New macOS malware steals bank info, crypto wallets & much more

Posted:
in macOS

A newly-spotted security threat called ShadowVault works in the background on macOS to access logins, banking details, and more personal data.

Malware illustration
Malware illustration

Macs have traditionally been less targeted by malware developers in part because of the security in macOS, and partly because it's presented a smaller target than Windows. It's still the case that Macs have fewer malware issues than PCs, but also it's being targeted by different types of security threats.

Now according to Guardz Cyber Intelligence Research (CIR), a new specific threat to macOS has been uncovered. CIR claims to have used "sophisticated covert operations" in order to identify ShadowVault while it was still being developed.

It's not clear whether ShadowVault has been seen in active use, nor how it is intended to be delivered once in the wild. Since it runs in the background on Macs, though, users presumably have to be tricked into downloading and running it.

ShdaowVault's technical specifications
ShdaowVault's technical specifications (source: CIR)

When discovered, ShadowVault was being offered for sale for $500 for one month. It claims to be able to extract "passwords, cookies, credit cards, wallets," and "all Chromium-based extensions."

How to protect yourself from ShadowVault

AppleInsider

has a thorough guide to protecting Macs against malware, phishing and more. In short, users can prevent security threats by being wary of anything unexpected -- and not following links or opening files unless certain they are genuine.

Many phishing attempts will be easily recognizable, but if in doubt, users should look for issues such as company names being spelt correctly in emails. Typing mistakes still seem to convince junk filters that the mail is from a real human being, but companies do not misspell their names.

They also don't include links to anywhere suspicious. While users should never click on a suspicious link, they can hover the mouse cursor over the link and see where it would really take them.

CIR says ShadowVault was specifically built to steal data from macOS devices. Describing it has having "potent capabilities," CIR also claims to have developed countermeasures for its clients.

Apple has not commented on ShadowVault.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6

Many phishing attempts will be easily recognizable, but if in doubt, users should look for issues such as company names being spelt correctly in emails. Typing mistakes still seem to convince junk filters that the mail is from a real human being, but companies do not misspell their names.

Yeah, this can be very confusing! :D :p ;)
    tokyojimuMplsPwatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 2 of 6
    How do you steal a Blockchain wallet remotely - you need the eleven random passwords made randomly and the passcode you create - as for a physical wallet like Ledger it only has 250 bites so no possible physical room for malware.  Plus the random words and so on... Blockchain is unhackable.  I once read the odds are one trillion to the exponent one million.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6

While users should never click on a suspicious link, they can hover the mouse cursor over the link and see where it would really take them.

Except for websites that use JavaScript to rewrite a link destination onclick. Tricky blighters. Then you need to secondary click, copy link, paste (or often just hover again). 
    watto_cobraAlex1NFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    BiCC said:
    How do you steal a Blockchain wallet remotely - you need the eleven random passwords made randomly and the passcode you create - as for a physical wallet like Ledger it only has 250 bites so no possible physical room for malware.  Plus the random words and so on... Blockchain is unhackable.  I once read the odds are one trillion to the exponent one million.  
    They steal credentials like private keys. There are a number of things they can do:

https://www.uptycs.com/blog/what-is-meduza-stealer-and-how-does-it-work
    https://cointelegraph.com/news/hodlers-beware-new-malware-targets-metamask-and-40-other-crypto-wallets
    https://www.techradar.com/news/google-removes-crypto-stealing-chrome-extensions-from-its-web-store

They can replace or modify a crypto browser extension to look like the official one and get you to enter the seed phrase.
    They can also try to extract data from the extension, people don't need to input the seed phrase every time they use a browser crypto wallet so some extensions are storing authentication details and that can be stolen to access the wallet.
    They can intercept wallet communication so the next time a transaction is made, it can send a different amount to a different destination.
    They can compromise emails that are used to access online crypto exchanges, maybe some emails have QR codes.
    They can put keyloggers in place to track any time a seed phrase is pasted somewhere.
    watto_cobraappleinsideruserAlex1NFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 6
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    One of the surest way to know whether an email is from a company you have an account with is that that company will know your user login name, account number or name on the account and will address you in their email by one or two, of those. My CC company do not start their email with .... "Dear  "CC name" account holder" or "Dear Customer" or by my email user name. They will always mention the last 4 digit of my CC. eBay addresses me by my eBay user name. ATT uses the last 4 digit of my mobile number. Amazon addresses me by my first name. Apple uses my first name and mention the last four of my account number. Netflix uses my first name.

If the email don't have any proof that they know who you are, you have no business clicking on any links in that email. Even if it's not a scam and just a company sending out advertising or promotional material. 

One of the sure give away that it's a phishing scam is when the email addresses you by your email user name and even if your email user name is your name, it will all be in  lower case and with no space between your first, (middle initial/name, if any) and last name. 

edited July 2023 BiCCjony0Alex1N
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Marvin said:
    BiCC said:
    They steal credentials like private keys. There are a number of things they can do:

https://www.uptycs.com/blog/what-is-meduza-stealer-and-how-does-it-work
    https://cointelegraph.com/news/hodlers-beware-new-malware-targets-metamask-and-40-other-crypto-wallets
    https://www.techradar.com/news/google-removes-crypto-stealing-chrome-extensions-from-its-web-store

They can replace or modify a crypto browser extension to look like the official one and get you to enter the seed phrase.
    They can also try to extract data from the extension, people don't need to input the seed phrase every time they use a browser crypto wallet so some extensions are storing authentication details and that can be stolen to access the wallet.
    They can intercept wallet communication so the next time a transaction is made, it can send a different amount to a different destination.
    They can compromise emails that are used to access online crypto exchanges, maybe some emails have QR codes.
    They can put keyloggers in place to track any time a seed phrase is pasted somewhere.

But they are not hacking the Blockchain, they are tricking stupid people.  Hacking a system and Tricking illiterates are Apples and Oranges.  Pick-Pocketing and voluntarily giving away your wallet would be the nearest comparison.  Why would you put your words on your device?  And you can't even do that on a Hard wallet.  It's not Malware.  Ledger gives you a beautiful little note pad to WRITE the 11 words down.  And who walks around with 80k on their Hard wallet?  Always connected?  Why would you make transactions in Public?  It's simply fake news.
    Alex1N