Firefox ending support for macOS Mojave and earlier versions

Posted:
in macOS edited July 2023

On Tuesday, Mozilla, creator of the web browser Firefox, announced that macOS Mojave and earlier won't get major updates past version 115 -- but security updates will keep coming for a year.

The release notes state that users running macOS 10.12, 10.13, and 10.14 will be migrated to the ESR 115 version of Firefox so that they continue to receive important security updates.

According to the Mozilla Wiki, Firefox 116 is set to release in August 2023. It will require users to be running macOS Catalina 10.15 or newer.

A support post notes that Mozilla follows Apple's ongoing practice of offering support the three most recent releases of macOS. As the post points out, macOS Mojave 10.14 received its last security update in July 2021.

Mozilla goes on to explain that maintaining its web browser for obsolete operating systems can become costly for Mozilla and downright dangerous for users. Firefox ESR 115 will continue to receive important security updates until September 2024.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bala1234bala1234 Posts: 145member
    JP234 said:
    When I got on the Google and read my AOL, I was devastated to hear that Firefox had died. He was one of my best friends in high school.

Pretty sure there is some funny reference there. But too dumb to comprehend what...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    bala1234 said:
    JP234 said:
    When I got on the Google and read my AOL, I was devastated to hear that Firefox had died. He was one of my best friends in high school.

Pretty sure there is some funny reference there. But too dumb to comprehend what...
    Nah, some old timers just enjoy being so oblique with their references that no one else has a clue what they’re talking about.
    watto_cobra