USB-C AirPods Pro 2 may test your hearing too

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2023

Apple's next version of the AirPods Pro equipped with USB-C will ship this fall, a report claims, and it may even help users discover hearing problems too.

An AirPods Pro case
An AirPods Pro case

Apple is rumored to be working on an updated version of the AirPods Pro that could arrive within months. That model is already believed to be using USB-C for its wireless charging case instead of Lightning, but it is thought that it could finally land this fall.

According to Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, the AirPods Pro 2 is set to launch in the fall at the same time as the iPhone 15.

While USB-C is a great feature addition for the AirPods Pro 2, Apple may add another one to the mix.

Gurman writes that a new hearing test feature will play "different tones and sounds" to allow the AirPods to work out how well a person can hear. "The idea is to help users screen for hearing issues, not unlike how the Apple Watch ECG app checks for heart problems," he writes.

Though the feature may be the more immediate of its kind, Apple may still have more health-related changes in mind. Gurman believes Apple is keen to add more health sensors to AirPods, including being able to measure body temperature from the ear canal.

Patents and Applications

Patents and patent applications have pointed to Apple coming up with biometric sensing capabilities in an AirPods package, using the ear and a photoplethysmogram (PPG) sensor to monitor the heart rate and characterize blood flow in the ear's skin. There's also suggestions of things like an electrocardiogram sensor, impedance cardiography, galvanic skin response, VO2 sensing, and thermometers included in the device in filings dating back to 2017.

Some patents dating as far back as 2014 indicate Apple considered monitoring the heart rate, temperature, and perspiration of a headphone user, so the company has looked at the topic for many years already. Meanwhile, in 2018, other filings pointed to Apple creating a more secure fit for the AirPods, so that sensors could make better contact with the skin.

On the hearing health side, Apple does already provide some capabilities, including Live Listen to enhance a user's hearing by picking up audio from an iPhone. Meanwhile, Conversation Boost in AirPods Pro is an assistive technology to make it easier to hear nearby conversations.

For the moment, neither of these features are approved by the FDA nor qualify as a replacement for a hearing aid, though some have previously offered that AirPods can act as a cheap first step to accepting the need to wear a hearing aid. Even so, Apple is believed to be working to make these and other similar benefits it comes up with more "official" in the future.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,813member
    What??????
    williamlondonAnilu_777mike1
  • Reply 2 of 16
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    macxpress said:
    What??????
    Seems pretty straight forward to me, what's so surprising?
    williamlondonAnilu_777jellyapple
  • Reply 3 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,813member
    chutzpah said:
    macxpress said:
    What??????
    Whooosh! That went totally and completely over your head. LOL!!!  :D
    chutzpahappleinsideruserAnilu_777mike1bageljoeygrandact73h4y3s
  • Reply 4 of 16
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    macxpress said:
    chutzpah said:
    macxpress said:
    What??????
    Whooosh! That went totally and completely over your head. LOL!!!  :D
    Oh you :blush: 
    appleinsideruserwilliamlondonAnilu_777h4y3s
  • Reply 5 of 16
    DrummerladDrummerlad Posts: 20unconfirmed, member
    Why are they saying AirPods pro 2 is coming out when there has already been an AirPods pro 2?
    appleinsideruserwilliamlondonjellyapple
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Why are they saying AirPods pro 2 is coming out when there has already been an AirPods pro 2?
    See next article, a revision: https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/232645/the-future-of-airpods-involves-more-sensors-and-lower-prices
    rezwitsChris_Pelham
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 138member
    I seldom use wired charging for AirPods pro. The wireless charging is conveniently the way….
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I hope that at some point they're investing some research time into better fitting more people's ears.  I can't wear any of the AirPods for more than about 15 minutes without them falling out, even just sitting on my couch watching TV.  If I'm working out or eating, they'll be out in seconds.

My Beats Fit Pro stay in better, I can at least keep them in while working out, but I still have to push them back in every little while.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 842member
    I hope that at some point they're investing some research time into better fitting more people's ears.  I can't wear any of the AirPods for more than about 15 minutes without them falling out, even just sitting on my couch watching TV.  If I'm working out or eating, they'll be out in seconds.

