a few miles in 100 °F summer climates" - This is exactly what I do (travelling by bike on a daily basis). And i am one of the lucky ones, not having to walk for the most part. But there are at least a million people in this city who have to walk at least a mile in 100 °F temparatures almost on a daily basis.
    You are all discussing wet bulb temp results and effects, not the actual meaning.  It is simply the temperature you get having a damp cloth, tissue, or whatever wrapped around the mercury bulb and allowing evaporation to occur while reading the temperature.  Thus it is the dry air temperature, less the latent heat of evaporation.  All else you guys are discussing (looking up) is simply the effects this has on humans, not what it is.  It is a measurement, that's all.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 33

tht said:

Hopefully you are wearing a hat, drinking a lot of water, and not biking during peak heat times. At least the peak of the heat season is over for Chennai. Remember, it is only going to get worse. 

Decade by decade, it will get hotter, and the increasing heat is not going to stop until the combination of CO2 concentration in the air and surface albedo of the planet arrives at a net reduction in heat energy retained by the atmosphere. That point is probably 2060 to 2080 time frame, with a another 30 years for all that energy to cycle out, and assuming there is at least a snow layer at the poles. Probably another 3 to 4 °F on top of what it is today. So, the low temperature in Chennai is going to be 80 to 85 °F for the better part of 6 months. It actually won't get cooler until CO2 concentrations are drawn down and albedo goes up.

I've been in deserts in the late afternoon. 110 to 120 °F. Not pleasant. I'm just recoiling at the thought of walking on pavement or sand under the sun at those conditions. This is Arizona summer. You don't plan on doing anything outside until it gets cooler.

Walking a mile takes about 20 minutes in 100 °F. You can do that, even without being well hydrated. I've done it, not without a hat though. Walking 4 to 5 miles outside when wet bulb temperatures are 92 °F or heat indexes of 110 °F? The number of people that could do that really starts to shrink. You have to prepare for such a walk in such conditions.

I've long thought there will be a kind of Fremen style clothing to handle situations like this. It isn't going to be black or sandy colored like in the movies. Lots of white with layers of meta-material fabrics that can radiate heat at frequencies greenhouse gases don't absorb. Even our clothes will be a marvel of engineering in the future.

StrangeDaysAlex_V
  • Reply 32 of 33
    iqatedo said:
    I've been looking at the yet to be released Volvo EX30. This vehicle with CarPlay or the rumoured Car OS as the driver facing software rather than android would be brilliant. I'd buy it over a Tesla, (coming from someone who once had a Model 3 on order - my current wheels are a Trek and Cérvelo for the benefit of the initiated.) In the EX30, an android tablet provides the vehicle interface. The backend electronics is probably OS agnostic.
    Nice looking car, but it has glass for its roof. Really hate that in my Model 3. A literal green house is the last thing I want. Probably nice for Scandinavia or the California coast, but in my hot and humid climate, it is just a bad idea. It's also a fingerprint magnet.

I'm thinking Apple can't resist doing this design trend. At least have an option for a metal roof or better yet, a solar PV roof, and PV hood and PV dash.
    iqatedowatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 33
    tht said:
    iqatedo said:
    Nice looking car, but it has glass for its roof. Really hate that in my Model 3. A literal green house is the last thing I want. Probably nice for Scandinavia or the California coast, but in my hot and humid climate, it is just a bad idea. It's also a fingerprint magnet.

I'm thinking Apple can't resist doing this design trend. At least have an option for a metal roof or better yet, a solar PV roof, and PV hood and PV dash.
    Agree. We've seldom had a sunroof open exposing just the glass panel.

Edit: I wonder whether it is a dual panel with better thermal properties or a single?
    edited July 2023 watto_cobra