Apple pushing forward with 2024 OLED iPad Pro release

Posted:
in iPad

Apple is rumored to be on track to release an iPad Pro with OLED in 2024 -- and has postponed another product to meet the deadline.

OLED iPads still coming in 2024
OLED iPads still coming in 2024

In early 2023, rumors were indicating that Apple intended to update the iPad Pro lineup with new display technology. Although the current models feature Mini LED displays, there were speculations about the potential benefits of adopting OLED technology.

Apple already uses OLED technology in certain iPhone and Apple Watch models, and incorporating it into the iPad Pro could bring several improvements. A report on Friday from The Elec says Apple is still on track to launch an OLED iPad Pro in 2024.

The production of the 11-inch and 13-inch OLED iPads, which mark the first use of OLED technology in the Apple iPad series, will start in the first quarter of 2024. These OLED iPads will use low-temperature multi-crystalline oxide (LTPO) thin film transistor (TFT) technology and a hybrid OLED design consisting of a glass plate and thin film layer.

Switching to an OLED display offers numerous benefits, such as producing more vibrant colors, faster response times, better power efficiency, and wider viewing angles.

Simultaneously, the report projects that the introduction of the 13-inch and 15-inch OLED MacBook models by Apple has been delayed until 2027. The display technology behind these screens may require more advanced manufacturing processes, and the report claims that Apple is focusing on the iPad Pro first.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    These last two OLED articles seem to define LTPO differently.

use low-temperature multi-crystalline oxide (LTPO) thin film transistor (TFT) technology

LTPO TFT stands for Low-Temperature Polycrystalline Silicon Thin-Film Transistor.

It’s OLED a bit of a mystery…

Japheyjfabula1
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 606member
    We wantsies a 16” iPad Pro 
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I’m not sure why they would be bending over backwards for an OLED iPad. The displays we have now are perfectly fine. I even just now turned my iPad at an extreme angle and was still able to read it. I remember 20 years ago looking at a notebook (laptop) screen at an angle and it was totally washed out and looked so horrible. I’m sure it will look better with OLED just like SACD sounds better than CD. Not revolutionary. Actually, I’m only guessing, because I’ve never heard a SACD disc. I’ve never felt any burning desire to try it because CDs are perfectly fine. Same thing with OLED.  My OLED iPhone looks great, but I really can’t tell any difference. To my eyes, the last LCD iPhone screen looked just as good.
    retrogustodewmewilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 8
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Those will be M3 iPad Pros.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 138member
    Loved my 13”ipad pro mini led…..perfectly fine
  • Reply 6 of 8
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    I’m not sure why they would be bending over backwards for an OLED iPad. The displays we have now are perfectly fine. I even just now turned my iPad at an extreme angle and was still able to read it. I remember 20 years ago looking at a notebook (laptop) screen at an angle and it was totally washed out and looked so horrible. I’m sure it will look better with OLED just like SACD sounds better than CD. Not revolutionary. Actually, I’m only guessing, because I’ve never heard a SACD disc. I’ve never felt any burning desire to try it because CDs are perfectly fine. Same thing with OLED.  My OLED iPhone looks great, but I really can’t tell any difference. To my eyes, the last LCD iPhone screen looked just as good.
    I suppose Apple just wants to maintain its edge over everyone else currently in this product category or even thinking about jumping in with a competing product. Even though the current iPad Pros, and especially the M2 equipped ones, are so far ahead of the competition Apple knows that they can’t rest on their laurels and always have to be pushing forward.

The current M2 iPad Pros are magnificent machines with no serious compromises on the hardware side. I really can’t think of anything that I’d like to see done differently with the current iPad Pro hardware. The camera array is way beyond anything I’ll ever need on a tablet device. Coupled with the Magic Keyboard my M2 iPad Pro is easily my most frequently used non-iPhone Apple product. Sure, I’d like to see better file and window management and a few other software tweaks, but I’m not waiting impatiently on the sidelines for lack of an OLED screen. But Apple has to keep being Apple and I’m sure they’ll find a way to make me “need” whatever follows the current generation of iPad Pros. Ultimately we’re all better off because of Apple’s unstoppable quest for perfection. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I will be passing up an updated iPad and getting the Vision Pro instead.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    longfanglongfang Posts: 459member
    I will be passing up an updated iPad and getting the Vision Pro instead.
    Why not both?