My Beats Fit Pro stay in better, I can at least keep them in while working out, but I still have to push them back in every little while.
    I have the same wish, but don't hold your breath. For at least part of the population (of which I'm also a member) this has been an issue with AirPods since they debuted, and even wired EarPods before them, but Apple has never made any attempt to address this. I've never been able to get AnythingPod to stay in my ears. I just tried the AirPods Pro 2 and, as much as I want to love them--the ANC and sound quality are beyond anything I could have imagined, rivaling my AirPods Pro Max--they won't stay seated properly in my ear. The problem is more than just falling out of my ears. although they'll certainly do that if I'm moving around. Even if I'm sitting still, they'll gradually loosen a bit just from talking and facial movement, then I lose the seal of my ear canal and the sound quality goes to shite until I push them back in. 
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 10 of 16
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 842member
    The retention of the Lightning connector for the AirPods Pro 2 case was inexcusable for a late 2022 release. I might have given Apple a pass if the case was unchanged from the Pro 1 model, but they made a number of not-insignificant changes to the case, so a switch to USB-C would have been easy. Instead... and IF this rumor is true... I suspect we'll now get an option to trade-in for a USB-C case at $$$$. 
  • Reply 11 of 16
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,141member
    charlesn said:

I have the same wish, but don't hold your breath. For at least part of the population (of which I'm also a member) this has been an issue with AirPods since they debuted, and even wired EarPods before them, but Apple has never made any attempt to address this. I've never been able to get AnythingPod to stay in my ears. I just tried the AirPods Pro 2 and, as much as I want to love them--the ANC and sound quality are beyond anything I could have imagined, rivaling my AirPods Pro Max--they won't stay seated properly in my ear. The problem is more than just falling out of my ears. although they'll certainly do that if I'm moving around. Even if I'm sitting still, they'll gradually loosen a bit just from talking and facial movement, then I lose the seal of my ear canal and the sound quality goes to shite until I push them back in. 

Definitely not holding my breath, but it's more than a little disappointing when Apple, which prides itself on attention to detail and "it just works", hasn't figured something out.  I totally get not wasting time and effort on what is very probably a small minority of users, but I sure wish they'd do something, because as you say, the sound and ANC are fantastic.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Hearing test functionality like a beep test where you tap as soon as you hear a sound would be amazing feature and seems likely to be software only update (??).

The ear is also a centre of balance and maybe there is a way to combine AirPods and iPhone or Apple Watch for gait+balance tests for early warning on a range of conditions related to viral infection of the ear that impacts balance.

I am very much not an expert on any of this, my assumption is that adding a gyro + accelerometer to the AirPods would enable a lot of head/neck analytics, posture checks, balance etc. Such sensors may even help detection of nerve conditions that cause small involuntary movements of head or neck.

chronically tilted head may indicate asymmetry in neck muscle tone/tension causing chronic headaches. If able to model the hunch forward over keyboard and tilt head upwards to see screen then could measure time spent with subocciptiales in contracted state and increased improper load on neck vertebrae and posture associated issues such as rhomboid tension for a long time in a lengthened and weakened state which is another major cause of discomfort and back pain.

Apple seems to be wizards at miniaturisation and I sincerely hope they pursue health aggressively in their products as they have an opportunity to positively influence the lives of over a billion people.

appleinsideruser
  • Reply 13 of 16
    puiz666puiz666 Posts: 19unconfirmed, member
    You mean 3. What’s up with y’all and numbers? Last time it was about Invasion season 3 instead of 2. Payback time, or what?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    If AirPods can be made to be even basic hearing aids that is fantastic news.  I am border-line needing hearing aids but they are very expensive and only last about 5 years.  I’ll stay away from getting them as long as I can so if Apple can come up with something suitable, it is great news!  

On the question of fit, it is pretty impossible for an off-the-shelf item to suit everyone.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    If Apple can disrupt the hearing aid market in the same way iphone disrupted the phone market or iPad the tablet market that would be fantastic. The current market is way overpriced and ripping off mostly old people. This doesn’t sound like this feature would do that though.
    edited July 2023 muthuk_vanalingamappleinsideruser
  • Reply 16 of 16
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,141member
    entropys said:
    If Apple can disrupt the hearing aid market in the same way iphone disrupted the phone market or iPad the tablet market that would be fantastic. The current market is way overpriced and ripping off mostly old people. This doesn’t sound like this feature would do that though.
    Apple could disrupt the hearing aid market if they wanted to, but an actual hearing aid would fall squarely in the "medical device" category, and while the Apple Watch has some medical device functionality, it is not itself a medical device.  Among other things, they'd have to field a device that would fit everyone, not just the majority, and it would have to be adjustable to account for differing frequency sensitivity.  And for wide adoption, insurance companies would buy into it; without that buy-in, it seems like doctors would be less likely to prescribe it.